WOT: another forum bites the dust...

Verblonde

Looks like the WOT fora are meeting a similar end to the WOWS ones: https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/community-update-wot-forum-yt-consolidation-feb24/

I wonder if the WOT crowd will be any more likely to buy into WG's dubious justifications for the move (basically it's the same line they spun us)? I'll be curious to see if anyone in the WOT community steps up in the same way as those noble folk who founded Dev Strike.

Incidentally, if anyone has a WOT account they use, there's a freebie cammo style available if you click a button in the news article.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

People cant complain if there is no place to complain haha

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

I just popped onto the WOT EU forum: I get a striking sense of deja vu - the excuses parroted by WG staff are absolutely identical to what we got when the WOWS forums got the chop, and just as much nonsense.

It's almost like having the old forum back for a moment, only with tank-themed emojis!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Well, I guess it is the way of the world. Everything going faster and with less need for attention spans. A tik tok kid of course has more affinity to short lived discord BS than to an elaborate forum with long reads and meaningful content. I see that with my own kids, they are very eager to watch 30 sec videos, but hard pressed to watch a 45 min show, much less a full movie. While I am the exact oppsite, those short clips are in most cases just a waste of time (like 1 in 10 is actually funny), whereas I tend to watch show episodes in bundles of at least 3...

I suppose I am a relic from a bygone era. Convenient for WG that what the youngins like also makes it much easier for them to censor communications, remove criticism and not record traces from their shenanigans in the past.

Just glad that there still are enough other relics to have a place like here 🙂

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I just popped onto the WOT EU forum: I get a striking sense of deja vu - the excuses parroted by WG staff are absolutely identical to what we got when the WOWS forums got the chop, and just as much nonsense.

It's almost like having the old forum back for a moment, only with tank-themed emojis!

They are not happy on the NA or EU forum over this. Some who are also WoWs players are telling them about the debacle going to Discord and dropping the WoWs WG forum was for Warships. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

Well, I guess it is the way of the world. Everything going faster and with less need for attention spans. A tik tok kid of course has more affinity to short lived discord BS than to an elaborate forum with long reads and meaningful content. I see that with my own kids, they are very eager to watch 30 sec videos, but hard pressed to watch a 45 min show, much less a full movie. While I am the exact oppsite, those short clips are in most cases just a waste of time (like 1 in 10 is actually funny), whereas I tend to watch show episodes in bundles of at least 3...

I suppose I am a relic from a bygone era. Convenient for WG that what the youngins like also makes it much easier for them to censor communications, remove criticism and not record traces from their shenanigans in the past.

Just glad that there still are enough other relics to have a place like here 🙂

Well, my attention span has been shot to hell due to... overarching issues, shall we say, but as my reflexes too have slowed down, I prefer the more tangible feel of a real forum to something that works more in tandem with a telex machine. Nobody's supposed to have been actually read that while the machine was still writing. Discord feels a bit like trying to read what a telex machine or a computer readout is while it's still in progress. Even afterwards, it feels exactly like trying to find one line in all of that casqade of a continuous paper that that just goes on and on.

Having said that, I actually prefer paper readouts to reading displays, but at least on a forum like Devstrike you can use various search functions to find the information.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

I suppose I am a relic from a bygone era.

I will have to admit that my attention span has shortened itself in the modern information era. Or, maybe, it always was short but in the past there were just less opportunities for distraction. Even back in the 80s, when I was in the museum late at night catching up on reading scientific journals, cataloging specimens, crunching numbers, or coding the database application I was developing, I'd still take frequent breaks to play Dig Dug (the only PC game I had at the time), play with the live animals we had in the museum, or read a chapter of the SciFi book I was reading at the time. Sometimes I'd go over to the physics department and play with their lab equipment because they had all the really fun toys. If there had been an Internet back then I'd probably have been on YouTube half the time and gotten even less done.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I will have to admit that my attention span has shortened itself in the modern information era. Or, maybe, it always was short but in the past there were just less opportunities for distraction. Even back in the 80s, when I was in the museum late at night catching up on reading scientific journals, cataloging specimens, crunching numbers, or coding the database application I was developing, I'd still take frequent breaks to play Dig Dug (the only PC game I had at the time), play with the live animals we had in the museum, or read a chapter of the SciFi book I was reading at the time. Sometimes I'd go over to the physics department and play with their lab equipment because they had all the really fun toys. If there had been an Internet back then I'd probably have been on YouTube half the time and gotten even less done.

What you describe is not so much lack of attention span, but procrastination. I have always been and still am very liable to do just what you describe. Doing stuff I like to do over doing stuff I should be doing. But reading a scify (or any really) book shows that there is attention span in you. Even gaming requires attention span in many cases, and wows is one of those that does. I could never get one of my kids to play WoWS, because it is too slow. Just like I could never play one of their games, where something does bling bling bling on the screen at all times.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

What you describe is not so much attention span, but procrastination.

No, that's not procrastination. it's being a biology grad student. In the morning, I'd get my student workers organized and assigned to their jobs, prepare and send out the daily requests for scientific specimens from other universities, go and teach my lectures and labs, meet with the museum director, order supplies, get a bite to eat, go out and help identify and count the bats that had been caught in the mist nets. Check to see that my students had fed the animals, cleaned their cages, and done their other work properly. Record the specimen inputs for the day. Thaw, skin, and make museum preparations of a couple of dozen frozen animals. Put the fresh skulls on the racks to dry and take the dried ones to the bug house and bring back the munched-on ones ones for the student workers to start cleaning on the next day. Prepare my lessons for the next day, catch a bite to eat, and then start on my night routine. I worked 18-hour days on a tight schedule, I didn't have time to put anything off. As for reading SciFi, that was about my only entertainment as I didn't have access to a TV or the money or time to watch a movie. In fact, I didn't even have the money for rent. For a year, I lived out at the animal house with my bugs and the research gophers a fellow student was working with. Other than for the smell and the noisy gophers, it wasn't half bad as it was heated and air-conditioned and had a toilet and sink too. Nobody ever asked me what I was doing out there at night because there were grad students working all night out at the agricultural research station all the time, not to mention that I was in charge of the building.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

My question, and this may be a can of worms, but should the Admin here create a WoT subforum here, on Devstrike, and open this forum to the WoT players, our admin had already done the hard part with getting us set up, so should we give them a new home away from WG?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, FltCaptAlan said:

My question, and this may be a can of worms, but should the Admin here create a WoT subforum here, on Devstrike, and open this forum to the WoT players, our admin had already done the hard part with getting us set up, so should we give them a new home away from WG?

While that's certainly a question for the Admins/Founders, I wouldn't object. Suspect the moderation requirements might be a little different though - the WOT fora tended to have a 'younger + stroppier' vibe than WOWS did...

• Like 1

It's obvious now, if it wasn't already, that Wedgie wants ignorant players in all their platforms (games) to maximize their profit margin. Critical thought & criticisms need not apply. I'm strictly F2P, myself, & have been since the great CV rework wreck (I'm a confirmed RTS CV player btw, but, the Dark Tower doesn't allow that anymore). As to WoT, I haven't played that for some years now - it's such a parody of what it once was. I'm afraid WoWS is rapidly headed the same route, as well, if it isn't already there.

• Like 4

I see the WoT transition learned absolutely NOTHING from the WoWs transition...

What a bunch of clowns.

• Like 5

(Please note that the following is my personal view and does not suggest or imply any alignment with or consideration of the thoughts and aims of other members of staff. It is as such, not very diplomatic, probably immature, and an emotional overreaction - but hey, we've been there before...)

3 hours ago, FltCaptAlan said:

The thought had occurred to me. They may indeed be experiencing a deja vu... Should we throw them a kisbee ring? The decision is one I cannot make. DevStrike! ceased being "my" site the moment the first content appeared, the first members and staff. I own, still, the dead skeleton. The flesh and life-blood is the community. Our top priority is to provide for this community, and thus it must remain. Structurally, we would have the space, but we'd have to mutilate the skeleton pretty bad. There'd need to be a common entry point to the site, as it were (devstrike.net). Which would mean that our membership, the essence of DevStrike!  existence, would need to adapt to go an extra step down the forum to reach WoWs forums proper (devstrike.net/WoWs). The bigger problem would be the inability of the infrastructure to keep subforums apart for sections such as latest posts, topics, unread posts, searches, member permissions, etc. Based on that alone, my view is, to begin with, that our site must remain for this community.

But...

Alternative options exist. Devstrike.net is moving fast to becoming free of the last vestiges of my meddling tendencies, shall we say, which is an essential step toward ensuring ultimate independence and long-term stability. It will happen. We are creating, as mentioned elsewhere (oh, somewhere in DiBs, most likely) a non-profit entity which shall cement this process. All fine and dandy, but this is the key. It is an independent, umbrella organization. See where this is going? Now, it is important to realize, that I wouldn't be able to play Tanks if my life depended on it. And I would not dare presume that in the entire Tanks community, there are not a dozen folks better skilled than I at creating a forum and getting it going. They should. If, however, they found they needed some help in setting up a similar site on this platform, it's possible that they could do worse than contact me about it. The crux being, they would need to provide their moderators, section managers and a community manager asap. They would also need to realize the new forum's costs are real, and provide the corresponding funding. But as a last straw in the search for rescue, yes, I would help.

But yet again,

as @HogHammer has just pointed out to me, they may already have their savior waiting in the wings. This site "https://forum.wotlabs.net/". which may well be able to satisfy the coming need completely. So the above yada yada, more for the extreme, hypothetical case that may never come to pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

And ironically, the game with by far the smallest population is the last to still have its forum…

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

And ironically, the game with by far the smallest population is the last to still have its forum…

For now...

Then again, maybe WG forgot about it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Looks like the WOT fora are meeting a similar end to the WOWS ones: https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/community-update-wot-forum-yt-consolidation-feb24/

I wonder if the WOT crowd will be any more likely to buy into WG's dubious justifications for the move (basically it's the same line they spun us)? I'll be curious to see if anyone in the WOT community steps up in the same way as those noble folk who founded Dev Strike.

Incidentally, if anyone has a WOT account they use, there's a freebie cammo style available if you click a button in the news article.

Thanks for sharing this sad news.

I don't play World of Tanks, but I'm sure a lot of people have had a lot of fun with it, over the years.

Perhaps DevStrike! could persuade World of Tanks players to create their own forum? 
How about naming it "TurretStruck!"?

Howtheylived_LastSamuraiandWorldofWarshipsforumsdeathmashupmeme_07-25-2023_.thumb.jpg.3a9aba18fa5d36f15a4ad7382edfddef.jpg  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Perhaps DevStrike! could persuade World of Tanks players to create their own forum? 

LandShip: A WoT community forum 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I had posted on the Asia WOT forum a month or so ago. It got some views, a couple replies and stayed near the top of the list for quite a while. It seems the forum was already dead.

No surprises. I had thought about playing a some of my rusty old tanks but all the changes to the interface had me somewhat confused and after playing the tutorials I decided yep, didn't want to go back. Nice tutorials though... WOWS needs something like that.

Guess I'll go clear up some disc space by uninstalling it again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

I had posted on the Asia WOT forum a month or so ago. It got some views, a couple replies and stayed near the top of the list for quite a while. It seems the forum was already dead.

No surprises. I had thought about playing a some of my rusty old tanks but all the changes to the interface had me somewhat confused and after playing the tutorials I decided yep, didn't want to go back. Nice tutorials though... WOWS needs something like that.

Guess I'll go clear up some disc space by uninstalling it again.

I have no experience with WoT Asia, forum or gamewise, but if it's the same as with WoWS, a lot of the players seem to be Chinese. The WoWS Asia English forum wasn't a beehive of activity either.

9 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

never visited that one, but isn't it dead on its own anyway due to the mentioned lack of players ? so no need for WG to worry about dissenting voices there ....

I am surprised that World of Warplanes didn't get the chop first. I know they are next. If that happens, their forum goers will go literally Kamikaze. They have low ball that platform (WoWP) to death in support. I got to say I am glad for DevStrike and its crew for being around. You need a library platform for information. Discord is not a depository for information.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

I got to say I am glad for DevStrike and its crew for being around. You need a library platform for information. Discord is not a depository for information.

👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

How about naming it "TurretStruck!"?

For a moment I read "TurretStuck!" 🤣...  

• Haha 6