Thread reply number count.

Kaiserliche_garde
Go to solution Solved by I_cant_Swim_,

I don't know why this is bothering me, but in each of the threads there is no numbering/counting for each reply.  The old WoWs Forum had this for each reply (I'm not criticizing).  I have looked at my settings here on devstrike to see if there is a personalization option and I do not find that to be the case.  Just a curious observation.

You're not the only one who's noticed.
It might be a "feature" of the forums that hasn't been "enabled", yet?

I haven't noticed such an option in the admin control panel. I'll take another look, but it may be only achievable through additional packages (that we'd have to buy).

9 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I haven't noticed such an option in the admin control panel. I'll take another look, but it may be only achievable through additional packages (that we'd have to buy).

Your comment is numbered as #comment-3802. The forum is using running numbering for comments, I don't remember any more how the old forum handled this, but yes the post numbering is missing.

19 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Your comment is numbered as #comment-3802. The forum is using running numbering for comments, I don't remember any more how the old forum handled this, but yes the post numbering is missing.

In terms of actually identifying the comment (in links, for example), they were numbered sequentially across the entire forum. But within each thread, the replies were numbered within that specific thread (so Kaiserliche's would be #1, Wolf's would be #2, mine would be #5, etc).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

In terms of actually identifying the comment (in links, for example), they were numbered sequentially across the entire forum. But within each thread, the replies were numbered within that specific thread (so Kaiserliche's would be #1, Wolf's would be #2, mine would be #5, etc).

I did not know that.  Thanks.  🙂

14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I did not know that.  Thanks

Neither did I. TY 2. Looking it up, now...

• Solution

ok, so I may have the answer. There used to be a 3rd party plug-in, but according to an admin discussion forum for our platform, it no longer works with the new hosting version. There is a workaround, by programming the function oneself. Although it looks like I could do that at some later point, once we purchase our backup package, I'd prefer to wait for an updated plugin because I wouldn't want to have to keep up with version release changes on my lonesome. So until I find a plugin that works, we're stuck with what we have.

BTW A there is a huge 3rd party marketplace with plugins for our hosting platform. A suitable, functional plugin may indeed be in there somewhere, so I'll keep an eye on it.

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

8 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

ok, so I may have the answer. There used to be a 3rd party plug-in, but according to an admin discussion forum for our platform, it no longer works with the new hosting version. There is a workaround, by programming the function oneself. Although it looks like I could do that at some later point, once we purchase our backup package, I'd prefer to wait for an updated plugin because I wouldn't want to have to keep up with version release changes on my lonesome. So until I find a plugin that works, we're stuck with what we have.

BTW A there is a huge 3rd party marketplace with plugins for our hosting platform. A suitable, functional plugin may indeed be in there somewhere, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thank you for looking into it.  I didn't mean to create such a hassle for anyone.  Starting over from scratch there is going to be some things that are not the same and this is not like it is a super major issue that will negatively affect any of us as users **COUGH**COUGH** unlike the game we play **COUGH** (some (most?) derision is well earned by WeeGee and others, maybe a little less 😜).

On 8/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Seems like a luxury/quality-of-life expense.  Waiting also seems like a good idea.

Agreed. It would be nice to have, but it's not needed per se.

• Thanks 1