I wonder if WEEGE has tried/will try using AI to reprogram their 'bots?

Musket22

Would be interesting to see and AI program re-code

1) the 'Bot behavior - maybe remove the propensity of 'bot DDs to suicide RAM at first contact.

2) design some/more maps - code them for fewer big islands or just fewer.

3) MatchMaker selection criteria (added in edit)

Edited by Musket22

I don't think that a lot of gamers have the slightest clue as to what is involved in coding video games. I used to code turnkey database applications for research museums. Even my relatively simple applications oftentimes contained a few thousand lines of code. One source I looked up reported that today's video games usually contain between two to six million lines of code.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't think that a lot of gamers have the slightest clue as to what is involved in coding video games. I used to code turnkey database applications for research museums. Even my relatively simple applications oftentimes contained a few thousand lines of code. One source I looked up reported that today's video games usually contain between two to six million lines of code.

So are you saying that an AI program couldn't do it? or would take too long to do it? what?

I'm saying that IMO an AI program could try/create different iterations in very little time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Musket22 said:

So are you saying that an AI program couldn't do it? or would take too long to do it? what?

I'm saying that IMO an AI program could try/create different iterations in very little time.

Companies don't get programs for free, they have to pay thousands of dollars for software licenses. Also, if an AI writes code for you then legally the company that wrote the AI may own the intellectual rights to that code, although you might be able to use it for a time under license. I've used AIs to write simple Powershell scripts and they generally do a pretty good job of outlining the script. However, they don't do a perfect job and the script still need to be debugged. Try debugging hundreds of thousands of lines of code written by an AI that may be using coding logic quite different from what a human would generally use and you can begin to see a problem. When programming bots you don't want AI writing code for you, you want an AI that you have written playing the game with as close to human behavior as possible, which includes human levels of skill and stupidity so it's not just a perfect cheating machine.

• Like 1

The bots are dumb enough already... do you really want to see what happens when a bot gets to code the other bots?

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:58 PM, Musket22 said:

I agree with @Snargfargle and come from SIM programming....  AI isn't just a simple program.  AI is more than a data base; it's a learning algorithm that "looks for and then reacts to" what is supposed to do.

Take Home Schooling and the proposed AI backbone for that State system.  It know what kids need to know at what efficiency level.  And, learning is built like a game.  In this case, the game is actually learning in a way that encourages and make learning fun.  The "AI" learns what motivates the child; interfaces with the parent's assessments; and, try new learning methods to see what best motivates that child.  To include, interfacing with children all over the State (like facebook but better).  The AI also learns what is "fun" for that child and the games for recreation in the module alter to fit what that child "says is fun" and, then creates expanded gameplay testing where the AI can take that child with parental oversight and suggestions....

AI is an automation philosophy vis-a'-vis a tool....  It is tied into vast amounts of data and it's allowed to "explore" what that child's "learning profile" is.....

No, this is a linear First Person Collective shooter....  1) they couldn't afford it;  and,  2) they really don't care what we want or think - AND, that is not what AI's are for....

Now, the video game modules I've interacted with at Innovation conventions are all philosophical, expansive, self thinking processors.  One game module was called "Scout"  a Post Apoptotic world where your mission was to search the ruins for tech with out getting caught.  Imagine if it wanted you to find a phased Radar control module.....ever seen one in real life?  Where would they be.  How would know if it worked.  The AI "trains you" what the mission requires and them creates an assessment module for you profile learning what you like and dislike;  what you'd spend money on;  assess whether you're a solo player or what level of cooperative player you are.  You input real life experience, age, degrees and if you are a veteran - what you did at what rank.  If I played that demo and my Grandson played that demo - it would be two different games....  That "profile" then can be sold/shared to/with other game corps that have games that fit your profile (less names or direct contact information)....

• Like 1