HMS RODNEY

OT2_2

Just on YT / Sealord Mountbatten. Good news for most of us I suppose. 😁

9 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

seems copy paste Nelson with torps. Nothing special

I don't know if that is correct what you are stating since she is supposed to be a short to medium range butcher like the Soviet / Russian BB and gets a very powerful torpedo armament additionally. Also better plating. Anyhow, I prefer having historical ships ingame than all those fantasy products, which WG is flooding us with lately. 

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

seems copy paste Nelson with torps. Nothing special 😕

Seeing as how it is literally the sister ship to Nelson, if it wasn't a mostly copy paste ship in terms of layout I would be worried lol...

Playstyle wise, this could be interesting.  That being said, if its armor profile is identical to Nelson even with the gimmicks listed here it will be a questionable ship for its intended role, most likely only at least decent players will get her to perform at that point.  We'll see I suppose.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

They did indicate that monitors were being looked at. I suppose WG will give the Rodney will have a engine boost too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

They did indicate that monitors were being looked at. I suppose WG will give the Rodney will have a engine boost too.

Yes, I forgot about it. She will get an engine boost too. 

Edited by OT2_2

A 43/44 AA refit Nelson/Rodney would be far better than a stock ship

Edited by kriegerfaust

1 hour ago, kriegerfaust said:

A 43/44 AA refit Nelson/Rodney would be far better than a stock ship

Agreed, and perhaps at another, higher tier like VIII or IX since T VII is already overly crowded with British BB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OT2_2 said:

Agreed, and perhaps at another, higher tier like VIII or IX since T VII is already overly crowded with British BB. 

This is my big disappointment with the announcement. Tier VII already has Nelson, Collingwood, Hood, Duke of York, and Renown’44, while Vanguard is still alone at tier VIII.

Rodney would have been a great candidate for a long-awaited additional tier VIII premium. It’s a bit surprising that WG wasn’t willing to sell a historical ship at the tier, since tier VIII has long been considered (at least by the playerbase) to be their “bread and butter” tier regarding income from premium ships.

Now we’re left hoping for Anson or Howe at tier VIII as historical options, or possibly a “somewhat historical” earlier KGV design before the super-firing quad turret was replaced with a twin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OT2_2 said:

I think a Rodney would fit in well at tier VIII in that it would be in the line with the all-forward turrent style of Duncan and St. Vincent.  I would also like another choice other than Monarch at that tier.

• Like 1

Finally, we can torp a BB using the only BB to ever torp another BB!

...watch her be locked behind a gamble-wall.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Now we’re left hoping for Anson or Howe at tier VIII as historical options, or possibly a “somewhat historical” earlier KGV design before the super-firing quad turret was replaced with a twin.

There's a shed load of Lion class designs available for WG to use. Actual Lion class ones. Not the almost completely made up WG calls Lion in game.

54 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

There's a shed load of Lion class designs available for WG to use. Actual Lion class ones. Not the almost completely made up WG calls Lion in game.

I was referring to ships/classes that were actually built and served. Now that both Nelson-class ships are going to be tier VII and Vanguard already exists in game, the only remaining option for tier VIII is another KGV. Two Lion-class hulls were laid down before the war started, but construction never got very far and they were scrapped a few years later.

Edited by Nevermore135

Good to see another historical ship coming to the game instead of the dozens of paper ships. I looked at the current ship stats and it looks like a really fun ship so far.

7 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

seems copy paste Nelson with torps. Nothing special 😕

Not really.

Rodney loses the nuclear HE and actually has different dispersion at 18km (247 vs 240. 247 is same as Sinop, so probably Soviet dispersion- garbage at long range, great at close)

Reload and turret traverse are identical, but Nelson has .1 better sigma (1.8vs 1.9; few will ever notice this.)

Unknown is whether or not Rodney has short fuse AP like Nelson. I'd kind of hope so because she has the worst AP performance among 16in guns at T7.

Rodney has torpedoes, Nelson does not. And said torps will be amazing if you can hit them.

Rodney has better AA. Still absolute garbage because short range and zero long range DPS, but better is better.

Here is where Rodney will be made or broken. Nelson has a superheal, so as long as you don't eat torps or get her citadel blown out, you don't die. Rodney has Ohio's fast loading heal with improved citadel healing. You heal nowhere near as much, but can chain heals quicker. I'm not sure how well this will work on a Nelson hull that is extremely squishy.

Both are slow moving bricks, but Rodney is .2knts slower base (?) but a standard speed boost, to somewhat make up for this.

Basically, its a Nelson that loses the two things that make it work (super heal and HE) for things that one may be hard to use and the other making her much easier to kill under heavy fire. Ranked Rodney could be a tough brick to push into but randoms I'm not sure.

18 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Not really.

Rodney loses the nuclear HE and actually has different dispersion at 18km (247 vs 240. 247 is same as Sinop, so probably Soviet dispersion- garbage at long range, great at close)

Reload and turret traverse are identical, but Nelson has .1 better sigma (1.8vs 1.9; few will ever notice this.)

Unknown is whether or not Rodney has short fuse AP like Nelson. I'd kind of hope so because she has the worst AP performance among 16in guns at T7.

Rodney has torpedoes, Nelson does not. And said torps will be amazing if you can hit them.

Rodney has better AA. Still absolute garbage because short range and zero long range DPS, but better is better.

Here is where Rodney will be made or broken. Nelson has a superheal, so as long as you don't eat torps or get her citadel blown out, you don't die. Rodney has Ohio's fast loading heal with improved citadel healing. You heal nowhere near as much, but can chain heals quicker. I'm not sure how well this will work on a Nelson hull that is extremely squishy.

Both are slow moving bricks, but Rodney is .2knts slower base (?) but a standard speed boost, to somewhat make up for this.

Basically, its a Nelson that loses the two things that make it work (super heal and HE) for things that one may be hard to use and the other making her much easier to kill under heavy fire. Ranked Rodney could be a tough brick to push into but randoms I'm not sure.

its cool that you think that there is a big diffrence but in the end what they did is copy pasted existing ship, tweaked a few stats and said voila her you go a new premium under historical name, buy it.

Working hours on it, probably a day work to sell us something. I would say lazyiness on top of it. 

Something like Schnarhorst 43

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I wouldn't object to Rodney being to Nelson what Scharn 43' is to OG Scharn i.e. more or less similar, and pretty decent. Although Scharn '43 isn't massively exciting, she's one of the better recent premium releases IMO.

As to Rodney, while I'm glad she's being added to the game, I'm not going to get too aereated one way or t'other until we see her for real - I'm assuming she'll get the usual changes/kicking through the testing process.

+1 to the sentiments expressed vis-a-vis it being a shame that WG don't apparently have the resources to do something a bit more interesting with her (at T8) though. Especially since I believe I saw that we're getting Tone's sister, only a tier higher...

Edited by Verblonde
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

its cool that you think that there is a big diffrence but in the end what they did is copy pasted existing ship, tweaked a few stats and said voila her you go a new premium under historical name, buy it.

Working hours on it, probably a day work to sell us something. I would say lazyiness on top of it. 

Given the staffing issues WG has had since the split...it's not surprising.

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Given the staffing issues WG has had since the split...it's not surprising.

I am worried about WoWs future

If every BB in this game gonna be carrying torps in the future then can you please put some Yamato guns on my Shima?

Soon it wont matter what class you choose to play, they will have the exact same armament, just different armors. Every ship will have guns, secondarys, torps, Airstrikes, CV plane squadrons.

• Haha 3
  • Bored 1

1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

This is silly. They're sister ships, in the same way that Belfast and Edinburgh are, but like those ships they play differently. The key thing with Rodney will be her armour scheme: Nelse needs that super heal for all the damage she takes through the nose. Better bulkheads will go a long way... 

20 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

If every BB in this game gonna be carrying torps in the future then can you please put some Yamato guns on my Shima?

Rodney remains the only battleship which successfully torpedoed another BB. She should have torps above all the others. 

5 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I was referring to ships/classes that were actually built and served. Now that both Nelson-class ships are going to be tier VII and Vanguard already exists in game, the only remaining option for tier VIII is another KGV. Two Lion-class hulls were laid down before the war started, but construction never got very far and they were scrapped a few years later.

Anson and Howe would be splendid, but I suspect they would end up with KGVs guns on Monarch's hull (a bit better protected than KGV, perhaps doing 30 kts, but no great shakes).

I would still like the treaty-influenced Lion '38 with 3x3 406mm guns, and I don't see it being OP at Tier VIII, within the traditional RN BB setting - it would be rather enjoyable gunboat.

4 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Per the twitch stream where she was announced Rodney has short fuse AP.

6 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Hood '44 with a plausible refit scheme as she might have received had she not been lost.  Turrets modified for more elevation, perhaps larger powder charges, a Queen Anne's mansion replacing her conning tower, 5.25" dual purpose mounts replacing her secondaries.  The upper casemate armor removed.  Lots more AA.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Soon it wont matter what class you choose to play, they will have the exact same armament, just different armors. Every ship will have guns, secondarys, torps, Airstrikes, CV plane squadrons.

You're being extremely hyperbolic.  Go and try to use Rodney in place of Shiratsuyu.  Heck, try using any BB, even that Pan-Euro abomination, in the role of a torp DD and see how it goes.

13 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

gets a very powerful torpedo armament additionally.

With a single torp per side, honestly I wouldn't say there's anything powerful about it. Its a weapon of desperation at best and its highly unlikely to hit given the arming distance RN BC torps have. Rodney is a backline ship just like Nelson with how she currently sits.

13 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

Also better plating

highly doubtful.

11 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

She will get an engine boost too. 

Would've been relevant if it wasn't a basic one and she wasn't slow as molasses. The speed boost is basically Irrelevant, you don't have the concealment for brisk and speed flag does hardly anything. You're not going to be keeping up with the front lines or the fast battleships at this tier and above.

The torps and speed boost don't really help her as a backline ship ultimately. Nelson is arguably better with her stronger HE(1000 more damage, 1% increased fire chance, and 1/4 pen) and Zombie heal(Zombie > fast heal). The trade off of MB performance isn't worth it to have a junk tier consumable and a meme-worthy torp.

HOWEVER, give Rodney american secondary dispersion and range, bump her up a tier and swap for a zombie heal. Then we have something interesting and fun potentially.

• Confused 1

ecretprojects.co.uk/threads/royal-navy-lion-class-battleship-series-1938-1945.

a British pride of Lions

163198-16cc2386d92c84d328f81644477a59e6.

• Like 1