World of Warships Trying out 4K

MysticalWar

First Battle in resolution 4K demonstration. Turns out my GPU is not powerful enough for 4K but I wanted to see if I can at least upload it. Still waiting on YouTube to make it 4K the original file looks a lot better and is 2.99 GB. Most of the time my files are only 2 GB at 1080p.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MysticalWar said:

First Battle in resolution 4K demonstration. Turns out my GPU is not powerful enough for 4K but I wanted to see if I can at least upload it. Still waiting on YouTube to make it 4K the original file looks a lot better and is 2.99 GB. Most of the time my files are only 2 GB at 1080p.

I took a class in digital photography offered by Ritz Camera (back when they still had retail store locations).
The relevant concept is that the resolution of the image cannot be improved upon.
If the original image was taken at resolution of 1024x768 pixels, then no more pixels can be added to improve or enhance the resolution (despite a certain scene in the movie Blade Runner).  https://youtu.be/qHepKd38pr0?si=gjgM7-OqNPP0ZQak

So, for the highest quality of images or videos, one needs to record the originals in the highest quality setting available.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution that meets your criteria.  🙂 

Edited to add:  https://photographylife.com/camera-resolution-explained

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing a lot of players don't realize is the extraordinary detail that's actually present in the background of this game. If you zoom in on the vegetation you can actually identify most of the plants as to type. For instance, olive trees are easily recognizable as such looking at a single twig. And, yes, you can zoom in that closely, though not while playing the game. I used to know how to do this but I've forgotten. Anyone recall how it's done? The underwater world also has a lot of hidden detail. The other day I saw what was definitely a whale shark.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

One thing a lot of players don't realize is the extraordinary detail that's actually present in the background of this game. If you zoom in on the vegetation you can actually identify most of the plants as to type. For instance, olive trees are easily recognizable as such looking at a single twig. And, yes, you can zoom in that closely, though not while playing the game. I used to know how to do this but I've forgotten. Anyone recall how it's done? The underwater world also has a lot of hidden detail. The other day I saw what was definitely a whale shark.

Some of this ^^^^ is dependent upon the detail settings that one is using (in game).
Lower settings = reduced details.  Higher settings = more details available (if they can be viewed/accessed).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Some of this ^^^^ is dependent upon the detail settings that one is using (in game).
Lower settings = reduced details.  Higher settings = more details available (if they can be viewed/accessed).

The only thing on low is the water and reflections everything else is either high or medium detail setting to maintain a stable framerate with V-Sync on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I took a class in digital photography offered by Ritz Camera (back when they still had retail store locations).
The relevant concept is that the resolution of the image cannot be improved upon.
If the original image was taken at resolution of 1024x768 pixels, then no more pixels can be added to improve or enhance the resolution (despite a certain scene in the movie Blade Runner).  https://youtu.be/qHepKd38pr0?si=gjgM7-OqNPP0ZQak

So, for the highest quality of images or videos, one needs to record the originals in the highest quality setting available.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution that meets your criteria.  🙂 

Edited to add:  https://photographylife.com/camera-resolution-explained

I will mention this to YouTube thanks. Still waiting for my video to be 4Ked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

2 minutes ago, MysticalWar said:

The only thing on low is the water and reflections everything else is either high or medium detail setting to maintain a stable framerate with V-Sync on.

The only other thing I can think of, (belatedly it seems), is that a replay could be "re-mastered" in a sense.

For example:  A person plays a game on "medium" settings and saves the replay.  If played and youtube recorded at those graphics settings, the quality will be "medium".

Then they change their in-game graphics settings to "Ultra High" (or whatever the highest settings are labeled) and then plays the replay for the purposes of recording a youtube video.  Thus, the replay will be played and recorded at the highest possible graphics quality (according to my hypothesis, here).

Granted, replays are "perishable" because of periodic game updates making them "stale" and unplayable on the newest version of the game.
So, any youtube video is better than nothing, eh?  🙂 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The only other thing I can think of, (belatedly it seems), is that a replay could be "re-mastered" in a sense.

For example:  A person plays a game on "medium" settings and saves the replay.  If played and youtube recorded at those graphics settings, the quality will be "medium".

Then they change their in-game graphics settings to "Ultra High" (or whatever the highest settings are labeled) and then plays the replay for the purposes of recording a youtube video.  Thus, the replay will be played and recorded at the highest possible graphics quality (according to my hypothesis, here).

Granted, replays are "perishable" because of periodic game updates making them "stale" and unplayable on the newest version of the game.

At any rate at least I think it was a good test to see what would happen If I tried to make a 4k video the original is in 4k the one YouTube translated is 1080p60.

14 minutes and 32 seconds in 4k is 2.99GB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysticalWar said:

At any rate at least I think it was a good test to see what would happen If I tried to make a 4k video the original is in 4k the one YouTube translated is 1080p60.

14 minutes and 32 seconds in 4k is 2.99GB.

Occasionally on "The Mighty Jingles" youtube channel, he's mentioned that youtube takes a while to make the HQ video available to viewers.
The "delay" can be 24 hours to a few days, if I recall correctly.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Occasionally on "The Mighty Jingles" youtube channel, he's mentioned that youtube takes a while to make the HQ video available to viewers.
The "delay" can be 24 hours to a few days, if I recall correctly.

Oh cool 🙂 maybe tomorrow I will check it out thanks.

• Like 1

@MysticalWar Do remember that 1080i is still by far the most popular video resolution today on PCs.  I run 2K at 144 mHz, and honestly, I see very little difference when looking at higher-resolution YouTube videos.  This could be due to compression values on YouTube's end.

Now, in actual games, I do see a difference.  I have a pretty high-end GPU and a very good monitor (for WoWs, it is OVERKILL), so images really pop.  But do remember, the vast majority of people viewing YouTube videos still use 1080, which is still considered high definition.

Also, for 4K videos to show on YouTube, I think there is a special setting you have to select.  Your video, for example, despite being uploaded in 4k, only gives me options to 1080.  See screenshot.

4K.thumb.png.f6b974342e9a94cc9a38cd59dabc692e.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

@MysticalWar Do remember that 1080i is still by far the most popular video resolution today on PCs.  I run 2K at 144 mHz, and honestly, I see very little difference when looking at higher-resolution YouTube videos.  This could be due to compression values on YouTube's end.

Now, in actual games, I do see a difference.  I have a pretty high-end GPU and a very good monitor (for WoWs, it is OVERKILL), so images really pop.  But do remember, the vast majority of people viewing YouTube videos still use 1080, which is still considered high definition.

Also, for 4K videos to show on YouTube, I think there is a special setting you have to select.  Your video, for example, despite being uploaded in 4k, only gives me options to 1080.  See screenshot.

4K.thumb.png.f6b974342e9a94cc9a38cd59dabc692e.png

Yeah that's what YouTube considers 4K lol I might try Rumble.

Well on my end, the videos look pretty darn good.  Sharp and vivid.

• Thanks 1

One of the real bugs in gaming is resolution and the question of:  is there room for growth to technology shifts players can afford.  And, if not, will the core game still work well enough to keep players involved at no cost to them....

Otherwise, you will lose population real fast.  Wake up one morning and the game simply looks like crap and you simply don't have the processing power to enjoy the game....  Been there, done that.

This computer I am on is "at that point" and it's time for a new computer.  Although, I am waiting till one or two ideas in the Innovation market resolved themselves to see which one wins cause...........yikes.  We're gonna see another "flash drive" wave in the near future (about 2 years I'd bet...) 

• Like 1

This video frame rate is weird, I was trying to improve image quality at 1080p.

23 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

That is one of the best things about World of Warships: the amount of detail in the game's graphics. 

Another thing is the Port Music. I totally love it.

• Like 1

This tree on the Land of Fire map is most likely a beech.

shot-24-01-27-07-49-31-0468.jpg

31b-5-nothofagus-cunninghamii-fol-marily

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:32 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

😛 why my YouTube is filled with my best games and replays for others. 

I wish recording gameplay would have been possible for me in the 08-14 era, a ton of time spent on Call of Duty and really only 2 videos currently available. 

• Like 1