Questions for the community (Pull up a chair and ask or answer questions)

kriegerfaust

This will be a hard one, in WW2 the British had a bomb like weapon dropped in front of enemy ships that attacked them from the bottom from what i can remember it held a detachable explosive or torpedo,  i am sure it weas large as had to be dropped from at least a twin-engine medium bomber....so if you can make sense of my madness, please help me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kriegerfaust said:

This will be a hard one, in WW2 the British had a bomb like weapon dropped in front of enemy ships that attacked them from the bottom from what i can remember it held a detachable explosive or torpedo,  i am sure it weas large as had to be dropped from at least a twin-engine medium bomber....so if you can make sense of my madness, please help me.

Buoyant bomb, or B-bomb.

https://www.navalgazing.net/Weird-British-Anti-Ship-Weapons-of-WWII

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

nope it was bomb shaped and came in two parts, i got that result as well when i was searching for it, but thanks...of course i could be wrong but maybe not 

http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/OrdnancePamphlets/OP1665/Part01/Chapter10/Figure036.htm

of course this could be it, then you would have been close, curse you memory

Edited by kriegerfaust
  • Like 3

You learn something (weird) every day.

• Like 3

Smoke pots exist, mines exist what are stun bombs supposed to be in the real world, that are stun bombs just some magic mechanic or is there a real world they are based on

3 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

Smoke pots exist, mines exist what are stun bombs supposed to be in the real world, that are stun bombs just some magic mechanic or is there a real world they are based on

idiocy. i mean theirs.

• Like 1

They smoke pot? That explains things...

• Haha 4

well, us was trying to design a bomb guided by bats or birds..........

Oddities exist everywhere during war.

46 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

well, us was trying to design a bomb guided by bats or birds..........

Oddities exist everywhere during war.

Of course, the Japanese had human-guided torpedoes and missiles in WWII but it's less known that the US also experimented with them. The difference was that, in the case of the US, the drones were to be piloted remotely by chase aircraft. The problem was that the flying bombs couldn't take off remotely so they would be piloted for a distance and the pilots would then bail out. While piloting one of these drones, the brother of J.F.K. was killed when the explosive went off prematurely. If he had survived there would have been a President Joseph Kennedy instead of a John Kennedy, as he was the one actually being groomed to go into politics by his kingmaker father.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

Stun bombs are rather like the Japanese "Land" bombs which were used - very effectively - by IJN CVs in WW2. They're instantaneously fused HP bombs. They explode on contact with the deck, not attempting to penetrate the ship. The Japanese knew that most AA mounts on ships of that era were open deck mounts. The Land Bombs would kill the gun crews and set fires, preventing the guns from being remanned and paving the way for attack by dive bombers with AP ammunition. 

4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Of course, the Japanese had human-guided torpedoes and missiles in WWII but it's less known that the US also experimented with them. The difference was that, in the case of the US, the drones were to be piloted remotely by chase aircraft. The problem was that the flying bombs couldn't take off remotely so they would be piloted for a distance and the pilots would then bail out. While piloting one of these drones, the brother of J.F.K. was killed when the explosive went off prematurely. If he had survived there would have been a President Joseph Kennedy instead of a John Kennedy, as he was the one actually being groomed to go into politics by his kingmaker father.

Yes, I believe he was jumping out of a B-24 at the time. Kermit Weeks has a B-24 in Polk City named 'Joe' for Joseph P Kennedy.

The Italians also had manned torpedos, the British had mini-subs, and the Germans also had their flying bombs (Mistel).

The big difference is the British, Italian, US, and German flying bombs and torpedos were made so that the 'pilot' could survive the attempt.
The Japanese Human-guided torpedo was not.