Do I Really Want To Go Down The IJN BattleCruiser Line ?

tm63au

Been running into these IJN BattleCruisers for some time now, the new Sub Branch.

Are they any good ?

I thought they were suppose to be armed with torpedoes not strike planes ? or have I got it wrong ?

Off the top of my head I have at least 3 IJN BattleCruisers now.

What is going for them ?

Anyone liking them

regards

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Been running into these IJN BattleCruisers for some time now, the new Sub Branch.

Are they any good ?

I thought they were suppose to be armed with torpedoes not strike planes ? or have I got it wrong ?

What is going for them ?

Anyone liking them

regards

They're alright, the premium one Tsurugi has torpedoes however the tech-tree ones do not. They have the best accuracy at their tiers and it's only enhanced with a spotter plane that provides 10% better dispersion for the tier 8 and 9 while the tier 10 gets 20% better dispersion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

What is going for them ?

Precision-spotter consumable. Only 10% extra range and shorter duration, but shorter cooldown and built-in dispersion bonus (-10% for the T8-T9; -20% for the T10). 

Other than that, the T9 and T10 have 30mm overmatch, good stealth and decent mobility. The AP has lowish pen, which makes it optimized for soft targets like cruisers and CVs. Basically roving snipers with an on-demand accuracy button. 

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

I thought they were suppose to be armed with torpedoes not strike planes ? or have I got it wrong ?

No torps, you might be thinking of the T9 premium IJN battlecruisers (Daisen, Iwami, Tsurugi). Not sure what strike planes you're referring to.

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Are they any good ?

Depends on what you value in a ship.

Are they satisfying gun platforms? By most accounts, yes. There are clips going around of Bungos one-shotting CVs with relative ease, if that tickles your fancy. 

Will they win as many games as an equally skilled player in a battleship that can properly push? Probably not, but sniping ships will always be more dependent on their forward teammates. 

• Like 3

They could use a standard speed boost to fulfill the battlecruiser archetype. Other than that, they're fragile but hit hard, which is pretty much what one expects. An overextended Bungo will quickly melt under fire, a savvier one will walk out with 250k damage and a couple of Dev Strikes.

• Like 1

As an IJN main, I suspect that I'll not collect them anytime soon...  To what end?  They simply don't, for what I expect a Battle Cruiser to do, fill that niche.....

Time will tell but, very few I play Ops with use the Tier 8 and in ASB's, I saw very few.  I never played them.......?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tm63au said:

Are they any good ?

Yumahari (the tier VIII) is underwhelming, and feels like a tier VII with some gimmicks slapped on to justify its placement.

Adatara (the tier IX) is… ok. 30mm overmatch is nice but the AP shell performance leaves a lot to be desired.

I’ve unlocked the tier X but haven’t played it yet.

For me, the ships feel too slow to be considered proper “battlecruisers.” They all have a top speed of 30 knots, which is nothing special at tier VIII+.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tm63au said:

Are they any good ?

What is going for them ?

Anyone liking them

regards

I've welcomed the Yumihari to my Port.
It will be a while before I can research & welcome the Adatara and the Bungo.

For the purpose of providing a ship to a needy Commander in my Port, the Yumihari is fulfilling her purpose.
As for her performance in battle?  Ehhh... "ho-hum" or "average" is my current opinion.

The Yumihari can sink ships.  She's reasonably fast for a Battleship category ship in-game.  
If one plays to her strengths and is mindful of her limitations, then one can do okay.
The special camouflage is very nice to look at and is one of her redeeming features.  🙂 

• Like 1