Weekend Spree - 9 to 11 February 2024

Ensign Cthulhu

Streamed on Saturday (a lot of CV), derped on Sunday. There was a 1500 ribbons mission, so out came the Smolensk. This was fun, apart from a Brisbane and Minnesota that camped on the backline in a co-op game and cost us the win. Finally found myself so close to 130 million credits that I just had to pull out the Khaba for one more ride. That new heal is nice.

Otherwise, read a lot. Took kids to activities. Nearly got bitten and clawed by one of our cats as punishment for disturbing its sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Viewed @Ensign Cthulhu's Twitch stream, yesterday.

Have been training my US Navy CV Captains with the mission chain (to use USN CV's to score bomb hits) which rewards Community tokens.
Sort of a win-win, for me.

Started derping-around sailing my Yorktown into randoms, today, with Commander A.L. Enterprise in temporary command.
Her planes aren't what I would call "nimble".  But they are something new & different, so I'm taking the time to learn their virtues, vices and qirks.

Had a "duel" with a Leander, today, simply because of how the game-play progressed from start of the match to the end of the match.
They were alone and in a key area and made a good target.
And after a couple of attacks, and some battle-chat banter, we got into a close-quarters scuffle.
I had fun, and so did they.
Yeah, they sunk me.  But it wasn't easy.   Good times.  🙂 

Currently watching the Super Bowl game while eating chicken-wings and pork ribs.  
The wife has opened a sample-size bottle of Jack Daniel's and is preparing for "take a shot" games involving camera appearances of Taylor Swift.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The wife has opened a sample-size bottle of Jack Daniel's and is preparing for "take a shot" games involving camera appearances of Taylor Swift.

Get a hepatologist on the line. NOW.

• Haha 4

I went 14-0 in Randoms over two days, while today Im 1-5 lol. I did run into CC Angry_Nerd in game today; he was giving away codes, and let me choose. I took a camo code because besides the camos, it granted ten of each Rare Bonus. Many thanks to him. 

• Like 2

I actually played a Carrier for the Bomb hit mission(s).......  And then, after I accepted a "division request" from one of our regular OPs team members, "assuming" we were staying in COOP, he loaded an OP with me in a Carrier.   And, I had no idea I was in Defense until........someone said "Hey Carrier, *what the doodle* are your going !"  Where not What BTW.

HOLY CRAP !  BLAT!  BOOM!! and *what the doodle* !   Apologized to all and felt "This _ Big".........  I will not live that down.........ever. 

Watched 5 minutes of the "woke bowl" and won't ever watch the NFL again.   Gave up baseball in 1994 and that still hurts.  I really can't say what I am thinking right now - too political.

BTW, I am allergic to cats.......  So, I "feel for you".......did the cat survive???  

17 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I only watched the last few minutes of the third quarter, all of the fourth, and OT.

That said, if I had taken a shot at each Swift sighting, I would have been passed out and missed OT.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Asym said:

And then, after I accepted a "division request" from one of our regular OPs team members, "assuming" we were staying in COOP, he loaded an OP with me in a Carrier.  

You know what happens when you ass u me. 😜

Take that up with the div commander, who should have told you.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Take that up with the div commander, who should have told you.

Ooooh, rest assured that was "discussed" for a few minutes and we had a good laugh....  Heck, we've known each other for several (>than 4) decades. 

it was a noodle neck, stupid head thing to do.......and, I should have figured it out a lot faster and reacted....

13 minutes ago, Asym said:

Ooooh, rest assured that was "discussed" for a few minutes

😂

Reminds me of a scene in a novel I read. The cops have just caught someone who shot one of their own (nonfatally), and the local Chief of Police comes in to visit the wounded patrolman in hospital to cheer him up, telling him, among other things: "And indeed, didn't I hit him with a few well-placed interrogations myself!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

That reminds me of a young doctor who was temporarily assigned to our TMC for training. I'd just sutured up a soldier who had gotten himself cut in a bar fight. The doctor asked me why I'd used interrupted sutures and not continuous ones. I said that I assumed that interrupted sutures were the way to go because I was suturing up an active soldier and not a bedridden hospital patient. He said "When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me." He was a real jerk. When he screamed at the TMC's NCOIC for calling him "captain" instead of "Doctor" he was quickly reassigned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

He said "When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me." He was a real jerk.

I would use interrupted anywhere but on the face and sometimes even there. But even if you were wrong, there were better ways to tell you. 

I understand why MD's get given officers' ranks, but they still need to understand that in order of battlefield command they are below the lowliest privates. That one seems to have let it go to his head, his preference for the Doctor honorific notwithstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Asym said:

I actually played a Carrier for the Bomb hit mission(s)....... 

🙂👍

11 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I only watched the last few minutes of the third quarter, all of the fourth, and OT.

That said, if I had taken a shot at each Swift sighting, I would have been passed out and missed OT.

Somewhere in the 3rd Quarter, my Wife decided "That's it.  I give up" and stopped drinking a "shot" every time that Taylor Swift was shown on television.
I agreed that it was a sensible decision.
That said, for a while it was an entertaining "side game" as drinking-games go.  🙂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I would use interrupted anywhere but on the face and sometimes even there. But even if you were wrong, there were better ways to tell you. 

I understand why MD's get given officers' ranks, but they still need to understand that in order of battlefield command they are below the lowliest privates. That one seems to have let it go to his head, his preference for the Doctor honorific notwithstanding.

Rank is not "Command"....  Doctors can not Command.  They can run TMC's and Hospitals for sure; but, they can not Command anything.   That may seem like a fine line and is splitting hairs;  but, Rank is not Command.

6 minutes ago, Asym said:

Rank is not "Command"....  Doctors can not Command.  They can run TMC's and Hospitals for sure; but, they can not Command anything.   That may seem like a fine line and is splitting hairs;  but, Rank is not Command.

Isn't that basically what I said? "In order of battlefield command, they are below the lowliest privates."

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

🙂👍

AND, an update.  I really wanted to work my way through Carriers and Bombing.  The Highest American CV I have are tier 8's. 

Guess what happened yesterday morning:  I found myself in a 2x7 COOP match with another human in a Cruiser.  We lost a COOP match.  And, was told in no uncertain terms what I should do.......  in a COOP match.   I simply could not kill anything - even after torpedo hit after hit after hit and I almost tripled the 15 bomb hits requirement.

Lesson learnt:  I am 100% done with Carriers.  I spent weeks bumping my WR in COOP to 98.7.....in one match, all that work reverts back to 98.6 with one loss.  99 is my goal.

So, I'm done.  I "couldn't win that match".......  It was almost as bad as the 1x8 or 2x7 MM bug COOP had before the Sub disaster.  Where you'd find yourself in a "weaker" non-OP ship fighting all by yourself.   That nightmare cost me three percentage points and it's taken years to get it back to 98.7.....only to lose a .1 to being tempted into playing a carrier....  Never, Never again.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Isn't that basically what I said? "In order of battlefield command, they are below the lowliest privates."

Yes, but many others whom read this Forum have never served....  Command is a distinction civilians rarely are exposed to; nor, understand what Command entails....

Wasn't stealing your point:  only adding to it because it is an important distinction....   And, Chaplains are in the same situation;  having Rank for pay purposes;  but, never Command positions.   Now, the Chief of the Medical Corps or Chaplain's Corp are commanding those corps....  Notice the loser case "c"........they aren't "Combat Commands".....   The distinction is important.  Command is........sigh.

Edited by Asym

3 minutes ago, Asym said:

in one match, all that work reverts back to 98.6 with one loss. 

This is why I don't sweat my win rate in co-op, because I know it's meaninglessly high and losses are so rare as to be remarkable. 

I also accept that two-person co-op in a CV is going to be an uphill battle and may result in a loss if the other human derps and the green bots are of the suck variety, but I still don't quit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Asym said:

Now, the Chief or the Medical Corps or Chaplain's Corp are commanding those corps....  Notice the loser case "c"

I think you meant LOWER case c, but the typo made me giggle. 🤣

Contrast an army made up of several Armies or Army Groups... The lower case army is the whole deal; the upper case Armies merely a part of it! (That's my WW1 history buff talking.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ensign Cthulhu said:

This is why I don't sweat my win rate in co-op, because I know it's meaninglessly high and losses are so rare as to be remarkable. 

I also accept that two-person co-op in a CV is going to be an uphill battle and may result in a loss if the other human derps and the green bots are of the suck variety, but I still don't quit.

Appreciate the salt mate.....ow !  I don't work that way.  I - hate - losing.  No matter where.  It's built in to win with me; even, if it is COOP....  I guess it depends on how you were raised and what you learnt playing competitive sports or, in my case, served in Combat Units....  Losing = death kind of wakes you up.  And, that thought is your reality and if it is, depending on the real life version of RNG, the odds are in your favor if you train to win....

So, to keep the chances of having a stroke down, I'll keep my Carriers for snowflakes and leave the Carrier fights to you and yours....  It's now a hard PASS for me.  Fool me once and all that.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I think you meant LOWER case c, but the typo made me giggle. 🤣

Contrast an army made up of several Armies or Army Groups... The lower case army is the whole deal; the upper case Armies merely a part of it! (That's my WW1 history buff talking.)

I hate that when that happens - tanks.

Just now, Asym said:

tanks

Wrong game. 😄

2 minutes ago, Asym said:

I guess it depends on how you were raised and what you learnt playing competitive sports

That the better team (or person, depending on the sport) deserves to win; and if you lost, you'd better find out what was lacking and improve it.

As for the Forces, I figured my congenital hypothyroidism would have kept me out. Otherwise I'd have joined the RAAF or RAN on my 18th birthday and never gone home again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asym said:

AND, an update.  I really wanted to work my way through Carriers and Bombing.  The Highest American CV I have are tier 8's. 

Guess what happened yesterday morning:  I found myself in a 2x7 COOP match with another human in a Cruiser.  We lost a COOP match.  And, was told in no uncertain terms what I should do.......  in a COOP match.   I simply could not kill anything - even after torpedo hit after hit after hit and I almost tripled the 15 bomb hits requirement.

Lesson learnt:  I am 100% done with Carriers.  I spent weeks bumping my WR in COOP to 98.7.....in one match, all that work reverts back to 98.6 with one loss.  99 is my goal.

So, I'm done.  I "couldn't win that match".......  It was almost as bad as the 1x8 or 2x7 MM bug COOP had before the Sub disaster.  Where you'd find yourself in a "weaker" non-OP ship fighting all by yourself.   That nightmare cost me three percentage points and it's taken years to get it back to 98.7.....only to lose a .1 to being tempted into playing a carrier....  Never, Never again.

Granted, a two humans plus 7 'bots team versus nine 'bots in a Co-op battle may appear daunting to a fledgling CV player.

That said, it could have been a heck of a "Kobayashi Maru" training experience to learn from.  🙂 

Two versions of the Kobayshi Maru test and subsequent (relevant) film clips combined in one video, enclosed for frame of reference purposes.

Win?  Lose?  Who cares?
The important thing was, in my silly mind, to use the opportunity for an intense training session and utilize all the CV's available ordnance, including sec-bat guns.  🙂 

If a team-mate gets salty about it, then that's their problem.  My job as a CV player is to play my best and learn from the experience.  🙂 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Asym said:

Appreciate the salt mate.....ow !  I don't work that way.  I - hate - losing.  No matter where.  It's built in to win with me; even, if it is COOP....  I guess it depends on how you were raised and what you learnt playing competitive sports or, in my case, served in Combat Units....  Losing = death kind of wakes you up.  And, that thought is your reality and if it is, depending on the real life version of RNG, the odds are in your favor if you train to win....

So, to keep the chances of having a stroke down, I'll keep my Carriers for snowflakes and leave the Carrier fights to you and yours....  It's now a hard PASS for me.  Fool me once and all that.....

And yet, there's an old saying which goes something like this...
"The more we sweat in peacetime, the less we bleed in war."

It's okay to take a break, even a *long break*.  Like a break lasting days or months or whatever.  But I hope you'll come back to CV's, someday.  🙂 

• Sad 1