Finally All old 19 p Captains are now at 21

Gnirf

Finally after more than 3 years I have got all my 59 19 p captains at the captain rework date January 2021 to 21 p It have taken longer than I expected but some of them were simply not a priority. Or had bad luck.

Daring took the spot of being the last one today.

image.png.934d6d14dc91c639555414f99ed255be.png

My strategy has slowly changed also with all new lines and the increasing numbers of Premium ships. The old 19 have been in many new lines shifted to 18 and only if I reach a substantial part over that or it is a ship I really want to have max on that I will play much I will go for 21 apart from the T10.

I have from captains on new lines or captains that were below 19 when rework was done further 18 or so.

In old times 19 were reached more easily and large part of the grinds were use of Elite XP. That Elite XP is now used for getting some Superships (DD, CA, BB) to 21 and it drains most of it. However I also have the principle of letting no captain stay on 13p so this point will always be eliteXp:d. So in essence if I look at my captains I have 10 as a minimum for all tech tree ships and then 14 as next step higher up the tiers from T8 at least. If I  do regrinds that often goes down, on some older BB lines it starts at T5 already.  

How about you? Have you got all old 19 to 21?

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 9

Once bitten, twice shy

I leveled enough commanders to 21pt for all the ships I play regularly and now in the process of stockpiling ECXP for the inevitable Commander Rework 2.0

Edited by Beleaf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Silly me.  None of my Commanders are at 21 skill-points, yet.  
Though, I could promote one of them from 20 to 21 points, at my discretion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Finally after more than 3 years I have got all my 59 19 p captains at the captain rework date January 2021 to 21 p It have taken longer than I expected but some of them were simply not a priority. Or had bad luck.

Imagine if you had more than just a captain who crews your ship. Let's say you had 4-5 officers who are responsible for different areas and you have to level them up to 21, too. Let's also say that you don't get the benefit of being able to have different skill sets for different classes. In essence, this is what you get in World of Tanks.

I played that game for 4x longer than I have World of Warships and I don't have any tank commanders that have all the available skills. Having stepped away from WoT and spending some time in WoWS makes clear how much better we have it here. I have accomplished more here in the short amount of time I've been playing (about 1.5 years). 

TBH, I love playing with tanks more than ships but the environment (its rules and mechanics, players included) is a lot better here. I have 3 21-pointers and around 3 18-pointers in the wings.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Finally after more than 3 years (clipped).

WG smiles. That must have been the point all along.

For me, hell... I don't even know. All my special commanders are 21pt and churn out a bunch of ECXP so I can usually boost anyone I need up to specs that are necessary for what I do. I don't remember how many 19pt guys I had at the time of the rebork.

My Lutjens gets most of the workload in Ops on my KM premiums. I think he could feed a small country.

• Like 3

I have some, but not many. I haven't prioritized this, if I've done any grinding it's been for the ships, not the captains. I shy to allocate that many points anyway, except maybe a few key commanders. Post the WG captain skill screw-up, I mean rework, I can't get the builds I want in WoWS anyway.

• Like 3

I got all my 19 point captains to 21 I have a lot of 21 point commanders. Unfortunately I need a 25 point Captain because I still stink and have been in a real rut since December. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I used to have a 19pt commander in the T10 of every line in the game. Since the rework I lost interest, and I couldn't tell you offhand how many 21 pointers I have. I just know my most regularly played ships all have one.

• Like 2

All my special commanders have 21 points plus 2-4 regular ones for almost each nation.

• Like 2

I have... 7 of them (Halsey and three more USN randos, Yamamoto, Lutjens, and Sansonetti). I probably could have had a bunch more, but my main focus has been on getting all of my commanders up to "minimum acceptable" standards, rather than maxing them out, which to my thinking is anywhere between 10 and 15 points depending on the ship (and whether or not I intend to keep playing said ship after I've ground past it).

I've also been playing significantly less over the last year, so there's that, too.

• Like 2

Commander rework 2.0 coming out July 2024.   100 point captains!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

None of my Commanders are at 21 skill-points, yet.  

Me neither tho one is close. I do have a dedicated commander for all my 100+ ships - mainly I try to get them all to 10 pts (which most are by now, or higher).

• Like 4

I only had 19, 19-pointers and just recently promoted the last one to level 21, so I admire the OP's tenacity in promoting 59 captains.  I actually have more than 19 highest level captains in port today as I simultaneously ground up a few captains in my favorite ships. 

Nevertheless, I am with @Beleaf in anticipating that the whole exercise will have to be repeated once WG moves the bar again.   

• Like 2

I realized it was pointless trying to get all my commanders to 21 because I simply don't play enough to farm the massive amounts of ECXP I would need - or rather, I play a lot, but it's mostly co-op and I don't want to use blue or red boosters there. I do, however, have far more 21 pointers now than I had 19 pointers just before the changeover.

Some of my 19s have been promoted; some of my current 21 pointers were never 19 pointers but were promoted from lower levels. Ultimately, because I have premium ships in every nation in the game, I hatched a compromise plan to make sure that every nation has at least one 21 pointer. That was achieved late last year.

My current goal is to get the remainder of my special commanders who aren't yet there to 21 points. By this I mean Halsey (recently done), Sansonetti, Swirski, Auboyneau, Kuznetsov, Zhenbing, Cunningham - the ones with talents that can be activated.  This will probably take a while, because I'm a little burned out from 2023's efforts and looking to wind it back in the first half of this year, plus I've got several IRL things to do that may keep me away from the game for a week at a stretch. Never mind; I'll get there eventually.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 2

Hi all,

On 2/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, Gnirf said:

Daring took the spot of being the last one today.

image.png.934d6d14dc91c639555414f99ed255be.png

My strategy has slowly changed also with all new lines and the increasing numbers of Premium ships. The old 19 have been in many new lines shifted to 18 and only if I reach a substantial part over that or it is a ship I really want to have max on that I will play much I will go for 21 apart from the T10.

I have from captains on new lines or captains that were below 19 when rework was done further 18 or so.

In old times 19 were reached more easily and large part of the grinds were use of Elite XP. That Elite XP is now used for getting some Superships (DD, CA, BB) to 21 and it drains most of it. However I also have the principle of letting no captain stay on 13p so this point will always be eliteXp:d. So in essence if I look at my captains I have 10 as a minimum for all tech tree ships and then 14 as next step higher up the tiers from T8 at least. If I  do regrinds that often goes down, on some older BB lines it starts at T5 already.  

I have 49 "Silver" Tier X ships and I try to put 21-point captains on all of them (i.e. that is my system - best captains are on Tier X "Silver" ships).

In past years I have succeed doing that and only carriers and submarines there have 17-18-19-20 point captains (I really don't play those classes much).

So... 41x 21-point captain there (and 8x 17-18-19-20-point captains for carriers and submarines)...

I also have few other favorite ships (Tier IX and Tier VIII) for which I also have 21-point captains - 3x more 21-point captains there.

In total 44x 21-point captains for me currently...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 2

I used the event some years back when WG changed so you could have the same captain on a silver and lots of premium ships at the same time. So, I invested a lot of credits to "kill off" a lot of 12–14-point captains so I could fill up all my Legendary captains and a few more to 21 points.

So since I mostly play one strong silvership of every nation but also have a lot of strong premiums in same nation I have my legendary captain trained for the silvership but also use the same legendary captain for all my premiums so I get his buffs in pretty much all games I play.

Halsey: Annapolis (silver) but also Ohio, Missouri, Kearsarge, Illinois, Massachusetts, Sherman.

Cunningham: St.Vincent (silver) but also Thunderer, Malta, Cossack, Belfast, 

Sansonetti: Venezia (silver) but also Napoli, Marco Polo, FR25

etc etc etc 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Commander rework 2.0 coming out July 2024.   100 point captains!

That should keep the game burning... err, running for another 1/4 century!

Hi all,

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I used the event some years back when WG changed so you could have the same captain on a silver and lots of premium ships at the same time. So, I invested a lot of credits to "kill off" a lot of 12–14-point captains so I could fill up all my Legendary captains and a few more to 21 points.

So since I mostly play one strong silvership of every nation but also have a lot of strong premiums in same nation I have my legendary captain trained for the silvership but also use the same legendary captain for all my premiums so I get his buffs in pretty much all games I play.

Halsey: Annapolis (silver) but also Ohio, Missouri, Kearsarge, Illinois, Massachusetts, Sherman.

Cunningham: St.Vincent (silver) but also Thunderer, Malta, Cossack, Belfast, 

Sansonetti: Venezia (silver) but also Napoli, Marco Polo, FR25

etc etc etc 

As years progressed some choices stuck forever and I have this distribution (but they serve many other "Premium" ships as well):

Japan:

• Yamamoto Isoroku = Yamato

USA:

• William F. Halsey Jr. = Montana
  • John Doe = Des Moines
  • Alexander Ovechkin = Gearing

UK:

• Andrew Cunningham = Conqueror
  • Jack Dunkirk = Minotaur
  • Bert Dunkirk = Daring

France:

• Mogador = Philippe Auboyneau
  • Jean-Jacques Honoré = République

Russia:

• Nikolay Kuznetsov = Kremlin
  • Alexander Ovechkin = Delny
  • Viktor Znamensky = Petropavlovsk

Germany:

• Günther Lütjens = Schlieffen
  • Franz von Jütland = Hindenburg

Pan Asia:

• Dà Róng = Yueyang
  • Sa Zhenbing = Not assigned yet

Italy:

• Luigi Sansonetti = Venezia

Netherlands:

• Klaas Janssen = Gouden Leeuw
  • Michiel de Ruyter= Not assigned yet

Leo "Apolo11"

• Like 3

Just bought Philippe Auboyneau who was the only Legendary I was missing, missed that whole event when you could get him for free. 

Do you guys use him on a specific ship? Because in my mind the two Honoré brothers are almost better on most ships considering their special skills. Sure his HP buff is pretty good for Kleber and Marceau, but so was the improved turret turning and buffed Adrenaline rush as well. Also not really the best special talents on Phillippe.

• Like 1

Hi all,

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Just bought Philippe Auboyneau who was the only Legendary I was missing, missed that whole event when you could get him for free. 

Do you guys use him on a specific ship? Because in my mind the two Honoré brothers are almost better on most ships considering their special skills. Sure his HP buff is pretty good for Kleber and Marceau, but so was the improved turret turning and buffed Adrenaline rush as well. Also not really the best special talents on Phillippe.

I have him here  (plus he is commanding other "Premium" ship classes)...

France:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I agree the Honre brothers Dunkirk, Znamensky brothers and for that matter a lot of the seasoned captains are a great deal for 35k coal compared to the 180K for the special captain.

In many cases they have more enhanced skills then the special captain.  For the average player the perks of some of the special captains to kick in can be hard with the exception of maybe Lutjens who's great. Value wise these seasoned captains are great and I would target them first if I didn't already have.

• Like 5

On 2/11/2024 at 5:09 PM, Gnirf said:

Congratulations, @Gnirf

I did not have a strategy or a plan to systematically bring my 19 pointers to 21. What I did then was to promote Halsey and Yamamoto to 21 points when the rework went live. The reasoning behind it was that I was 99.99% playing Co-Op and Operations at that point in time, so it made sense for me to earn EXCP from captains on ships that I play almost everyday: Atlanta, Myoko.

Other than that, each time WG provides 100% or 200% XP bonus, I maximized it, making the process to earn CXP much faster. Now, I have all Unique Commanders, and all of them are at 21 points. I also have at least one 21-pointer for each nation, with the USN having the most number of Navy Elite captains at five (5).

Along the way I have promoted captains to 21 points; some of them went from 16 to 21, such as the captain I assigned to Brisbane. I checked earlier and I have around 7.6M ECXP unused. I might use it to promote a few, though I am not that inclined to do it now as it is not urgent and there is no felt need.

Looking back, I think my best use (so far) of ECXP went to Lutjens and Kuznetsov. Their special skills have been very useful in both PVP and PVE modes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

He released alongside the French DD line, and his skills and talents are heavily tailored for those ships vs. cruisers and BBs. He also predated the commander skill rework, so like a lot commanders from that time he favors specific classes over others (for example, the US commanders are very much optimized for BBs and CAs and their skills are useless on DDs and CVs). This is in contrast to Lutgens, for example, who was designed specifically to work well on any of the four classes that existed at the time.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

Fun Fact: I never managed to max out any Captain, I think the closest I got was a German dude midway into 20. 

For a F2P, the hardest grind there is in this game is maxing out Captains. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I have him here  (plus he is commanding other "Premium" ship classes)...

France:

Leo "Apollo11"

Yeah, I also put him on Kleber/Marceau, but im conflicted. A HP buff with survivability expert is nice but same could be said about faster turrets and boosted Adrenaline rush.

I will have to try him out a bit, but Honoraré brothers are very strong as seasoned commanders.

14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Fun Fact: I never managed to max out any Captain, I think the closest I got was a German dude midway into 20. 

For a F2P, the hardest grind there is in this game is maxing out Captains. 

For me its the easiest, but that is of course me running Legendary in every game I play also with Captain XP boosters on the ships.

• Like 1