What are the best guns for a destroyer

kriegerfaust

My personal favorite are the main guns of the Somers class (Still waiting for the Porter class to join the game, as well as the other variations of the Somers).  That the Somers carries eight in four dual mounts does not hurt the case, great for setting fires on Battleships and cruisers.  Enough love for my American arc, what guns do you like German, French, British, Italy, USSR, Japan.   I would not mind the Balch as a lower tier Somers alternative, so what existing destroyer guns, prototype or transplanted guns from another class of ship do you think would make the best destroyer guns.  Only rules are between 4-6' destroyers have mounted bigger but let us be practical.  Please describe any modification's you want to make and post below but most important have fun.

Edited by kriegerfaust

• kriegerfaust changed the title to What are the best guns for a destroyer

The main guns aboard Somers are among the last things one may have a positive impression on, judging from how they seem deceptively more useful than they actually are.

I'd pick the USN 5"/38 also... not because of the ballistics (although it can be satisfying to lob shells over high cover and hit targets other ships couldn't), but because of the gun handling and ubiquity of the type. Even the mid-tier USN DDs have traverse rates that are reasonably comfortable, but the high-tier turrets are just amazing. They're always pointing exactly where you need them to; you never have to choose between shooting and maneuvering, and shifting fire from one target to the next takes no time at all. Plus, once you've fired one, you've fired all of them (at least in the DD lineup; of all the ships in the game with that gun, IIRC the only one with different ballistics is San Diego), so no matter which of the tech line ships or premiums you want to play, it's practice for all the others, too- and there are loads of them.

• Like 1

Soviet guns best even though the ships might not be. In basically all guns I value short lead times.

• Like 1

You should see F Sherman's 127mm guns with the same ballistics of a DM's 203mm. Go try a 17km build on it, I kidd you not. I thought it was mostly just a meme initially.

There's been lots of ballistic creep if you look at newer ships.

Edited by Verytis
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Verytis said:

You should see F Sherman's 127mm guns with the same ballistics of a DM's 203mm. Go try a 17km build on it, I kidd you not. I thought it was mostly just a meme initially.

There's been lots of ballistic creep if you look at newer ships.

I would definitely use this build if I get a chance to play Sherman.

In terms of shell flight time the best performer is Elbing, which is slightly better than Hindenburg in term of ballistics

• Like 1

Best DD guns?  I quite like the 127mm on Hayate (I think the same ones are found on Yamagiri), and the 100mm on Harugumo line.  Also quite like the 120mm on Smaland/Friesland/Groningen.   Wish we could have them with faster and less floaty shells...

Anything with flat arcs is good, the ones with curved arcs are bad.

Well, the best guns would be anti-matter propelled, Battlesteel housed plasma infused dual purpose rounds....  This BlackPower or "organic, mineral based propellant" stuff we have today simply is prehistoric and....and....so obtusely developed, archaic munitions it makes your head spin.....sigh. 

Why is it we can't even get fantasy right in this game.......  [face slap emoji] 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

120 mm/50 Ansaldo Model 1937

...with SAP loaded.

The ones that get me a kraken 🙂

It appears that this the French 139mm guns, since the Guepard got my last one, and the Kleber has been doing well for me in CB's. They consistently get citadels on cruisers within 8 km (much to the chagrin of Perto's, DM's and Moskva's) although the "loft" at longer ranges can be problematic. Sometimes it's useful for raining HE down on BB's without being detected, although French DD's are not my first choice for island camping...

Akizuki/Kita/Gumo or French. 

American DD were the first line I went up in 2020, the high arcs messed with my hand/eye coordination like mad.  Still don’t care for arcs that go off into orbit. Regardless of their ability to shoot over things.