Unicums, How Do You Arrest Falling Win Rate/Overcome Win Rate Stagnation?

Superhavoc

Hello all, "long time" but relatively inexperienced player here, I've managed to reach over 54% win rate within my first 1000 battles (same in-game name if you want to verify my stats), however my WR seems to have stagnated rather than continue growing, and worse yet, my WR is in freefall thanks to a horrific losing streak this past week despite my best efforts. Furthermore, in the past 2 months I've needed to play incredibly sweaty with minimal mistakes just to avoid losing streaks, if I try to play even slightly casual or for fun I simply cannot get a win, no matter the tier or class.

It's pretty disheartening and I'm really feeling the pressure, but I shall not be deterred! I simply must get better at the game to break these losing streaks sooner! So I ask the Unicums and the experienced players of this community, how do you break your losing streaks? How did you get "over the hump" of WR stagnation and resume the steady increase? And how do you maintain your current WR? (Apologies if this post is a bit incoherent as I'm frustrated typing this, I can also provide replays/more context if you wish)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A good question, and welcome aboard!

• Like 1

I am not unicum but to increase your wr or to keep it same:

1 play in a division with friends

2 play with ships that have more impact on the game result CV or DDs, radar cruisers

• Like 2

Take occasional breaks if you're someone that plays long sessions. Fatigue is real.

Take a brief moment to review your gameplay between each match. Do not just start another round immediately.

Understand your ship. Most are relatively straight forward, however some are more unique than others.

Play against challenging opponents, and in modes where you can have high impact. Eg. Ranked or CB.

Take opportunities to test the limits of your ship. Difference between a game and the real world is the lack of lasting consequences designed to keep you down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And don't forget your prayers and offerings to RNGeezus! 🙏

Or come over to the fun side in Asymmetric Battles (for the next 20hrs...) and Operations & Scenario Battles where PVP WR means very little. Watching the streams of late on Twitch, even the most unicummy of unicums can get caught up in horrible blowouts where they're on the losing side. They often rage over it... Some just switch to another game. Some act like they don't care but their tone still changes so you can be pretty sure it's affecting them.

I used to care. Now I don't. I'm getting old. So is the game and the changes made to it don't mesh well with me in PVP (cough, cough CV rework & subs, cough). I do watch some of these so-called unicums on Twitch though and yes, while they play well and have excellent knowledge of the current game mechanics (I kinda stopped trying to keep up), if the RNG and MM toss them snake eyes, they lose just like everybody else. Some then go on to "report" and stat shame their teammates so everyone can feel their rage. If they get too obnoxious, I watch something else.

In the end, it's a game. Sometimes we take it too seriously (myself included). When it stops being fun, take a break.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

…could not have put it better even on a good day.

No one is daft here, and what still is a quite good naval shoot em up game, imho by over stacking and adding ‘psy warfare’ gamble and loot box mechanics, ridiculous props for new classes, it has overgrown itself in complexity and if anything frequent blowout games could and should be a proof of that.

Factoring in crazy rng levels, and with regard to OPs topic, the only advice I can come up with is to play a ship that one really likes in modes that suit it best. In no way one can avoid consequences of past bricklaying of crap on top of crap by devs, but there is a higher chance of getting some fun out of it. And last but not least,  screw the winrates, there is plenty of those dependancies in real life, no point in transferring them in my or anybody else's fun time ie free time🤟.

WGs gonna do it anyways, and park it behind fee walls of rng, while having a blast out if it😁

All the best, even to dildo mains🤟😁

• Like 1

My advice to you would be to try to disengage from the WR loop... Forget about your stats and just enjoy the game for what it is. The way of the stats will only lead to frustration as you'll eventually peak and every slump will ruin your mood. 

You'll start limiting your playing experience in order to "care for the stats"... You may avoid playing some interesting ships because they have low impact, you may bench some ships you love to play because their stats are awesome and you want to keep them that way. You may go tryhard mode every match, forgetting the main goal of the game is to have fun and chill out. You are already suffering from some symptons and I can guarantee the final stage is burn-out. 

Moreover, "improving" your WR if not done organically will imply things like playing in Div with other good players, playing certain ship, at certain tiers, even at certain hours and/or days. You'll need to play another metagame that may not be all that fun to play.  

I'm ArIskandir and I'm a stat junkie. As any adiction, it can be destructive if you let it rule your experience. Break out of it, that's my advice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I have over 9800 solo random battles and my win rate is 45.80% but it has been on a steady upward direction.  I have 523 battles in my favorite ship the Lenin but my win rate for this ship is definitely stuck at 41%.  I attribute my upward climb to the attention I've been paying to learning how to figure out flank control playing BBs.  I expect my win rate will be dropping for a few months as I concentrate on playing DDs. I look forward to seeing whether this prediction comes true.

As far as win/loss streaks I don't think it really matters.  These things tend to work in favor of completing missions which gets you more ships which lets you learn more about how to play this game. 

There are also variations of gameplay throughout the day.   Mornings are fierce and I have to be sharp.  Noon hrs. are just weird.  Around 3pm the lemmings come out for an hour or so after which really nice battles happen for several hours. Then I get tired and take a nap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The way of the stats will only lead to frustration as you'll eventually peak and every slump will ruin your mood. 

8brj01795.jpg.3757c9463b050a90a89d61777bbdafb2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I expect my win rate will be dropping for a few months as I concentrate on playing DDs. I look forward to seeing whether this prediction comes true.

Not necessarily. Your PR will for sure drop because you won't be doing BB levels of damage, although some from time to time. You should see your spotting damage increase. It took me forever to get a combat scout and I got it in one of the harder ships for me to play, a Tier 7 torpedo bote. I am a bit better at gun boating.

I just crested 2,ooo solo randoms. My win rate in September last was 41% [with about 6oo battles], it is now 46%. I have been playing randoms less for reasons as I was doing a lot of brawls to gain some rewards and experience without hurting my wr. But I do randoms every weekend for naval battles. It takes about 4 weeks of more effort than weekend randoms to increase my wr by 1%. Thankfully, I do not have 1ok battles or it would take forever or by then I should be a much better player. I am in the short term about 5o% give or take as I monitor the other modes of play during the day I play since wows doesn't track these stats. 

• Like 3

@Superhavoc First, I'm sure many players would love to have a 54% win rate in randoms.  It has been suggested that you division up with other players also.  Looking at Wows numbers, I see you do so about 40 percent of the time (two-person division).  Solo, you are at 54% and in a division at 52%.  Here, the only thing I could suggest is to possibly get one more player to go into a division (3 players).  I can be more fun, give you a better ability to control your section of the map, and since you mention the possibility of doing Clan Battles in the future (clan description), give you a good idea of your clan's skills and talents in different classes of ships.

Looking at your charts (WR, PR, Average Damage and Average Experience) from Wows numbers, all I see is progress generally overall.  The only area that has dipped would be damage with a slight decrease.

With a little over 1,000 battles in random, even if you win 6 out of 10 battles, you'll see only slight movement in your base win rate - it takes time and consistency.  Here, a graph can give you a better idea of your progress.

Super.png.4685dbb7d997a94b578442b50ea5b602.png  Your actual improvement over several months.

Really, the strongest advice I would offer you is to play more (if time permits).  And do so at a tier, ship type you feel comfortable with.

You can't just look at your WR on your in-game profile.  You have to see what is driving that number, and Wows numbers, although not perfect, will give you a much better idea.

superhavoc - Player info and stats - WoWS Stats & Numbers - NA (wows-numbers.com)

• Thanks 1

On the "I am cynical side" of this game, you could do what so many other Barney's do>:  Farm Noobs....  Take a Radar Tier 7 ship out and Farm to your hearts content (against tier 5 and 6 ships...)  In a division is even better with radar ships....  Division with other Barney level players and learn all of the "secrets" and exploits that can drive WR up.....  To what end in a children's game, is beyond me.....

Or, simply stop caring about statistics in a game designed for Children....  It's not a serious, mature game at all mate....  Eight year olds are playing it.  You are fighting against grade school children whom are bored out of their minds.....know absolutely nothing about the era these ships come from; nor, will stay in this game more than a month.... 

I ran into a Grandson of a friend playing his "Gramp's" account the other night....  (He wasn't allowed to be on chat;  so, because there was nothing but silence,  I asked the next day what was going on !  Grandson was playing his account....) 

• Thanks 1

First rule of WR is , Just do your best and forget about your WR.

This is a random game with all sorts of random players who play for all sorts of random reasons.

You can't take WR seriously because you have no real team to work with unless you are in CB or KOTS.

You will have the best game (s)  of your life and still lose. You can't let it bring you down.

Whenever you feel it's too much just do what I do.

sdgbsrtnsfybftsfynb.gif.3e10cdd05e6df852f5f274e8d88c2407.gif

e45678e58e5.gif.53b7341476fab0fd725cfcbffd634053.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There's been many discussions about win rate. 

There was a conversation about it in Flamuu stream this after-noon. He says he has a 69% win rate on each server, Russia, NA, EU, and Asia. With this information he argues that wr is not random.

There was a discussion on discord about it. The participants agreed that a Tier 1o /solo wr/ is the ideal metric by which to judge a player. Div'ing up might improve wr but not necessarily skills.

I asked if there was another metric by which to measure improvement and the Tier 1o /solo/ is the answer I got back. I was thinking PR is no good for a DD main as the damage isn't always there considering the other influences a destroyer has on the game. I inquired about experience as a sound measurement but that did not gain much traction.

Basically, if you have three good/excellent players on a random team the chances of winning increase; then it is my goal to become one of these three good players. Doesn't always work but these skilled players are winning [carrying] games, whether they are on your side or not.

So I do not forget about win rate. It is the actual way to see what is going on with a player - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Neil Young song Old Man has one of my favorite lines ever. " It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you" it applies to many things in life including this game. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Wow! First of all, thank you to everyone who responded, wasn't expecting this many replies!

Common theme I'm seeing is that I'm taking personal stats far too seriously, rather than enjoying the game, and these people are right.  What @ArIskandir said in particular hits home, I need to break out this mentality.  Also big thanks to @HogHammer for putting things into perspective, makes me feel a bit better.

What I've just realized thanks to everyone, I've already achieved a somewhat respectable WR in my first 1000 battles, I consider that a win in of itself.  From here on I'm going to forget WR and just play the game for what it's worth (and take more breaks), even if I somehow lose that next 100 games in a row lol.  Of course I'll still try my best in battle, but whatever happens, happens.

Thank you again to everyone who responded, glad I came here!

Edited by Superhavoc
Formatting
  • Like 4

Only play low tier with OP ships like the kamikaze R or the Gulio Cesar. Seal club away with a golden club. 

• Like 1

@Superhavoc
Super, imo you are already a good player.  My only suggestions are:
1.  Don't play cruisers too much.  Your win rate is a lot higher in DDs, BBs, and CVs.   For some reason you are a lot more comfortable playing/winning in those three classes.

2. Play just a bit more conservatively to help stay alive longer/more often.  Very good players have survival rates in battles much higher than 50% vs. your 43%.

As others have pointed out, just playing in a division of 3 players, as long as they are about as skilled as you are, will raise your win rate because you then have less of a chance of getting really bad players on your team plus the communication you do with your divisions mates should help you win more as well.

• Like 1

I stopped playing randoms about 2 years ago 😛 no losses in win rate but no gains either.

Find people that do replay reviews, Lord Zath is a good one. Find your games you did middle of the board or a close game that you won or lost and he can walk you through your decisions. 

But for me it's been do I need to be shooting real people to enjoy this game? The answer has been no for most of my time playing it, I'd much rather have a good time blowing up bots then deal with the frustration of 9-11 people not interested in playing somewhat competently. When WG let's me have a division of 12 in randoms I might do it more. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Superhavoc said:

Hello all, "long time" but relatively inexperienced player here, I've managed to reach over 54% win rate within my first 1000 battles (same in-game name if you want to verify my stats), however my WR seems to have stagnated rather than continue growing, and worse yet, my WR is in freefall thanks to a horrific losing streak this past week despite my best efforts. Furthermore, in the past 2 months I've needed to play incredibly sweaty with minimal mistakes just to avoid losing streaks, if I try to play even slightly casual or for fun I simply cannot get a win, no matter the tier or class.

It's pretty disheartening and I'm really feeling the pressure, but I shall not be deterred! I simply must get better at the game to break these losing streaks sooner! So I ask the Unicums and the experienced players of this community, how do you break your losing streaks? How did you get "over the hump" of WR stagnation and resume the steady increase? And how do you maintain your current WR? (Apologies if this post is a bit incoherent as I'm frustrated typing this, I can also provide replays/more context if you wish)

1. play with friends

2. play with friends who know what they're doing

3. play game carrying ships, DDs, radar cruisers and CVs

4. play absolutely for the win

For me if I start to lose I'll change game-mode and my ship type. If I was having a bad session in Moskva then I'll go play something else. Yamato or Montana maybe. It really depends on what you're comfortable wqith.

• Like 2

I am currently sitting at a 51.92 Win rate

With over 15k battles and when I had my first 1000 battles I was at 55 percent win rate. Most battles are either pure luck or well thought out wins, but lately there seems to be a new trend of losses with bad luck I am guessing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

3. play game carrying ships, DDs, radar cruisers and CVs
4. play absolutely for the win

These are important ones.

If you find that the DDs on your team are always throwing the game by getting killed in the first two minutes when running straight into a cap and then popping smoke and sitting broadside in it, blissfully ignorant of torpedoes. Or, when capping is needed later in the game, they are merrily sailing around on their own mission trying to find the enemy CV or a Conqueror hiding at the far end of the map. If this is the case, then it's time to learn how to play DDs and start having at least one DD on the team that contributes to the objectives.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

If you find that the DDs on your team are always throwing the game by getting killed in the first two minutes when running straight into a cap and then popping smoke and sitting broadside in it, blissfully ignorant of torpedoes.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Those guys are 75% of the reason why I have so many First Bloods and Devstrikes!!   🤣

giphy(14).gif.169488e749587d88c84566dfbe1fee92.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/9/2024 at 5:59 AM, Verytis said:

Understand your ship. Most are relatively straight forward, however some are more unique than others.

Especially this. Stats are one thing, and can certainly tell a story about that ship's performance. However, getting in there and EXTENSIVELY using said ship, learning her strengths and weaknesses....that's how you understand the true performance levels of a ship.

You must become one with the ship to understand her to the greatest level!!!

image.png.ad4d3d6209e44623e9a3941dba677b3a.png

(Ok, maybe no need to go THAT far, but I needed an excuse to use this pic lols)

However, yes. Understanding your ship leads to better performance in that ship, which ultimately leads to more wins! Of course, using naturally stronger ships will also potentially help you retain/improve that winrate, as well! ~-~º(◠v◠)ºv~-~

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 3