Camo Rework, moving forward. “Mini-PSA”

Utt_Bugglier

I’ve hung on to about 13M credits’ worth of old camos simply because I like the way they look. (Hunter, European, “Great White Fleet, “ ‘Murica!”, some of the standard ones, etc.)

Approximately 550 camos, all told.

Never used any, except for the occasional accidental use.

Since the rework would seem to establish their in-game value for some time to come, (no big increase in their credit value lurking in the mist) I’m going to sell them off.

I had thought of keeping a few on-hand,  but the inventory behavior shows me:

1. You don’t need an expendable version of a camo in inventory to buy a permanent version of it, and,

2. Your count of an expendable in inventory doesn’t decrease when you buy a perma-version of it.

I had been under the impression we would be converting expendables to permanents, but we are not - we’re just buying them.

So, if you’re just hanging on to them, the rework doesn’t require them; you can let them go now.

If you’ve counting credits vs. Temp camos in inventory or temp camos you buy, it takes longer to pay off the cheaper camos:

The ones that cost 90,000 to buy, will be paid for in 100 battles on the ship you put them on. (Perma price 9M) It will take 267 battles to payoff the cheap standard camos that go for 22,500. (Perma price 6M)

If you have stockpiles in inventory, the “theoretical payoff” is twice that number, because they sell for half.

But it is only theoretical:

If you play a ship(s) frequently and know you are going to burn through inventory, and know you will buy perma versions on certain ships later, you come out ahead by not doing the “later” - just go ahead and sell inventory to extract the credits.

Port queens/infrequenly played ships:

Personal judgment call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And:

Don’t forget that permacamos can go on any ship of any tier now. No more pernacamos only for T6 and up, a few select T5s, and premiums.

My Clemson is proudly festooned with some Stars and Stripes, and St. Louis is in some Great White Fleet livery.

• Like 1

I sold off the cammos a long time ago.

Most of the paint skins are utterly ugly to me and therefore worthless.

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Most of the paint skins are utterly ugly

You are not wrong, tho it is in the eyes of the beholder. Used to use a mod which rendered most camo's historically 9 (more) accurate and also visually pleasing close to RL navy schemes/colours. Sadly the modder invited me to go Discord, to continually uopdate the mod, which I politely declined.

therefore worthless

Actually.... I did conduct some experiments in this direction and some (few) camo's have an actual, visually disruptive effect, as they were IRL intended,  albeit arguably small. Others have quite an opposite effect.

• Like 1

I sold off the cammos a long time ago.

Really. I would have thought the time it took you to sell them would have cost you too much real money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

1. You don’t need an expendable version of a camo in inventory to buy a permanent version of it,

I thought you had to have it in inventory, so I went and checked. Yes, this is correct - but don't you have to have possessed at least one example of it at some stage?

1 hour ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Really. I would have thought the time it took you to sell them would have cost you too much real money.

The process was actually quite easy.

It was worth it though.

58 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I thought you had to have it in inventory, so I went and checked. Yes, this is correct - but don't you have to have possessed at least one example of it at some stage?

That I don’t know. I never made a historical record of each unique camo I ever had. It would have been necessary to keep a record of every camo it was possible to obtain as well.

A few people presenting screenshots from their Exterior tab should show one way or the other. (excluding the non-buyable types)

Either way, my tastes run toward the hum-drum grey tones - so I have access to all I need.

I just bought a white perma-camo for my Massachusetts. It cost 7 million credits but I'll make that back in ten matches. I like it because it just looks so darn cool.

shot-24-02-08-18-40-59-0921.jpg

• Like 2

most of the perma camos i will never use...except for a few that are actually camos and not glow in the dark clown suits

i absolutely hate getting them as a mission reward...i feel ripped off every time since they do nothing.

if we can not sell them then i hope there will be an opportunity to trade them in during a future salvage for victory event

Edited by derf
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, derf said:

most of the perma camos i will never use...except for a few that are actually

But you’re losing out, because actually

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

But you’re losing out, because actually

yeah   i spazzed on my keyboard while typing and hit enter when i din't mean to...actually  🤪

edited to finish post

Edited by derf
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, derf said:

most of the perma camos i will never use...except for a few that are actually camos and not glow in the dark clown suits

i absolutely hate getting them as a mission reward...i feel ripped off every time since they do nothing.

if we can not sell them then i hope there will be an opportunity to trade them in during a future salvage for victory event

Hey, all the ones you could sell before the rework, you can still sell now, so they’re still good for credits. The early speculation that you couldn’t sell camos any more was incorrect.

You can’t sell the new permacamos you buy, though, like before.

2 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Hey, all the ones you could sell before the rework, you can still sell now, so they’re still good for credits. The early speculation that you couldn’t sell camos any more was incorrect.

You can’t sell the new permacamos you buy, though, like before.

You can not sell the one use camos that are tied to collaborations like that holodive whatever or Twitch camos. Seems you can not sell the Lunar NY ones either. 

24 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

You can not sell the one use camos that are tied to collaborations like that holodive whatever or Twitch camos. Seems you can not sell the Lunar NY ones either. 

Yeah, you’re right. I never pursue those, never retain them in mind.

1 hour ago, derf said:

About half a rung above "symbols".  Useless fluff.

I have at least a couple hundred perma camos that I dont use because I hate how they look (someone in a previous post called then "glow in the dark clown suits, I concur); some ships have four such unusable skins, and of course these cant be sold. 

Ive bought a few permanent versions lately that I like. I guess I could sell off the ~1K single use paints I still have, but its not a major issue since Im at 1.3 billion credits.