NOT the WoWS Hall of Fame 2023

majmac

I was just reading the top scorers as published by WG in their news.

No surprise: First, third and fourth places in the highest-scoring base XP for the whole of 2023 were submarines.

Then there is this YouTube video in which Ripper DD outlines (using the minimap) why submarines have 'ruined the game'.

I am sure we have all noticed the changes in game play when there are SSs in the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Bored 1

WoWs Hall of fame - > submarine complaint thread. 

I object to this method of thread headlining. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

WoWs Hall of fame - > submarine complaint thread. 

I object to this method of thread headlining. 

I object to your objection

But yes, the title is a tad misleading.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Admiral_Karasu changed the title to NOT the WoWS Hall of Fame 2023
5 hours ago, Beleaf said:

I object to your objection

But yes, the title is a tad misleading.

FTFY

Literally.

• Like 1

So let's recap...

Players act stupid around Subs, so Subs bad! ... Not a player issue at all 😒 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

Just now, ArIskandir said:

So let's recap...

Or, if the message about the overall winners is true, and they are Subs exploiting the gimmick, a sad, very sad commentary for this game.

It's not even funny anymore.  People are actually leaving the game over this hot mess.........and, I guess, if you are a sub driver making a point, many agree and are leaving the game....  Point made.

Game over man is their response.  For the rest of us, it's gonna get a little lonely pretty soon.

This isn't the first game to try dissimilar weapons.............they've never worked in my decades of playing games.

This is the way.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

So let's recap...

Well, the actual issue is that the subs are around the players. Much of this could be solved by making changes in WoWS spotting mechanisms, but so far there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the meta as far as WG is concerned. I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the game meta and Wargaming quarterly reports or not.

• Like 3

Occasionally I see a really good sub player in randoms but most get themselves taken out earlier in the game than inexperienced DD players do. While WG, in its infinite wisdom, decided to give the Massachusetts a 5 km airstrike, most BBs and CAs have at least double that range. A sub pings once, someone on the team pings the mini-map, and before you know it the sky is filled with airstrike planes. Subs are usually only good at sinking lone ships, unless that ship is a CV with its automatic ASW.

That sub was toast about five seconds after it fired its torpedoes, which hit nothing.

shot-24-02-04-23-37-48-0123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good play is not over-powered, no matter which ship type is involved.

On the other hand, there are plenty of topics & posts which complain, and some of those complain about players exhibiting "potato" behavior.

Gambling carries the inherent risk of a loss. 
Pressing the "BATTLE" button also carries the inherent risk of a loss.

3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

So let's recap...

No, players act stupid period.  Subs murder stupid people and not stupid people alike.   Definitely not a player issue at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Occasionally I see a really good sub player in randoms but most get themselves taken out earlier in the game than inexperienced DD players do. While WG, in its infinite wisdom, decided to give the Massachusetts a 5 km airstrike, most BBs and CAs have at least double that range. A sub pings once, someone on the team pings the mini-map, and before you know it the sky is filled with airstrike planes. Subs are usually only good at sinking lone ships, unless that ship is a CV with its automatic ASW.

That sub was toast about five seconds after it fired its torpedoes, which hit nothing.

shot-24-02-04-23-37-48-0123.jpg

Dang,  wish i had a nice picture of a NC dieing in the first 3 minutes of a match too.   But alas! It wasn't worth taking a screen shot of a stupid person.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

26 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Dang,  wish i had a nice picture of a NC dieing in the first 3 minutes of a match too.   But alas! It wasn't worth taking a screen shot of a stupid person.

How did the NC manage this?

There are still a few "sniper" clans floating around that will division a CV with two Yamatos and take out the enemy CV in the first few minutes of a match. This is why I immediately turn my CV and head for the map border at the start of the match. Later, I will position it but for the duration of a spotter plan I'm out of there. I had my CV taken out twice and then learned my lesson.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

Just as an aside: Who changed the title of this post?

I did not put "NOT" in the original title.

And, those figures were the official WoWS figures as posted by them in the news. I did not make them up.

6 hours ago, Asym said:

This isn't the first game to try dissimilar weapons.............they've never worked in my decades of playing games.

This is a PoV I can respect... too much asymmetry makes the game unfun. Cool, I can't argue against that as for the most part it's subjective... If most people find it unfun, then it is (or should be) a problem. 

But that's not what the video says...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, majmac said:

Just as an aside: Who changed the title of this post?

I might have had something to do with that. Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

☝️He did it ☝️

(lol)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Confession is good for the soul! 🙂

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

So let's recap...

...as if WG didn't give subs a bonus to base XP earnings...oh wait, they did!

This is, once again, something negative that WG staff will try to blame on the players rather than those truly responsible...WG staff.

We need to stop blaming players.

7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There are still a few "sniper" clans floating around that will division a CV with two Yamatos and take out the enemy CV in the first few minutes of a match. This is why I immediately turn my CV and head for the map border at the start of the match. Later, I will position it but for the duration of a spotter plan I'm out of there. I had my CV taken out twice and then learned my lesson.

I've found a better expedient is to setup a zigzag pattern where you aren't showing broadside to the likely locations of enemy sniper BBs.

That's better in my experience than heading to the map border.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I've found a better expedient is to setup a zigzag pattern where you aren't showing broadside to the likely locations of enemy sniper BBs. That's better in my experience than heading to the map border.

Turning around and hightailing it away from the Spawn initially is the only way to get out of the range of a spotter-enhanced Yamato on many maps. The Yamato has a 26.6 km main battery range. Add 20% and that blooms out to 31.92 km, which is most of the distance available on many maps. For instance, Two Brothers is 42x42 km so with the Yamato's sitting in their Spawn they can reach the most of my team's Spawn but not quite to the map border. However, they are sure to be advancing too, so by the time the CV's planes are on me I need to have angled my carrier and retreated back as far as possible. After that, I can maneuver as needed and keep blocking terrain between my ship and the enemy. If my team can control that left flank it's ideal as I can get into that notch on the left brother and be close to the fight and also protected from a DD torp run down the middle.

shot-24-02-05-22-06-51-0976.jpg

Or the 90% Ranked WR guy in CVs where the best surface players get to 76% most ? Huge difference but yeah, CVs are balanced ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Turning around and hightailing it away from the Spawn initially is the only way to get out of the range of a spotter-enhanced Yamato on many maps. The Yamato has a 26.6 km main battery range. Add 20% and that blooms out to 31.92 km, which is most of the distance available on many maps. For instance, Two Brothers is 42x42 km so with the Yamato's sitting in their Spawn they can reach the most of my team's Spawn but not quite to the map border. However, they are sure to be advancing too, so by the time the CV's planes are on me I need to have angled my carrier and retreated back as far as possible. After that, I can maneuver as needed and keep blocking terrain between my ship and the enemy. If my team can control that left flank it's ideal as I can get into that notch on the left brother and be close to the fight and also protected from a DD torp run down the middle.

shot-24-02-05-22-06-51-0976.jpg

Getting out of range is unnecessary. His shell travel time is a LONG time. Just don't sail a predictable course...he will never hit you.

11 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

.as if WG didn't give subs a bonus to base XP earnings...oh wait, they did!

Bro, what that has to do with players having panic attacks when facing a Sub in battle?