Uh oh, Simpleton has a Thunderer

Justin_Simpleton

I received some gifted santa crates last night and the Thunderer was one of the ships I got.

Some notable Wiki items regarding this ship:

Thunderer was released September 16th, 2019 in the Armory for coal. Wargaming has announced the ship will no longer be available to obtain with the release of Update 0.10.1 in early 2021.

Cons: Playing her can occasionally result in your getting reported by several members of the enemy team due to sheer frustration.

Commander Skills

Key skills for Thunderer commanders include Superintendent to provide her with an additional charge of her consumables.

This ship was released for coal when I was about three months into this game.  I’ve been on the receiving end of this ship since it was taken off the market.  I’ll be watching some old videos about how to play this ship and I plan to aggressively take my revenge on unsuspecting newbies.

Has anyone noticed a decline in karma playing this ship?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Who cares enjoy that ship and kick some butt that was a nice pull. Just remember I gave you a +1 if you see me in her.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I received some gifted santa crates last night and the Thunderer was one of the ships I got.

Some notable Wiki items regarding this ship:

Thunderer was released September 16th, 2019 in the Armory for coal. Wargaming has announced the ship will no longer be available to obtain with the release of Update 0.10.1 in early 2021.

Cons: Playing her can occasionally result in your getting reported by several members of the enemy team due to sheer frustration.

Commander Skills

Key skills for Thunderer commanders include Superintendent to provide her with an additional charge of her consumables.

This ship was released for coal when I was about three months into this game.  I’ve been on the receiving end of this ship since it was taken off the market.  I’ll be watching some old videos about how to play this ship and I plan to aggressively take my revenge on unsuspecting newbies.

Congratulations on your new Thunderer.
Enjoy.  🙂 

• Like 1

My sig is a gif of Thunderer spanking a Neptune

video version

Edited by Efros
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Nah, no more than usual.  Awesome ship, enjoy it!

Some good memories on her...

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif

59 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Thunderer is not as strong as she used to be. She received two subsequent main battery range nerfs after her removal and there is a lot more 32mm overmatch in the game nowadays.

She’s still a good ship, just not as stupid as she used to be, as she’s forced to play closer (or sacrifice reload for range mod) in a more dangerous environment without a superheal like her UK BB counterparts. She did just get proper ASW airstrike range, though. Just don’t forget that you have very good (and accurate) AP. Too many players spam HE all the time with Thunderer, at which point you might as well play Conqueror instead.

• Like 1

In my first battle the enemy had a S. Thunderer and I have no idea what that is, but I know that a Khabarovsk DD will tear me apart (gotta get one of those).

Edited by Justin_Simpleton

7 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Thunderer is not as strong as she used to be. She received two subsequent main battery range nerfs after her removal and there is a lot more 32mm overmatch in the game nowadays.

She’s still a good ship, just not as stupid as she used to be, as she’s forced to play closer (or sacrifice reload for range mod) in a more dangerous environment without a superheal like her UK BB counterparts. She did just get proper ASW airstrike range, though. Just don’t forget that you have very good (and accurate) AP. Too many players spam HE all the time with Thunderer, at which point you might as well play Conqueror instead.

The nerfs didn't diminished Thunderer's potential, HE from max range is the trade mark of a bad player... Thunderer greatness lies in her flexibility to succesfully engage different types of enemies at different ranges with excellent maneuverability and concealment, she has no particular weaknesses to round it up. 

6 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

but I know that a Khabarovsk DD will tear me apart.

Use your Concealment to close the distance to DDs, when you materialize at 12km range with 8 barrels of highly accurate RN HE DDs start getting shivers down their spine. 

• Haha 2

Just now, ArIskandir said:

Use your Concealment to close the distance to DDs, when you materialize at 12km range with 8 barrels of highly accurate RN HE DDs start getting shivers down their spine. 

That would be a great situation.  In my battle, my flank mate DD ran away and let the Khabarovsk get behind me undetected and that was the beginning of the end.

29 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The nerfs didn't diminished Thunderer's potential, HE from max range is the trade mark of a bad player... Thunderer greatness lies in her flexibility to succesfully engage different types of enemies at different ranges with excellent maneuverability and concealment, she has no particular weaknesses to round it up. 

The nerfs dropped her range from 24.3km to 21.5km (11.5%). Thunderer has battlecruiser dispersion, 1.9 sigma, and 30mm overmatch, so her AP is dangerous at all ranges. One didn’t need to only HE spam from max range to feel the loss of that 2.8km of reach, especially considering that she lacks a spotter plane. Thunderer also does have a weakness: she has a typical high tier UK BB armor scheme (32mm everywhere) while lacking the healing potential of her tech tree counterparts to offset it. The problem with the ship has always been that her strengths (gunnery, concealment, and maneuverability) outweigh said weakness, and as I said she is still quite strong for a tier X BB (just not as broken as she used to be).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The nerfs dropped her range from 24.3km to 21.5km (11.5%).

As I engage at under 20km 99.9% of the time (most commonly in the 12-16km range), for me the missing range is irrelevant. Long range fire is rarely conclusive and only really useful against specific targets (cumbersome BBs that can overmatch you). 

28 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Thunderer also does have a weakness: she has a typical high tier UK BB armor scheme (32mm everywhere) while lacking the healing potential of her tech tree counterparts to offset it. 

I wouldn't call it a "weakness"... those are rather standard values, she might be not as durable as other heavier BBs, but she still does the work and isn't particularly "soft"... she's quite capable of taking a beating. 

21 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

As I engage at under 20km 99.9% of the time (most commonly in the 12-16km range), for me the missing range is irrelevant. Long range fire is rarely conclusive and only really useful against specific targets (cumbersome BBs that can overmatch you). 

Thunderer’s gunnery is consistent enough that big hits on broadside cruisers and BBs from max range were (and still are) quite possible. The loss of reach is by no means insignificant.

I also play my GK and Preussen inside 20km 99% of the time, but that doesn’t mean I don’t lament the loss of opportunistic shots when my spotter plane is on cooldown and I can’t reach out and touch those targets of opportunity (and their gunnery isn’t nearly as good as Thunderer’s).

Thunderer went from having very good range for her tier to the mid-to-low bracket. Her concealment means the nerf wasn’t as punishing as it would have been on other BBs, but the nerf was still substantial, especially considering how good Thunderer’s guns are at long range.

21 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I wouldn't call it a "weakness"... those are rather standard values, she might be not as durable as other heavier BBs, but she still does the work and isn't particularly "soft"... she's quite capable of taking a beating. 

32mm extremity armor is common on high tier BBs. French and UK BBs, however, are notorious for being covered in 32mm armor at high tiers. French BBs tend to have high speed and a spaced armor scheme to minimize the impact, while most UK BBs offset this fragile armor with increased healing potential. Thunderer has always been a “soft” BB, and the greater presence of 32mm overmatch at high tiers (especially among tier XI BBs) means that soft armor scheme is a greater weakness than it has ever been.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

In my first battle the enemy had a S. Thunderer and I have no idea what that is

That was only an S. Thunder you were facing , no -er. You're using a ThunderER, so your ship is clearly superior /s 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In my first battle the enemy had a S. Thunderer and I have no idea what that is, but I know that a Khabarovsk DD will tear me apart (gotta get one of those).

Scarlet Thunder is a modified T9 Tech Tree Duncan. IIRC all of the changes are reductions to her firepower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I wouldn't call it a "weakness"... those are rather standard values

Except its not standard at all. Yes extremities such as bow and stern are standardized at 32mm, but British (and French) battleships have their ENTIRE SHIP covered in 32mm. Everyone else has anywhere from 38-50mm of armor. Yamato, which has a 32mm upper belt, at least has a 50mm deck.  Conq, Repub, and Thunderer don't have such a luxury. 

The tightest COOP game I've ever had was in Thunderer.

Just jump to the last 30 seconds

Edited by Efros

Congrats!

If you have Cunninham, you probably dont need to waste cap skills for Superintendent since you get extra heal for free after Witherer and that is usually after playing 8 min in Thunderer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Yep, collecting 100+ k of fire damage and Arsonist medals usually makes your karma go to 0 after a while

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

In my first battle the enemy had a S. Thunderer and I have no idea what that is,

Scarlet Thunder was the event ship featured in the “Retrofuturism(?)” event last year (reused assets originally intended for a collaboration with a Russia-based game - MK got the collaboration). She’s essentially a Duncan hull modified to be more “battleship” than battlecruiser (32mm extremity armor, BB dispersion, etc.).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

the Thunderer was one of the ships I got.

Quit boasting. Wasn't getting 'lucky' receiving it enough? &, furthermore, may you get sunk a lot while playing it.

Edited by Aethervox
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Bored 1

3 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Quit boasting. Wasn't getting 'lucky' receiving it enough? &, furthermore, may you get sunk a lot while playing it.

It's not often I have something to crow about and I've noticed others show they get lucky. Not for me?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Is this a troll post?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1