You can always trust the government to mess things up if it possibly can.

Snargfargle

Whatever the plan was to replace two sorting machines with one larger machine, it appears to have hit a figurative roadblock.
Machine won't fit into the doors of the building?  
Hmmm.
Makes me wonder if the machine is an "oversize load" for tractor-trailer (flatbed trailer) and cannot fit through a standard shipping-dock door?
Or if there is another issue and the "won't fit" is merely the latest excuse?

Meanwhile, I do wonder why manual sorting of packages wasn't done, given that the floor space was cleared-up (from the removal of two machines), eh?
Or are the istallation problems with the new equipment expected to be solved "any day, now"?  

Reminds me of the quote from Ronald Reagan:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

installation problems with the new equipment expected to be solved "any day, now"?  

Just like the pothole that's been in front of your house and is growing larger every year is going to be repaired "any day now." However, don't fill it yourself or you're going to be heavily fined and perhaps even jailed for non-authorized road work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Machine won't fit into the doors of the building?  
Hmmm.

My rule of thumb was passed down from my father to me and now my son.

Measure twice and cut once.

This not only applies to lumber but also to furniture or large objects through doorways.

Perhaps the USPS needs a few measuring tapes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Measure twice and cut once.

This not only applies to lumber but also to furniture or large objects through doorways.

Dad always said that if you cut a board too short you can always splice it but if you cut it too long then you might as well throw it away as there's not much that can be done to fix it. 😄

My cousin had an eight-foot-long antique horsehair couch that for some reason he insisted on hauling with him through every move he made. I don't know how many times I helped him worm that monstrosity up a narrow stairway to a third-floor attic apartment in an old Victorian-era house that had been converted into apartments.

I refurbished old buildings for several years as a college job. I once ran across an amazing old cast-iron wood-burning kitchen stove in a pre-Civil-War house that I'd have loved to have kept. However, the house had literally been built around the stove and the owner didn't want a hole cut into the side of the kitchen to remove it so I had to break it up with a sledge hammer and haul it away in pieces. It looked a lot like this one but somewhat larger. I argued that the stove had to be worth a thousand dollars but he countered by saying that he was losing $2500 every month that he didn't have that house rented.

4643d22b04c78fb593275ad53f45645d.jpg&f=1

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Sad 1

The two scariest sentences from a government agent is these , " I am from the Government" and I am here to help.

The conflicting ideas of whether or not to have an all-powerful national government that runs most things from on high or for the people to form their own local governments that administer things from the bottom up and allow higher-level governments only such powers necessary to the security and proper functioning of the unified whole has been ongoing since the US was first founded. The People fight a continuing war against their own governments each time they try to take away individual rights "for the good of the whole." While I realize that cooperation is necessary to accomplish great things, I'm also a staunch individualist. Give a group of people any authority at all over others and fail to closely monitor and regulate their actions and they will get bat-crap crazy drunk on their own power. Just look at what silly homeowner's associations get away with.

• Like 1