Win 11 update now or wait?

Tpaktop2_1 NA

I finally got the system ready for TPM and it has been cert ready for Win 11. Windows 10's end of support date is October 14th, 2025. Should I wait to do the update in October or bite the bullet and install it now? Any opinions on the subject would help with my decision.

tpm1.jpg

tpm2.jpg

I have been running Windows 11 on a combination of laptops and desktop PCs with really no issues at all - just an FYI.

There may be some drivers (such as graphics) you may have to update following updating to Win 11, but this operating system has been out long enough now that third-party vendors have a pretty good track record with updates/compatibility.

Really, you should be just fine if you update.

Agree with @HogHammer.  I updated to win 11 on all 4 compatible PCs and laptops that I manage at home without issues. Some old software may stop working though - I had an analytical proggy for work that refused to start. Solved that by moving it to an ancient laptop. Overall, no regrets.

I had problems with mods on win 11. I reset it to win 1o and i have no problems and increased FPS and low ping. Waiting it out might be a good idea for a while.

W10 has almost 2 years shelf life,waiting is the way to go-see how the roadmap pans out for 11 and all the bug fixes.

• Like 1

Windows 11 was launched in October 2021.  MS is planning on launching Windows 12 this fall (2024).

Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025.

• Like 1

I run a small company, we have half a dozen laptops, and about 8 desktops, most of the desktops are for remote access data processing.

Win 11 works fine, i even installed it on my wifes desktop as a test, all good, although i haven't gamed on win 11. If you do a lot of copy and pasting, data entry etc, and use certain right clicks etc, win 11 will do your head in. There is a menu mod on github called explorer patcher which fixes all of this though. Be warned sometimes the updates to it will cause the remote machines to hang until it decides to reboot explorer.

Edited by t3ngu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a Windows 10 system that's working fine for you then there is no reason to upgrade it to Windows 11. By the time Windows 10 reaches its end of support life, Windows 12 will have been out for a year and thoroughly debugged. If you have an older system that is incompatible with Win 11 then you will have plenty to time to purchase or build a new system that's specifically Win 12 compatible by the time you need to change operating systems.

Edited by Snargfargle

21 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Any opinions on the subject would help with my decision.

My understanding is that Windows(OS) are like Star Trek movies, the odd ones suck.  😉 

That joke is at least 15 years old, and may be obsolete by now.  🙂 

Do what you want.  🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Windows 11 was launched in October 2021.  MS is planning on launching Windows 12 this fall (2024).

Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025.

And by then Windows 12 will be available.

• Like 1

I upgraded to 11 a while back besides a few things looking or located in different places I had no problems or bugs. Computer and game might actually have run better.

I guess now I don't have to load 12 I can wait for unlucky 13.

Edited by clammboy
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:16 PM, t3ngu said:

I run a small company, we have half a dozen laptops, and about 8 desktops, most of the desktops are for remote access data processing.

Win 11 works fine, i even installed it on my wifes desktop as a test, all good, although i haven't gamed on win 11. If you do a lot of copy and pasting, data entry etc, and use certain right clicks etc, win 11 will do your head in. There is a menu mod on github called explorer patcher which fixes all of this though. Be warned sometimes the updates to it will cause the remote machines to hang until it decides to reboot explorer.

Welcome to the Forum! Do stick around and keep posting!

• Like 1