Santa left a bag of flaming dog turd on my doorstep!!

Capt_Kremenski

As always - prefaced by saying I'm a COOP main.

So I finally got round to opening my Santa crates (all free).

Like everyone I got a few ships and boy did I have a result!! (NOT).

Ise - Jury is out on this one. I have the Nebraska which I enjoy but I don't use the planes as I'd have trouble hitting a large island never mind a moving ship (I hear you can use the planes for spotting but in coop by the time the planes are ready all ships are spotted anyway!!)

California - 20 KT top speed and 34 sec reload, enuf said!

Nottingham - I'd never heard of this thing or seen one in battle, but I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl. I'm a big fan of all forward facing guns, to me this is the pick of the bunch.

Toulon - I can walk faster than this thing and while I'm at it go get a coffee while waiting for the guns to reload (28 seconds on a cruiser?? Did I read that right?).

Genova - A tier 5 cruiser with 20 second reload, I'll stick with the only other Italian cruiser I have - Abruzzi.

Maybe in randoms reload speed is not the end of the world, but as we all know in coop it's essential, maybe I've been spoilt by the Mino and Colbert but most of these ships wont be leaving port.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Bored 2

25 minutes ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

Genova - A tier 5 cruiser with 20 second reload, I'll stick with the only other Italian cruiser I have - Abruzzi.

You can get your torpedo reload down into sub 42 seconds on Genova...thats four torps every 42 seconds PER SIDE.

Basically my meme build for randoms at tier 5, because no one expects that many torpedoes out of a low tier cruiser.

I can fire two, switch sides, fire two, switch sides, fire two, switch sides fire two...almost continuously. You get decent angles out of those launchers.

Is this good? Probably not in co-op...but in randoms at tier 5? Certainly some fun can be had.

• Like 7

I have these ships, and I think you've got more good 'uns than clunkers. 

Ise is good fun in Operations. She's a very serviceable BB with excellent Main Battery Range (21km at Tier VI) and the planes give her a great all-map firing capability. 

California has great AA. Unfortunately that's all she has, and doesn't even have WV's 16 inch guns. Do you like US standard BBs? If not, park this one up. 

Nottingham is fragile but has lots of punch (RN HE on 203mm guns will do plenty damage and will set fires, too). She also has a very strong torpedo armament and a smoke screen. 

Toulon is an eccentric boat - a poor MB (with WW1 guns) but oddly powerful secondaries. More fun than she seems and a good grounding for the French Super CA line.

Genova is a mad 'uns torp boat. Treat her like the biggest DD and charge - her MB loads very slowly but 203 SAP mangles enemy DDs and you can fire lots of torpedoes, as Daniel says. 

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You can get your torpedo reload down into sub 42 seconds on Genova...thats four torps every 42 seconds PER SIDE.

18 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Genova is a mad 'uns torp boat. Treat her like the biggest DD and charge - her MB loads very slowly but 203 SAP mangles enemy DDs and you can fire lots of torpedoes, as Daniel says. 

I've never tried Genova like that... now I'm interested.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Yeah, Nottingham will definitely be the winner of that lot, for Co-op. Fast cruiser with loads of torps and all-forward turrets equals YOLO boat equals high score printer. Kinda wish I had one.

I got Ise and California because they were real ships, but hate playing both of them.

Ise has a pretty anemic alpha and awful rear turret arcs, and her planes suffer if she's uptiered. Plus, 2 minutes between strikes... which means you'll rarely ever get to launch more than two, sometimes only one, and your planes won't add much to your damage (they're mainly useful in an "everything is dead on my flank and I can't reposition before the last bots are killed" situation).

California... oof. The only nice thing I can say about her is that she eats planes like popcorn when the bot carrier is kind enough to feed them to you, but that's about it. You would be very hard pressed to find a weaker T7 BB, for Co-op.

Genova... while the long main battery reload does hurt sometimes... she's got 8x203mm SAP at T5, and that's nuts. Biggest gun alpha of any T5 cruiser (and a healthy chunk of the T6 cruisers), and they're decently accurate guns, too. Genova can SAP cit several other T5 cruisers and delete most DDs, and with those fast-loading torps she can make quick work of bot BBs too... and she's fast, so she can pace green DDs and not get completely left behind. The main drawback with Genova, for Co-op (and in general) is that she's very long and that length is roughly 2/3s above-water citadel. Mind your "shoot me here" billboards and she'll do just fine.

Toulon... her guns are alternately too good or not good enough. It is all bounces or overpens with that AP, and her HE DPM is far too low to make up for all the things you can't use AP on in her MM spread. Not a great co-op boat. Could be worse, but you don't have any of the usual attributes that make a good bot basher so you're going to have to work for your score and luck out on your spawn (read that: hope you're not partnered with a DD and another, faster cruiser with better DPM and torps).

On the bright side... even if you end up hating all of them, you got them for free, and they're ships you now can't draw out of future container drops.

• Like 5

You and me both bud.

On second thought, maybe that was me...

image.png.a9374f6675f2ef9721ed2914c54bde87.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys.

Some interesting reading there especially from @Daniel_Allan_Clark tbh I probably wouldn't even have played Genova but I didn't realise the torps can reload that fast so I'm definitely gonna give it a go.

I've not played any of them yet but as they have flakes to earn I'll give them a run out - except California, I just can't play a ship that slow in coop.

Genova I'm gonna give a try in randoms (apologies to  anyone who may be on my team).

• Like 4

On 1/1/2024 at 4:16 PM, Capt_Kremenski said:

spacer.png

I get you OP. I get you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Wrath_of_Deadguy said:

California... oof. The only nice thing I can say about her is that she eats planes like popcorn when the bot carrier is kind enough to feed them to you, but that's about it. You would be very hard pressed to find a weaker T7 BB, for Co-op.

Slow ships are even worse in fast-paced matches like Co-Op, but California is even WORSE with her abysmally slow 34.2s reload at Tier VII....literally*NOTHING* is slower at that tier. Not even Florida is that slow, and she has a slow reload too. At least she gets battlecruiser dispersion and faster turret traverse though to justify such a slow reload. California gets NOTHING worthwhile to justify it. I'm sorry, but "high" AA ratings and decent ballistics simply aren't enough to justify such bad main battery performance.

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 6

I've gotten some bad [to me] ships from crates, but that's just an aweful overall list. 

• Like 1

I like the Ise.

As for the California, I prefer to sail her in a division with other players, especially @Sailor_Moon and @Volron.

I'm pretty sure I have the Genova in my Port and play her occasionally for snowflake events.
I'm not familiar enough with the Toulon to form an opinion.

• Like 3

Guy gets 5 ships and complains about it. I got 1 ship..ONE, singular ship. More boosters, port slots and commander XP than I could ever use though.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:16 PM, Capt_Kremenski said:

Ise - Jury is out on this one. I have the Nebraska which I enjoy but I don't use the planes as I'd have trouble hitting a large island never mind a moving ship (I hear you can use the planes for spotting but in coop by the time the planes are ready all ships are spotted anyway!!)

Nottingham - I'd never heard of this thing or seen one in battle, but I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl. I'm a big fan of all forward facing guns, to me this is the pick of the bunch.

Toulon - I can walk faster than this thing and while I'm at it go get a coffee while waiting for the guns to reload (28 seconds on a cruiser?? Did I read that right?).

Maybe in randoms reload speed is not the end of the world, but as we all know in coop it's essential, maybe I've been spoilt by the Mino and Colbert but most of these ships wont be leaving port.

I got the Genova free in an Amazon drop, played 70 battles and i'm at 52% winrate. I like it. The SAP melts DDs and works well on cruisers. The AP will cit red cruisers. The torps are useful but dont lead with them. The SAP is great. 
California- Sucks
Nottingham - often mentioned by CCs as one of the worse in the game. I have it but dont play it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

I'm sorry, but "high" AA ratings and decent ballistics simply aren't enough to justify such bad main battery performance.

Then, just to rub salt in the wound, along comes WV '44 at last... with improved acceleration, better energy retention in turns, a sane main battery reload (and 406mm overmatch), faster turret traverse, buffed secondaries, and DFAA, making her a better Co-op pick in pretty much every single aspect.

• Like 2

I enjoy the struggle buses, but I dont find any of these actually bad except California. In it, I usually try to babysit the queue to get a CV game. Yeah, I said that lol. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:16 PM, Capt_Kremenski said:

I am a COOP main and this xmas, with exchanged clan gifts and presents from family, I ended up with around 15 ships......  The first xmas crate opened from gifted clan presents, we exchange every year, was a ship...!  For me, I have no luck in this game gift wise since 2017 where I got 6 ships from crates my close friends gifted me (I was FTP back then...)  This year was exceptional.  Two ships from xmas Battle Pass missions.  The Dockyard ship I bought out with gift cards from family.  And, the rest were from crates !  This was the best xmas I've had in several years.....

RNG I guess......

• Like 3

On 1/1/2024 at 10:16 PM, Capt_Kremenski said:

Free pixels are free pixels. I would not complain. :classic_wink:
Nobody is going to force you into playing the ships you got for free.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, invicta2012 said:

California has great AA. Unfortunately that's all she has, and doesn't even have WV's 16 inch guns. Do you like US standard BBs? If not, park this one up. 

California has the highest sigma for us guns at t7 with spectacular HE for all occasions; the only problem for her is the position of the enemy.

• Confused 1

I had the Tier VI rental of Arizona some time ago and I hated it. So when I won the California I was thinking this is going to be similar but I do like her even though she is quite slow and I am glad it isn't an Arizona. I will be taking her out from time to time.

• Like 1

My Santa haul, barring getting lucky from the few crates I'll earn yet:

Tier V:
USS Marblehead Lima

Tier VI:
Juruá
Leipzig
Molotov

Tier VII:
Ashitaka
RN FR25
Tokachi

Tier VIII:
Numancia

A good haul numberwise for sure.  I already had USS Marblehead, so Lima version isn't much of a gain, but some coal each year.  Juruá I've not actually tried yet, but I don't recall hearing good things. Leipzig seemed decent.  Haven't tried Molotov, looks like good guns on a bad hull.  Ashitaka has great punch for Tier VII, but other than speed the rest of the ship is very questionable.  Not sure what to make of RN FR25, very long range for a DD.  I missed Tokachi when it was a battlepass reward, so am happy to have it.  I had never even heard of Numancia; seemed ok the one battle I took it out for, 203mm guns in odd arrangement, has a funny burst fire button.  I have all the Spanish premium ships now, so that is something I guess.

• Like 1

Juruá is identical to HMS Gallant except it has 2 less depth charges. Juruá was the only ship I got in a Santa crate. I do like Gallant so I kinda like Juruá although I feel like I have a duplicate ship. Juruá is british nonetheless.

• Like 1

That is a decent haul.

I got Tokachi from the battle pass - it's a decent ship.

I also have Jurua, got that from a veteran recruitment container, it's a UK destroyer (Gallant) that was transferred to the Brazilian navy so you have the ability to single fire torps. Not only does it look great I've had some good results with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

California has the highest sigma for us guns at t7 with spectacular HE for all occasions; the only problem for her is the position of the enemy.

I wish I could say I liked any of the US Tier VII BBs but they are all wrong un's in one way or another. Port queens the lot them.

20 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

As for the California, I prefer to sail her in a division with other players, especially @Sailor_Moon and @Volron.

And you remember the pain, we had more fun complaining about her performance than actually playing her LOLS 😛

• Haha 2