'Red Storm Rising' chapters

iDuckman

There are the finished chapters from FIXEDIT.  There's some other fun stuff on their website like Buns, and life as a missile.

F-119s (Frisbees) in Europe.  (Dark visuals)

The effluent hits the rotating aerodynamic device in the Atlantic.

US counter-strike fails.

Air vs. ground in Europe

Air combat over Iceland

Submarines vs Backfires !

Final? battle for Keflavik

Edited by iDuckman
Added the other chapters.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think this should be in 'Off Topic' rather than 'General Discussion' as it has nothing to do with WOWS.  Great book, though.

Tom Clancy wrote some pretty good books. I knew a guy who was pretty much one of the characters he wrote about in Without Remorse. My boss in the Army was finishing up his twenty in a regular unit due to having been shot in the knee and unable to do what he'd done for well over a decade way out in the unknown places of the world any more. You'd never know it to look at him as he was not a very tall guy and sort of looked like Charmin's Mr. Whipple. However, the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star with V device and cluster, and Purple heart on his class-As hinted that he'd been there and done that, as did the patch on his right shoulder.

Funny story:

Word came down that the TMC, an old WWII-era building, needed a coat of paint. I got the job of painting it since I was one of the few medics with any actual experience along those lines. All of the PAs wanted specific colors for their offices and the NCOIC had an idea of what he wanted done in the common areas. However, when I asked my boss what color he wanted his office painted he said "What the hell are you bothering me for, paint it pink for all I care." I went to the motor pool, got a can of white and red paint, opened up the TMC that night, and painted his office pink. The next morning, I came in and told him that it was just a joke and that I'd have it re-done in the color he wanted by the next morning. He just laughed and told me that it looked good and to just leave it pink. So he had a pink office for the next year until he retired.. a pink office with a Project Delta plaque and a dark green beret hanging on one wall. When he retired we bought him a bottle of Chivas Regal. He told us to lock the TMC door and go get some cups. He then poured us all a shot of the best whisky I've ever tasted.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

"What the hell are you bothering me for, paint it pink for all I care."

I think the movie is called 'operation petticoat' [comedy / 1959]. All the supply officer could acquire in short notice was red and white paint. They ended up painting their submarine pink and were quite embarrassed pulling into port.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thornzero said:

'operation petticoat'

Fun fact:

Tony Curtis was the father of Jamie Lee Curtis. He was also a WWII Navy veteran who served on a submarine tender. It was Cary Grant in Destination Tokyo who inspired him to join the Navy. He would later see Tokyo, where he witnessed the Japanese surrender, and also star in Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant.

• Like 3

• iDuckman changed the title to 'Red Storm Rising' chapters
8 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

Think this should be in 'Off Topic' rather than 'General Discussion' as it has nothing to do with WOWS.  Great book, though.

Do you ever go to Off-Topic?  Does anyone else?  I thought it deserved at least a few views.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Do you ever go to Off-Topic?  Does anyone else?  I thought it deserved at least a few views.

Here's a quote from the old Age of Empires forums.

Moderator: Please stay on topic. Off topic posts may be deleted.

Forumer: This is Off Topic, off-topic post are on topic.

• Haha 2