Minegumo

majmac

Can anyone shed light on the T9 Jap DD, the Minegumo?

It seems to have swappable torpedoes and one set (or both?) have a range of 15km.

14 hours ago, majmac said:

Can anyone shed light on the T9 Jap DD, the Minegumo?

It seems to have swappable torpedoes and one set (or both?) have a range of 15km.

As a DD Main and a Huge Asashio fanboy it didn't really tickle my fancy.

14 hours ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

the second choice only 6,5 km

This raised quite a few eyebrows, IIRC (and rightly so for PvP), but co-op players tend only to fire at much closer ranges anyway and it won't be an issue for them.

What we could really do with, though, is a Hatsuharu or Fubuki clone with tech tree-identical stats, for coal. This would fill in a gap for Japan in the Armory, which at this moment has premium DDs available at Tier 2 and Tier 10 with literally NOTHING in between right now for newer players. I say newer players because the Shinonome, which would fill that gap nicely as a freemium, is only available through a campaign that requires Tier 8 ships or higher to complete.

14 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

This raised quite a few eyebrows, IIRC (and rightly so for PvP), but co-op players tend only to fire at much closer ranges anyway and it won't be an issue for them.

What we could really do with, though, is a Hatsuharu or Fubuki clone with tech tree-identical stats, for coal. This would fill in a gap for Japan in the Armory, which at this moment has premium DDs available at Tier 2 and Tier 10 with literally NOTHING in between right now for newer players. I say newer players because the Shinonome, which would fill that gap nicely as a freemium, is only available through a campaign that requires Tier 8 ships or higher to complete.

HSF Harekaze & HSF Harekaze-II and Star Kitakaze exist, but their windows of availability are limited, eh?

46 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

or this could be a start of a new japanese dd line

1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

or this could be a start of a new japanese dd line

If we ever see another IJN DD line, I would argue for adding new tier VIII-X ships after Shiratsuyu, as the shift to Akizuki at tier VIII is incredibly jarring. Perhaps these new ships could use the same concept as Minegumo and have multiple torpedo options to distinguish them from the Shimikaze line.

The Harugumo line is a bit of a mess because it is at mid-tiers largely composed of the “leftovers” that didn’t fit in the more coherent Shimikaze line (the ships from tier VI on all represent a common lineage and share many fundamental features) when WG reshuffled the original Japanese DD line and added a few more ships. Having a high tier branch that continues the torpedo playstyle of Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu would make a lot of sense.

Akatsuki (the other tier VII) is arguably a better ship to attach the Akizuki -> Harugumo branch to, as while still primarily a torpedo ship she is probably the best “hybrid” DD in the Japanese tech tree and would be the best place to transition to a “gunboat” branch. WG seems to have moved past the point where they are willing to rearrange tech trees, though, so I doubt such a change would ever be implemented.

Edited by Nevermore135

For PvP: probably questionable because pre buff Yudachi torps won't hit anything but the most braindead of potatoes, and 6.5km torps in a world of hydro, radar, subs, and CVs.

Co-op: load the 6.5 torps and fire in the face of bots. Also Yolo Emilio may do this same thing better.

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

HSF Harekaze & HSF Harekaze-II and Star Kitakaze exist, but their windows of availability are limited, eh?

So limited as to essentially be considered unavailable (although it was a pleasant surprise to see them bringing Star Kita back so soon). 

Black Friday has brought Asashio B up for sale more often than we have seen the HSF ships in the past few years, but Asashio is in a different category by way of her torpedoes and that's not something I think a newbie should be trying to take on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Tbh, there are numerous things we could do with. WG had originally sold T8 ships and below for money or doubloons. T9 and T10 back then were restricted to unlocking through playing the game. There was a certain logic of not allowing players to buy themselves into the "endgame". The reverse was never true, tho. There never was a rationale, that mid tier ships should only be available for money. Then they got greedy and started selling those high tier ships. But for years, it has never occurred to them that they could start introducing freemium and ressource ships for T5-8 on a regular basis.

Yes we had the rare case of a T5-7 ship being moved into the armory, like Blyskawica or Lazo. But T8 has up to now been pretty much restricted to doubloons, money or the dockyard. I would like to see that happen. Especially with the subs. I mean subs are even tiers already. Now WG doesn't offer ressource ships for T6 & T8. So the only freely available subs are T10. As a consequence we see a lot of fairly new or inexperienced players eagerly purchasing those T10-subs and yoloing them into T10, when many of them would be much happier playing a premium T6-sub, if only such a thing existed.

The same is imo true for the surface ships, cause there inexperienced players also get confronted with the idea of getting a free ship above their paygrade, when they would be willing to get some mid-tier ships, if only more were available.

As far as the Hatsuharu is concerned, I personally find a premium Hatsuharu highly unappealing. The reason is simple: The Hatsuharu is part of the Harugumo-line. The Harugumo line is the most popular line for regrinds, because the total XP is the lowest of all possible regrinds. As a result, I have regrinded that line at least 20 times. The Hatsuharu is by far my most played T6-ship and atm my 10th most-played ship overall with ~200 battles. I really wouldn't want a premium ship giving the same experience, as i already grow tired of playing that line.