Couple of youtubers coming as Captains in the upcoming Lunar patch!

Charon

image.thumb.png.c399078544430e07bfa57213eb96635b.png

Interested in seeing how Internets containers will be implemented. Hopefully its an entirely free event . 

• Like 3

I don't know any of these guys...

...but tis a good idea.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to the lucky youtubers chosen for this.

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I don't know any of these guys...

+1  Same for me.

• Like 2

I only recognize one name: Moistcritical

rest I'm drawing a blank.

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Like 2

I remember getting "The Mighty Jingles" in an event ,not long before the CC exodus.

How many others were there ?

Seen Stonebeard,none of the others.

Edited by Chysagon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chysagon said:

I remember getting "The Mighty Jingles" in an event ,not long before the CC exodus.

Jingles was kind of a 'special' one.
There is a 'Twitch' streamer girl one, but I don't think it represents one specific streamer.
Only other ones in game are the Hololive Vtubers.

• Like 2

I guess this is one of them.  Never heard of any of these guys.  Do they even play WoWs?

CouRage - YouTube

I will have to say I do feel this is somewhat of a slap in the face to the many and some very popular CCs WoWs already have in their ranks.

Sorry, but I just don't get it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chysagon said:

Seen Stonebeard,none of the others.

I found out about World of Warships from some Facebook advertising and subsequent youtube videos done by "The Mighty Jingles".
For a while, I merely watched his entertaining youtube content.  Eventually, I took the plunge and began playing World of Warships.
Over the years I've welcomed Commander Jingles to my Port (at least twice, because it's possible to have more than one of him in a player's fleet).

• Like 1

For what its worth have any of them played Wows?

No Lord_Zath,CarbuneCarlito,Wookie_Legend etc...hmm.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Jingles was kind of a 'special' one.
There is a 'Twitch' streamer girl one, but I don't think it represents one specific streamer.
Only other ones in game are the Hololive Vtubers.

I can remember watching youtube videos of Marine Houshou playing WOWs.
So, yeah, at least some of the Hololive Project personnel do (or at least did) play WOWs.
They don't limit themselves to playing just WOWs, though.  I've learned about a number of game's existence simply by seeing Hololive members play various games.
Otherwise I might not have known about the game in question.

1 minute ago, HogHammer said:

I guess this is one of them.  Never heard of any of these guys.  Do they even play WoWs?

CouRage - YouTube

I will have to say I do feel this is somewhat of a slap in the face to the many and some very popular CCs WoWs already have in their ranks.

Understandable sentiments.
First I've heard of the 5 youtubers was today, via the news article I found while logged-in to my Port screen.

• Like 2

Looks like they are picking youtubers with millions of viewer/subscribers for an appeal to a wider audience or the lowest common denominator.

As opposed to guys who almost play wows for a living.

Ignoring the remaining CCs is almost unforgiveable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Congrats to the lucky youtubers chosen for this.

+1  Same for me.

and me lol 😆

• Like 2

Just now, Chysagon said:

Looks like they are picking youtubers with millions of viewer/subscribers for an appeal to a wider audience or the lowest common denominator.

As opposed to guys who almost play wows for a living.

Ignoring the remaining CCs is almost unforgiveable.

Channel details

www.youtube.com/@CouRageJD

4.25M subscribers

1,590 videos

Joined May 21, 2013

I haven't looked at the others, yet.
But, as you pointed out, in a way, "quantity has a quality all its own" seems to be among WG/WOWs selection criteria.

Hmm cynical me,these guys with millions of viewers may be being used to advertise wows at a guess on the channels they have.

Bet at release they all play a few games with the respective in game counterparts,i could be wrong-but paid wows advertisers-cynical me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

CouRage - YouTube

WG is looking for hype men, not critical commentary or feedback.

These are simply the equivalent of celebrity endorsements you see all over the place in advertisement.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chysagon said:

Hmm cynical me,these guys with millions of viewers may be being used to advertise wows at a guess on the channels they have.

Bet at release they all play a few games with the respective in game counterparts,i could be wrong-but paid wows advertisers-cynical me.

That is the idea. WG is riding on these guys popularity and the demographic of their audience.

• Like 2

just a stop gap measurre till they get their AI generated youtoob CCs perfected

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chysagon said:

While I've no direct proof or documentation ...

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

What, no sight of Flamu?

Please, perish the thought.  😄 

2 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

That is the idea. WG is riding on these guys popularity and the demographic of their audience.

... it does seem like an advertising/marketing ploy to gain players.  🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

... it does seem like an advertising/marketing ploy to gain players.

It is standard industry practice to tap influencers in the hope that their audience will be converted into a new batch of customers/players, hopefully ones that purchase from the Premium Shop.

• Thanks 3

Why does one of them have.. pointy ears?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Why does one of them have.. pointy ears?

Cosplay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Cosplay?

Sounds likely. Though.. now I'm curious why I was bothered by the ears and completely neglected the axe and the sword...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Chysagon said:

That's not cynicism; it's almost certainly merely being realistic. While it would be Good Form for WG to turn some of their existing popular streamers/YouTubers into captains, it probably wouldn't move the dial much in terms of attracting new punters.

As you point out, these people have millions of eyeballs on their output; presumably, WG are hoping that a percentage can be turned into new paying consumers of their wares...

42 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

What, no sight of Flamu?

WG staff would rather die than associate with the most popular of their game's social media influencers...

The mind boggling stupidity of this is just....boggling.

But, there it is.

41 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

WG is looking for hype men, not critical commentary or feedback.

These are simply the equivalent of celebrity endorsements you see all over the place in advertisement.

That seems to be the case.

The question I have then is...what is the market for people to buy captains with the voices of YouTubers we haven't heard of...?

Maybe it's good...I don't really know.

• Like 3