Kitakami

TeutonicKnight

So my question is this, is the Kitakami worth all of the resources that she costs or is she just a collectors ship?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeutonicKnight said:

So my question is this, is the Kitakami worth all of the resources that she costs or is she just a collectors ship?

spacer.png  

Personally, I don't have enough resources to exchange to gain the Kitakami during this event.
But, I wouldn't kick the Kitakami out of my Port if she dropped-in via a loot-crate (which is an infinite improbability, at the moment).

The Kitakami has a special play-style, and is a Collector's Item type of ship.
That said, I'm not about to spend "whale" levels of money in an attempt to welcome the Kitakami to my Port.
I'll remain patient and maybe someday my circumstances will become more favorable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

IMO primarily a collectors ship riding on the coat tails of its legacy from years ago. Either the original Tier VIII version from the early days of the game or even the Tier X from last time. If you have tons of resources with nothing else to spend them on, it might be worth getting only because of that 2+ year exclusivity period and no guarantee when it will be offered after that. But of the two Tier X ships, Defence is by far the better use of resources.

The torpedo loader mechanic really gutted it’s ability to saturate an area with torps like it’s famous for. It takes about five minutes to reload all of the racks. You can launch 40 torps at once about as frequently as Jinan can with its TRB (and that’s not counting the extra torps Jinan can launch while waiting for the TRB cooldown). You’re better off using one launcher at a time and staggering them rather than waiting for all of them to reload. You do have the fast swapping between normal torps and Asashio super deepwaters so you can react to which type you need quickly, if you have them loaded.

Kitakami is also rather fast and very stealthy (plus the exhaust smoke), but it needs to be to have any chance of staying alive. It’s a Tier IV ship at Tier X, with Tier IV health and armor. Most destroyers will outgun you, and outspot you as well. You’re stealthy for a cruiser, but you’re still not a destroyer. (Well, you are basically a destroyer, just with a citadel and no stealth).

But at least it must have Tier IV AA if it’s a Tier IV hull, right? Of course not, they had to remove it to make room for the torps. Every single upgraded Tier IV cruiser has better AA. Every stock Tier IV cruiser has better AA (stock Kuma has shorter short range and lower short range damage, but it also has mid range defenses unlike Kitakami). Even a bunch of Tier III cruisers have better AA (of the ones that have AA). You’re carrier food.

TL;DR, you’re a Tier IV ship in Tier X that gets out spotted and outgunned by pretty much every destroyer you meet, and out AA’d by Tier III ships despite having to face Tier X and XI carriers rather than Tier IV. Your entire thing is torpedoes, but Jinan/Yueyang/Kunming are better torp boats while also having better survivability and guns. Even Yodo is probably a more useful torp cruiser.  It’s a collector’s ship with an infamous history in WoWS and a reputation that it doesn’t live up to anymore.

• Like 3

I am debating getting it.  I am the target audience, after all.  tons of resources;  even after getting it, I will have:  over a year of premium time, enough coal to buy any 2 ships, enough steel for any ship, enough RB for any remaining ship (have all the RB T10's).  The ONLY thing holding me back?  Feeling like a sucker- it's a meme ship, a shell of its former self, I get it.  But with the expense, I get 2 T10's, a T7, a T6, and 4 big Santa crates.  Strange fence to be sitting on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

I am debating getting it.  I am the target audience, after all.  tons of resources;  even after getting it, I will have:  over a year of premium time, enough coal to buy any 2 ships, enough steel for any ship, enough RB for any remaining ship (have all the RB T10's).  The ONLY thing holding me back?  Feeling like a sucker- it's a meme ship, a shell of its former self, I get it.  But with the expense, I get 2 T10's, a T7, a T6, and 4 big Santa crates.  Strange fence to be sitting on.

Just do it!  (Nike vibe)

😄

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

I am not a collector and I am like you with billions of credits and millions of other stuff.........."just buy it"....

I've played it in Asymmetrical Battles a lot and have had a blast with it ! 

My advice:  Don't let it get away......... 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the help, wasn't quite sure. I was thinking the same...she's quite the resource hog. But is she worth all of that? 

Edited by I_cant_Swim_
deadspace removal

I had the resources and no interest in much else being offered, so I got it.  I still haven't played it.

It's a trophy ship.

• Like 3
  • Bored 1

Ah... Kitakami. Vast subject.

Almost everything has already been said, so I will shut it up.

Nevertheless, I would like to add one thing : if you decide to get the Kitakami, remember that you will also get three other ships :
- Elli,
- F.Ferruccio,

- Defence.

The first one, Elli is... meh. Not bad but not good either. A copy of the Italian Duca D'Aosta with better range but slower reload. Honnestly, I don"t play her. At least it's a ship to make a bit of profit.

F. Ferruccio, on the other hand, has really been a good surprise. The page on the Wiki is empty, so I allow myself :
This little italian cruiser is fast, faster than some DDs with 36.5 knots, a short turning circle,  rather nimble, has long-range italian torps (slow, average damage and 1.1 km detection), a really excellent camo for its tier (mine is at 8.6 km) combined with the italian smoke and the choice between fighter or spotter airplane.
More than this, she can shoot HE or SAP with 2 X 4 152 mm guns in 2 turrets and a surpisingly good range for its tier  (17.5 km). Btw, the SAP is very good and she remains accute
Of course, she has a thin armour, weak secondaries, arguable AA, an average reload but globally, the ship is rather funny to play.
I love her. And DDs hate her.

As for Defence, it looks like a Collingwood, except that it has 356 mm guns instead of the 419mm. But with a cruiser's reload (15,8"). And a far better accuracy.
The AA is just average, like her camo.
The main problem is that players (me included) tend sometimes to forget that it is only a cruiser with a cruiser' armour (only 30mm on the sides...) and a citadel above the water level. So, must be played very cautiously. And turrets are slow (36" for 180°). Yet, the ship has also been a good surprise due to its reload and the amount of damage dealt.

As for the Kitakami, all has already been said.
Very good if you wish to send a wall of torpedoes... as long as you have the time to reload ALL the tubes which is, actually, rarely the case in game. 🙂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TeutonicKnight said:

Kitakami herself is "only" about 50% more expensive than the Slava, for instance, which isn't too awful considering she's been in development hell and will be made artificially scarce again. The first 40 stages bring their own rewards, which are about right for the cost: that is, assuming you buy them with RB points or simply have no options left for your coal/steel.

You still have a month to grind RB points, and there's the 2x reset in 20 days to help a bit.

I'm pretty close to bring able to get her. Is she a strong ship? Probably not, but she has the "x factor" that makes her interesting and, presumably, replayable. After all, I've played far more with Tromp than Daring even though my winrates in them are 51 to 71% so far...

Besides, the last RB ships I got (Hector and van Speijk) have been pretty generic, so it's not like I'm saving points for anything more interesting than Kitakami...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:02 AM, TeutonicKnight said:

I only know what I have seen on YT since I dont have it myself. Of course a lot of cherrypicked games but going by 2 big streamers (Flambass and Trenlass) it seems Flambass loves it and Trenlass hates it .... so go figure. Just going by its stats I think its one of those ships that can be mega OP if you understand how you play it but most who gets it probably wont so they will think it sucks.

I think some might think less of it because really long reload time for all the launchers but I think that is actually a great thing because then you can launch sequences of sets all the time, not really a paus in between where enemys can feel safe. The "40 torps at once" is a gimmick, sure, cool to see 40 green dots going away but how many will actually hit? Better to send a new salvo of 1-2 launchers every 15 or so seconds, aimed at specific targets more than just flooding the ocean. 

It is an insane cost, but then again if you have all the other ships and all those resources left over its maybe a good deal. If you dont have all the other great/amazing Coal/steel ships I would recommend you to buy those instead. 

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, TeutonicKnight said:

I do have Kitakami. I was only off 10 stages using coal, so I ground away for the last bit of coal needed and got it.

Why did I get it?

Yeah, likely a bit of collector, but I have ever current ship listed for coal and simply had been building it up.

Is it usable?

Any ship can be used. The real questions is 'can you do well in it'?

I mostly got mine because of the memes and its infamous history of torpedo spam. As previously stated, the torpedo load is glacial as it goes one launcher at a time. I have yet to experience a full load. I've also only been taking it out in Asymmetric battles.

Overall, the torpedos are what is going to do damage for you. The guns........are really only there for you have to something to shoot between torpedo reloads.
Its not a 'training' ship, you do need a specifically trained captain for it.

Am I having fun with it?

Oh hell yeah. Another reason I got the thing.

Below is one of 2 replays I sent into WOWS Operations.
This replay I was with a Yamato and really didn't get to do as much. The second one (which he is holding for a rainy day) had alot more damage.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TeutonicKnight said:

There is no universal answer to this question. Is it worth it to you?

Everybody here is going to have a different answer...as there is no actual market for items in this game.

If the Kitakami is worth spending the resources FROM YOU, then get it. None of our value assessments will actually help you.

11 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

it might be worth getting only because of that 2+ year exclusivity period and no guarantee when it will be offered after that.

This is a bad reason to get the ship, it rewards WG for continuing to offer a very 'toxic to the game' sales strategy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tocqueville8 said:

Kitakami herself is "only" about 50% more expensive than the Slava, for instance, which isn't too awful considering she's been in development hell and will be made artificially scarce again. The first 40 stages bring their own rewards, which are about right for the cost: that is, assuming you buy them with RB points or simply have no options left for your coal/steel.

You still have a month to grind RB points, and there's the 2x reset in 20 days to help a bit.

I'm pretty close to bring able to get her. Is she a strong ship? Probably not, but she has the "x factor" that makes her interesting and, presumably, replayable. After all, I've played far more with Tromp than Daring even though my winrates in them are 51 to 71% so far...

Besides, the last RB ships I got (Hector and van Speijk) have been pretty generic, so it's not like I'm saving points for anything more interesting than Kitakami...

Since the four ships in the event are stacked upon each other, has anyone calculated the actual resource costs per ship? I'm not in game right now, so can't see the how much of my resources each would take individually.

9 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Since the four ships in the event are stacked upon each other, has anyone calculated the actual resource costs per ship? I'm not in game right now, so can't see the how much of my resources each would take individually.

4 big crates for 7200 RB points. Elli for 12000. Ferruccio for 19200, Defence for 57600, Kitakami for 96000.

The ratios are 3:5:8:24:40.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tocqueville8 said:

I have it, but I don't play it (for now). But I've encountered it a few times in randoms. She is definitely interesting IMO: I'm sure you can get a lot of torpedo hits in it. As a BB player, I found it frustrating to deal with as long as it stays hidden. Especially when the allied DD and CV players don't know what are they up against. I see it as a cruiser version of Jager: a lot of torps, weak guns (mostly because it can't trade damage efficiently due to weak armor), good concealment + smoke. And a weak carry potential against average-good players.

• Like 2

So... Kitakami is something of an overpriced lighthouse then? Roughly about twice as expensive (separately) as it should be, so there's a bit of a mark up for exclusivity.

Funny how most of the people who call it a "trophy ship" or think "it's a waste" dont own it.  If you don't own it, maybe read more and comment less.

I have 18 coal ships, all the coal captains, 3 RB ships and 2 steel ships. There's nothing left I want so i don't feel bad for clearing out my stash on the Kitakami.

Should i listen to all the haters and stubbornly sit on my resources? 

Thoughts:
Over all, it can be boring but it is a very effective ship. 

Hope there is no CV in the game because once spotted, you're lucky to escape. It must be the weakest tier x and makes the Omaha look like a tank. 
If you live more than a couple minutes, it's not difficult to score 100k just by torp spamming the sea lanes. 
Even without a CV, you have to play 9.5k from the closest ship. Don't bitch at a Kitakami for playing in the mid/back of the map - they have too1
Guns on the Jager seem better. 

If you are bored, here is a 20 min, low scoring game but, I played well.

All of you saying trophy and not worth it, GOOD! I like that there are few of these shps!

torp you later!

image.thumb.png.554784c4576e7f40980f095bae70eb4a.pngffffff.thumb.PNG.0a1dd1248e8687906a190c3a4f24f60d.PNG

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

Funny how most of the people who call it a "trophy ship" or think "it's a waste" dont own it.  If you don't own it, maybe read more and comment less.

I have 18 coal ships, all the coal captains, 3 RB ships and 2 steel ships. There's nothing left I want so i don't feel bad for clearing out my stash on the Kitakami.

Should i listen to all the haters and stubbornly sit on my resources? 

Thoughts:
Over all, it can be boring but it is a very effective ship. 

Hope there is no CV in the game because once spotted, you're lucky to escape. It must be the weakest tier x and makes the Omaha look like a tank. 
If you live more than a couple minutes, it's not difficult to score 100k just by torp spamming the sea lanes. 
Even without a CV, you have to play 9.5k from the closest ship. Don't bitch at a Kitakami for playing in the mid/back of the map - they have too1
Guns on the Jager seem better. 

If you are bored, here is a 20 min, low scoring game but, I played well.

All of you saying trophy and not worth it, GOOD! I like that there are few of these shps!

torp you later!

image.thumb.png.554784c4576e7f40980f095bae70eb4a.pngffffff.thumb.PNG.0a1dd1248e8687906a190c3a4f24f60d.PNG

...as if we all have the resources to buy a ship like this...

Context is important when discussing value.

• Like 2

If one can’t afford it, they aren’t concerned with the topic.  🤷‍♂️ 

21 hours ago, TeutonicKnight said:

Nope not at all, she's quite eh.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

27 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Nope not at all, she's quite eh.

I'm curious, is there a technical difference between eh and meh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's a Kraken in the Kita. Note always switching torps and the great smoke. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

And that's why i provided my reasoning. If I didnt already have Ohio, Illinois, Bourgogne, etc, I wouldn't get the Kita. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

If you can't afford it, then don't worry about it.

I blew a wad of coal and added 4 more ships to my already bloated port. I still have 125k coal left over. Did not spend a single steel or RB point. I still maintain it's an IQ test, and I admit I am completely bonkers for it, but lets face facts, it's not real money and I have literally nothing else to spend coal on as I already have every ship and every commander in the armoury that you can obtain with coal.

• Like 2