Battleship Texas is nearly ready for Plop Day

iDuckman

And looking good.

The auxiliary batteries will be mounted once she's back in the water.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Steve Lehto, who is a lawyer with a more interesting than you'd think it would be if you are not really into that kind of stuff legal channel, was rocking a Battleship Texas shirt yesterday.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

The amount of hull restoration these folks did on the Texas in nothing short of remarkable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

And looking good.

The auxiliary batteries will be mounted once she's back in the water.

I would have been satisfied with nothing less than a full Uchuu Senkan Texas refit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Steve Lehto, who is a lawyer with a more interesting than you'd think it would be if you are not really into that kind of stuff legal channel, was rocking a Battleship Texas shirt yesterday.

Untitled.jpg

I already thought highly of him.  That just tops it.

16 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Made my morning 👍

Beautiful, isn't she?  Wait until you see the rest of the outfit.

New Jersey is about to go into drydock, though she doesn't have the budget - or the need - that Texas did.

• Like 2

Sometime this spring I will conduct a personal inspection of this ship.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Beautiful, isn't she?  Wait until you see the rest of the outfit.

New Jersey is about to go into drydock, though she doesn't have the budget - or the need - that Texas did.

Aye.

I've been following the Battleship New Jersey Museum & Memorial youtube channel. 
Ryan, the curator, has been following the Texas drydocking situation while preparing the New Jersey for her own drydock experience.
It's been interesting.

• Like 1

I used to occaissionally work in a drydock as part of my work duties and the view of a ship at the bow from under & forward of that was always impressive - that view of the hull & just how massive ships can appear when out of the water. The propellers are impressively big close up.

• Like 3

Unfortunately Texas' propellers were removed some time ago.  One disappeared.  They still have one, but it will never be remounted since as I recall they cut off the shafts.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't this this was posted.  BB Texas has a new home.

Battleship Texas will get a new place to call home in Galveston. The Port of Galveston board of trustees approved a lease at Pier 20 with The Battleship Texas Foundation [in Nov]. The lease will last 10 years with renewal options. Rent will be $480,000 per year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Rent will be $480,000 per year

Ah, that zero jammed, didn’t it. I mean, otherwise, wow. $1,300 and change, a day, for parking a historical ship? So add to that staff, maintenance, insurance… big wow. They're gonna need some help...

• Like 1

Top notch stuff, very happy for Texas and all the people who get to see and experience it first hand🤟

Maybe there is a lesson lost or found (latter is far better) that there are things in this ‘best of all western idea of worlds’ that do not and should not conform to basic business & spreadshite principles.

Since their values dwells in our hearts and minds, also both entities capable of far more than-‘it pays off , it earns enough, or it does not😉

• Like 1

well, the spreadsheet doth catch up with thee, it hath such nasty tendency.

So I'd rather it earns enough. And that is what I would not just hope, but support.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:
17 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Rent will be $480,000 per year

Ah, that zero jammed, didn’t it. I mean, otherwise, wow. $1,300 and change, a day, for parking a historical ship? So add to that staff, maintenance, insurance… big wow. They're gonna need some help...

Wow!

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Wow!

I can't believe that they are charging $200 for a tour of the Texas. It costs ten bucks to get onto the North Carolina.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I can't believe that they are charging $200 for a tour of the Texas. It costs ten bucks to get onto the North Carolina.

That may be just the dry dock version. Which may be because of a requirement for small groups and staff present as guides as they walk around. Once they launch I'd wager more like $30-40 for vanilla, with more for guided tours of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They really did an excellent job with the Texas restoration. It is really exciting to see and I hope someday I will be able to visit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

That may be just the dry dock version. Which may be because of a requirement for small groups and staff present as guides as they walk around. Once they launch I'd wager more like $30-40 for vanilla, with more for guided tours of course.

17 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Well as a foreigner but enthusiast I can certainly pay 30-40 USD for an experience if it is worth it but not 200. Not if that is the only option. However it might be more for enthusiasts and extra tour - it is possible to think of offers that might be enticing - say guided tour + 3 course meal in captains room or so.

I am (passive) member of a steam train society outside Gothenburg Sweden, meaning I pay a yearly fee (eq. 35 USD), get a paper and free ride and on occasion gives extra to a particular project. They have started to sell on a few limited occasions very exclusive  ticket where you are part of the preparation of the steam engine and then ofc are travelling in the cab during the ride etc. If a normal trip cost say 12 USD it is around 500 I think but for an enthusiast that can not spend the time or have the skill/health of being regular driver which demands education etc I can certainly think of it as a present to some rail enthusiast. I know that the railcar alternative is cheaper.

If I am correct US museums often have cheaper fees for veterans , disabled, elderly students etc. But I certainly hope they will price it so they are catering to normal and less wealthy people in the longer run. If I go anywhere in the US I will certainly check out what ship museums that are near. Sadly I am not fond of flying , the older I get the less.

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

Well as a foreigner but enthusiast I can certainly pay 30-40 USD for an experience if it is worth it but not 200.

The battleship North Carolina charges only $14. The Lexington is $21. The New Jersey is $30. The Nautilus submarine is free and parking is free too. The Yorktown is $25. The Battleship Texas Foundation is probably trying to get as much money as possible from rich VIPs while it can. Before it was renovated, the Battleship Texas museum was only charging $10. It's not slated for general admission re-opening until 2025. Other popular museums in the Houston area charge about $30 so that's probably what the price will be too for admission to the the ship.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

It's not slated for general admission re-opening until 2025.

Drat. Better hope the situation resolves such that visiting the US is still on the agenda by then.

5 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Drat. Better hope the situation resolves such that visiting the US is still on the agenda by then.

If you are going to visit another country try to plan out several things to do in a single area. It's been awhile since I was down in southeast Texas but I went to college and was stationed in the area back in the 70s and 80s. There's fishing, beach-combing, and bird watching on the coast plus plenty of good places to eat. There's a naval museum, a science museum, a space museum, and a fine arts museum. There are botanical gardens, a zoo, an aquarium, and lots more. Houston has become the New York City of the south. There's no reason why it shouldn't as it's the fourth largest city in the US.  

• Like 1