2nd Annual Golden Barnacle Awards - Cast Your Vote for Best 2023 Premium/Special Ship Release

HogHammer

Get your tux pressed and your shoes shined!  The 2nd Annual Golden Barnacle Awards are almost here!

I, @clydeplays, humbly request that you vote for the BEST NEW PREMIUM OR SPECIAL SHIP released in 2023 by World of Warships! 

We'll be presenting the award on March 9th, 2024, live on Twitch!  (10 a.m. PT / 1 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. CET)

GoldenBarnaclesAwards.thumb.png.ab2847e0ff0c49991f001667ba78cec0.png

To cast your vote on the best new premium or special ship release during 2023 by World of Warships, click on the following link:

https://forms.gle/6DgkGjuu1WHWskw57

GoogleDoc.png.2c49dd444dd1e4a0ad63b7c4f7950002.png

To view last year's Golden Barnacle Awards, check out the following YouTube video.

ClydePlays2.png.86ee7f5fde87497e201f2185a3ab9780.png  ClydePlaysLive - Twitch    Clyde Plays - YouTube

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A pretty underwhelming list of ships there...

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WV44

Schary 43.

Karl [insert bunch of numbers here] johan. 

It was hard to make just one choice. 

• Like 3

do I get a "I voted" bumper sticker now?

• Haha 1

Voting requires a Google account sign-in. Not going to do that...sorry...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You're not being asked to say that one of them is the best thing ever to come to WOWS; you're being asked to say which of them you think is the best out of the list.

I'm going to sit on my hands for a week or two until I've had some time in the Michelangelo and a few more games in some of the others on the list that I actually possess but haven't had a chance to play much yet. Plus I've got two more Santa boxes coming to me from the Dockyard this weekend, and who knows which of these ships might be inside them?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Don't think I didn't consider making one!  Thanks for voting. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I think that may depend a lot on the class of ship you play.

I see a few on that list that I curse when I see them on the red team.  I kind of wish you could vote ship classes and not just one.  Personally, I can see several really good ships on that list - of course, there are a few stinkers, too.

This should be interesting to see what the player base picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love_Ur_Cits said:

I think that may depend a lot on the class of ship you play.

I see a few on that list that I curse when I see them on the red team.  I kind of wish you could vote ship classes and not just one.  Personally, I can see several really good ships on that list - of course, there are a few stinkers, too.

This should be interesting to see what the player base picks.

Indeed.

• Like 1

Next year, I think the questionnaire should include a free-text area where you can give your reason(s) why you chose the ship. Obviously this can't be statistically tabulated, but for the first to third place winners it might be interesting to canvass a few of the opinions presented, especially if they turned out to have common themes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

spacer.png

• Like 3

This is such a wasted vote, much like my presidential vote tomorrow, but... Leipzig! Who thought of making a stealthy 10-km kriegsmarine torpedo cruiser for T6? With worse Nurnberg firepower? And why is it so fun? 

It is so easy. Did not need more than 0 sec to think just searching for the ship...

image.png.f533ea2a5fd61a32a90a5f0ed12de218.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Got one for you

6 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

spacer.png

That's a stamp not a sticker or pin. 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif.201f684365a411bc4b1914e529d99ec2.gif

61jjuPer14L._AC_UY1000_50.jpg

• Like 1

I'm another vote for Scharn '43: not because she's particularly original or powerful, but because she's a decent honest-to-gods premium that pretty much everyone could get easily enough - she's also an unusual example of WG doing a Good Thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

That's a stamp not a sticker or pin. 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif.201f684365a411bc4b1914e529d99ec2.gif

Fair point. 
But, I didn't know (or didn't check) where they lived, and wanted to pick something generic for "every country" instead of something obviously "USA".

Edited to add:  And they asked for a bumper-sticker, specifically.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

Thanks for post @HogHammer I voted Defence just because I am sick of the 3 man divisions of the Scharn '43 killing me in low tier games. Lol

• Haha 2

Easily Karl Johan. Hopefully they dont nerf it...

Sun Yet Sen as close second.

Edited by ReDiR20
  • Like 4

I will elaborate some on my K XIV J choice.

While I understand that many NA players will vote for the US ships I will despite that I am from Sweden and never thought I would get a fantasy BB (would have loved Tre Kronor cruiser) have other reasons too.

My main reason is that I think that KXIVJ is different.

Useful for PE techtree players. Good in Asymmetric and Halloween campaign. The smaller guns are not felt that much in Asym that it will in uptiered randoms against superships. Nevertheless 4x3 turrets with 22 sec reload and useful torps with 86 sec (Ok reload) 4x4 going in 86 kts with 13,5 km range for area denial etc makes it an action packed ship.

You are probably doing something in contrast to many other Battleships. While f.e. US battleships in all types of designs and configs not to mention all the various German fantasys have a certain one more feeling of roughly similar type of what we have and does not bring anything new.

Considering all WGs German battleship variants it is almost strange that no variant of the real early designs of Bismarck  (taken from KBismarck forum https://www.kbismarck.com/design.html) with 33/35 cm guns are in the game instead of all others but it will surely arrive sometime.

There is one US design that I want:  Lexington with 7 funnels, I am weak for weird designs.

A fantasy modern Novgorod would have been fine. Almost round ship Say 4 Main turrets all around, 1 each corner.

K XIV J image.png.169386da2e9075ee12d9960979796bb4.png is the ancestor to our present King Karl XVI Gustaf.  image.png.3fac173358cfd59f7987b7bbc5dfbf31.png

He was born 1946 so when he was younger the family semblance was even more striking.

The menus at Stockholm castle when presidents etc are having dinner with the king are written in french ofc.

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

This is such a wasted vote, much like my presidential vote tomorrow, but... Leipzig! Who thought of making a stealthy 10-km kriegsmarine torpedo cruiser for T6? With worse Nurnberg firepower? And why is it so fun? 

Never hesitate to vote for the ship you believe in!  Leipzig is way fun!

• Like 1

Hard choice between WV '44 and Brisbane, for me. Brisbane is unquestionably the better ship, gameplay-wise, but... I'm a history buff, and if I could only keep one, I'd have to go with WeeVee. Phoenix Doom Turtle FTW.

On 1/26/2024 at 8:17 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Next year, I think the questionnaire should include a free-text area where you can give your reason(s) why you chose the ship. Obviously this can't be statistically tabulated...

Not necessarily. There could be a list of the likely most common reasons to pick from- Historical Importance, Ingame Performance, Uniqueness, Accessibility (how easy the ship was to acquire, like Scharn '43), Exclusivity, etc. Wouldn't be per-ship, of course, but it'd be interesting to see what the community-level breakdown was.

Hi all,

There is only one IMHO... Scharnhorst 43... 🙂

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 1