Very few ships have that ability

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Musket22 said:

Nothing says B_S Gimmickry like...
A CV with smoke dispenser.

Any and all subs with Homing Torps.

Now your turn.

Ships using "Repair Party" to restore their "health" or Hull-Points during a battle.  🙂 
Radar that functions through islands.  Add Hydro-acoustic-search to this, too.
Ships can only see each other if their "detection point" (usually somewhere near the top of their hull) is visible to each other.

Secondary battery guns improve their performance when mounted on a higher-tier hull, despite no change in the make/model/version of the gun in question.

Much of what we take for granted, today, was created during WW-II.

Hedy Lamarr

At the beginning of World War II, she and avant-garde composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes that used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.[6]

Inventor[edit]

Further information: Frequency-hopping spread spectrum

Although Lamarr had no formal training and was primarily self-taught, she invested her spare time, including on set between takes, in designing and drafting inventions,[41] which included an improved traffic stoplight and a tablet that would dissolve in water to create a flavored carbonated drink.[31]

220px-Lamarr_patent.png Copy of U.S. patent for "Secret Communication System"

During the late 1930s, Lamarr attended arms deals with her then-husband arms dealer Fritz Mandl, "possibly to improve his chances of making a sale."[42]. From the meetings, she learned that navies needed "a way to guide a torpedo as it raced through the water." Radio control had been proposed. However, an enemy might be able to jam such a torpedo's guidance system and set it off course.[43] When later discussing this with a new friend, composer and pianist George Antheil, her idea to prevent jamming by frequency hopping met Antheil's previous work. In that earlier work, Antheil attempted synchronizing note-hopping in an avart-garde piece involving multiple synchronized player pianos. Antheil's idea in the piece was to synchronize the start time of identical player pianos with identical player piano rolls, so the pianos would be playing in time with one another. Together, they realized that radio frequencies could be changed similarly, using the same kind of mechanism, but miniaturized.[42]

Based on the strength of the initial submission of their ideas to the National Inventors Council (NIC) in late December 1940, in early 1941 the NIC introduced Antheil to Samuel Stuart Mackeown, Professor of Electrical Engineering at Caltech, to consult on the electrical systems.[44]

[45] Lamarr hired the Los Angeles legal firm of Lyon & Lyon to search for prior art, and to draft the application[46] for the patent[47][48] which was granted as U.S. Patent 2,292,387 on August 11, 1942, under her legal name Hedy Kiesler Markey.[49]

In 1997, Lamarr and Antheil received the Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award and the Bulbie Gnass Spirit of Achievement Bronze Award,[50] given to individuals whose creative lifetime achievements in the arts, sciences, business, or invention fields have significantly contributed to society.[51]

In 2014, Lamarr and Antheil were posthumously inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.[52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr

• Like 2

Nothing says you don't acknowledge that this is an arcade game and not a simulation like using the words "BS Gimmickry".

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Musket22 said:

A CV with smoke dispenser.

Any and all subs with Homing Torps.

Now your turn.

My turn, well gimmicks make the game fun and keep content fresh.  If it was just ships shooting at each other, it would have died years ago. I’m a DD main and the more gimmicks the better. If I had to choose a “gimmick” to get rid of, it would be players inability to adapt to change.  Is that a gimmick? Sure seems like it.  
It’s all about paying attention to the match around you. Take my games today for example. IMG_4622.thumb.png.b111bf24c36e1459a440c2cea95e5dc9.png

every game had a CV and at least 1 sub. The one time I didn’t pay attention was the Tromp game and I paid for for it. 
Subs, CVs and gimmicks aren’t the problem, players are.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Type_93 said:

If I had to choose a “gimmick” to get rid of, it would be players inability to adapt to change.

If I had to choose a gimmick to get rid of, it would be the silly aversion by WG staff to adapting outside ideas into the game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

First time?

Open Water Stealth Firing

that was not a gimmick, it was a global mechanic. yes not all ships could do it but it was not something that would be ship specific (like a consumable or armament) ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Surface ships being unlimited ammunition factories.

EDIT: Apparently ships can carry huge amount of shells. This was an erroneous assumption that I should've properly fact-checked before posting. I was wrong.

Edited by Verytis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Verytis said:

Surface ships being unlimited ammunition factories.

Ships in WWII rarely ran low on ammunition during a single engagement. Warships are, well, ships, and thus can carry a massive amount of ammunition. Fletcher-class destroyers carried 600 rounds for each of their five their main guns, 3000 rounds in total. I don't think that a Fletcher in the game can come anywhere close to sending 3000 shells flying in a battle. In fact, it could only fire 1796 rounds if the left mouse button was held down for the full 20-minute match. 17.96 rounds / min x 5 guns x 20 minutes = 1796 rounds.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Ships in WWII rarely ran low on ammunition during a single engagement. Warships are, well, ships, and thus can carry a massive amount of ammunition. Fletcher-class destroyers carried 600 rounds for each of their five their main guns, 3000 rounds in total. I don't think that a Fletcher in the game can come anywhere close to firing 3000 shells in a battle. In fact, it could only fire 1796 rounds if the left mouse button was held down for the full 20-minute match. 17.96 rounds / min x 5 guns x 20 minutes = 1796 rounds.

About 60 rounds or so, I think, for battleship main guns. I don't think in this game we even get to fire the guns 60 times.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

About 60 rounds or so, I think, for battleship main guns. I don't think in this game we even get to fire the guns 60 times.

The total possible shells that could be fired by the Iowa in the game is about 2 per minute x 9 tubes x 20 minutes, or 360 shells. Iowa-class Battleships carried 1,210 shells total for the 16-inch guns (387 for the #1 turret, 456 for the #2 turret, and 367 for #3 turret). Again, there's no way that a BB in the game could ever deplete its main battery shells if it was a real ship.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Ships in WWII rarely ran low on ammunition during a single engagement. Warships are, well, ships, and thus can carry a massive amount of ammunition. Fletcher-class destroyers carried 600 rounds for each of their five their main guns, 3000 rounds in total. I don't think that a Fletcher in the game can come anywhere close to firing 3000 shells in a battle. In fact, it could only fire 1796 rounds if the left mouse button was held down for the full 20-minute match. 17.96 rounds / min x 5 guns x 20 minutes = 1796 rounds.

TBH I was also referring to torpedoes but I stand corrected. In any case I've at least learned a fun fact. Do all ships carry those amounts of ammunition?

57 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Wow that was a poor choice, good to see I know more about you now.

Yes you learned I'm someone that doesn't always research history in-depth. My mistake in assuming, unless you wish to add more.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Verytis said:

I was also referring to torpedoes

Torpedoes are where the game does get it wrong. A Gato-class sub carried 24 torpedoes and that was all it got until it returned to base to be re-fitted and re-armed. However, limit subs to 24 torpedoes and they would be pretty much a team mascot rather than an actual fighting member of the team.

• Like 1

If you really want to home in on some actual gimmickry that shouldn't be the way it is?

Tactical squadrons for everyone! Because wow, how the heck you fitting that entire flight on the Halford? Plus the functional immunity to being actually deplaned on the currently in early access USN support CVs. And I just figure that unreleased IJN sub is going to be handed a tactical squadron too.

Bonus points if they eventually bring in the Surcouf and either hand it a tactical squadron with smoke or a short burst smoke generator so it can effectively use its deck guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kynami said:

Tactical squadrons for everyone! Because wow, how the heck you fitting that entire flight on the Halford?

You aren't. Halford carries the squadron leader; his colleagues are launched from a shore base to join him.

The same goes for many of the ASW planes, particularly the Halifax that the British ASW uses. There's no way that thing launches from ANY ship in this game, at least not with full tanks and bombs. It's a radio call to a shore squadron, and the icon for the Gouden Leeuw's Unique Upgrade makes this explicit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Torpedoes are where the game does get it wrong. A Gato-class sub carried 24 torpedoes and that was all it got until it returned to base to be re-fitted and re-armed. However, limit subs to 24 torpedoes and they would be pretty much a team mascot rather than an actual fighting member of the team.

It would probably work as long as torpedoes were made as stealthy as they were in RL, and as deadly.  One hit should be enough to stop any ship smaller than a Battleship, and two or three should end any ship.  As it is, we have automatic torpedo detection and instantaneous sharing of tracking among ships with no loss of tracking or chance to evade detection, and warhead sizes that probably would qualify as practice shot, so not having a limited supply is what's needed to keep the weapon system relevant.

For BS Gimmick?  Randomized reward tracks for each player to drive up the temptation to buy into what otherwise was a free reward system.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

For BS Gimmick?  Randomized reward tracks for each player to drive up the temptation to buy into what otherwise was a free reward system.

That's a good one to bring up...yep, total BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kynami said:

If you really want to home in on some actual gimmickry that shouldn't be the way it is?

Tactical squadrons for everyone! Because wow, how the heck you fitting that entire flight on the Halford? Plus the functional immunity to being actually deplaned on the currently in early access USN support CVs. And I just figure that unreleased IJN sub is going to be handed a tactical squadron too.

Bonus points if they eventually bring in the Surcouf and either hand it a tactical squadron with smoke or a short burst smoke generator so it can effectively use its deck guns.

Maybe... they are rubber planes, and they pump them up as they need them?

13 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

20 minute battle.  30 second reload time.  20 minutes divided by 0.5 minute = 40 opportunities to fire.
It's cruisers & DD's who have a greater potential to empty their "real life capacity" magazines, I think.

That said, if my recollection is true, then WG/WOWs has allocated either an infinite amount of ammo per gun or 9,999 shots per gun. 
More than enough for one battle, eh?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Ships in WWII rarely ran low on ammunition during a single engagement. Warships are, well, ships, and thus can carry a massive amount of ammunition. Fletcher-class destroyers carried 600 rounds for each of their five their main guns, 3000 rounds in total. I don't think that a Fletcher in the game can come anywhere close to sending 3000 shells flying in a battle. In fact, it could only fire 1796 rounds if the left mouse button was held down for the full 20-minute match. 17.96 rounds / min x 5 guns x 20 minutes = 1796 rounds.

Here is one I would like to see looked into: 

What was the highest number of torpedoes a DD, CA, BB or especially subs carried?

Reload limit anybody?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Musket22 said:

Here is one I would like to see looked into: 

What was the highest number of torpedoes a DD, CA, BB or especially subs carried?

Reload limit anybody?

As someone else mentioned, the torpedo reload inventory is likely to be the lowest quantity (comapred with main guns and sec-bat guns).
Which might be okay if the warheads did enough damage, eh?

The Type-7 U-boat is an early example of Submarine design, but does illustrate the concept.
Initially carrying 11 torpedoes (total).  The Type VIIB increased this from 11 to 14 torpedoes.
https://uboataces.com/uboat-type-vii.shtml

Type VIIB

An improved version of the Type VIIA, the VIIB had a slightly lengthened hull and larger saddle tanks. This enabled a bigger fuel capacity which increased the range from 4,300nm to 6,500nm. Superchargers were fitted to the diesel engines, increasing surface speed by about 1 knot. Torpedo capacity was also increased from 11 to 14 torpedoes – two were stored externally in pressure tight containers underneath the upper deck. To improve on maneuverability and the turning radius, twin rudders were fitted directly behind the propellers. This new twin rudder arrangement allowed the single stern torpedo tube to be brought inside the pressure hull, making internal reloads at sea possible. On the Type VIIA, the stern torpedo tube was situated externally, and could be reloaded only at port.

A total of 24 Type VIIBs were commissioned.

Edited to add:
In comparison, the Fletcher class Destroyer is listed as having a total of 10 torpedoes, distributed between two quintuple torpedo tube mounts.

Ten 21 in (530 mm) torpedo tubes were fitted in two quintuple mounts amidships, firing the 21-inch Mark 15 torpedo. Anti-submarine armament was two racks for 300-pound (140 kg) depth charges at the stern and six K-gun 300-pound depth charge throwers amidships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-class_destroyer

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Thanks 1