Piemonte vs. Napoli... what am I missing?

Kruzenstern

Looking at Piemonte, I kinda fail to see where the improvement over Napoli is?

Same guns, more of them on Piemente but better reload on Napoli, resulting in slightly higher DPM for Piemonte but I think I would prefer shooting more often with Napolis 9 guns.

Hit points are virtually the same, as is armor though the Piemontes citadel is supposedly easier to hit.

Secondaries are much better on Napoli.

Concealment is much  better on Napoli.

AA is much better on Piemonte

Piemonte is slightly faster, Napoli has a slightly better turn radius.

Both get repair and smoke, but Napoli also gets a Fighter.

So basically from how I see it, Napoli is actually better than Piemonte, while Piemonte is a tier higher.

What am I missing? Is there a gimmick I failed to read about?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, richie_macrophage said:

Piemonte gets SAP for main guns, Napoli doesn't.

Ahhh yes... I guess among all the similarities with Napoli I missed that Piemonte is actually Venezias offspring, not Napolis.

Though I am not entirely sure whether getting SAP instead of HE is enough of a benefit to justify one tier higher considering all the other things...

• Like 1

Napoli uses an uniquely bad vertical dispersion pattern that renders her main guns useless beyond ~14-km even with all available buffs applied.
1699869854723.thumb.png.4c39b9d7bb924d6b2166eca89abfba5f.png

Spoiler

Third-party database & charting tool of iwarship.net (in Chinese language). Range in Kilometres, the other axis is dispersion area (calculated from both vertical dispersion and horizontal dispersion) in square kilometres.

Black line-Napoli expected AP dispersion with ASM1, GFCS2 and Sansonetti perk; magenta line-Piemonte (with standard cruiser dispersion) expected AP (that is identical with ones from Napoli in terms of ballistics) dispersion with ASM1, GFCS2 and Sansonetti perk; green line-Napoli expected AP dispersion with ASM1, GFCS2, Sansonetti perk and Outnumbered that can further improve dispersion. This just illustrates how WG has forcefully assigned Napoli to the role of a secondaries brawler by rendering her main guns effectively useless beyond 12~14-km.

Piemonte uses SAP shells that can penetrate 67-mm plating, enough to defeat most of the well-known reinforced decks from battleships.

• Bored 1

4 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

Ahhh yes... I guess among all the similarities with Napoli I missed that Piemonte is actually Venezias offspring, not Napolis.

Though I am not entirely sure whether getting SAP instead of HE is enough of a benefit to justify one tier higher considering all the other things...

Comparing her to Napoli is missing the point. You just said it yourself; she's the progression from Venezia. Twelve main gun barrels instead of fifteen, but 10-inch guns instead of 8-inch. 

Piemonte is an upgrade over Veneiza, not sure why she's being compared with Napoli. Especially because they're different tiers and have different playstyles. If you want a tier 11 Venezia than buy the Piemonte, otherwise stick with Venezia as she's still very strong. Especially strong with the unique upgrade.

Also I forgot to add, it seems like all the new superships WG is adding are not really worthy of the "super" title. I'd advise that unless you're buying one of the original ones to just stick with the tier 10s.

I suspect that Wows will ONLY feature Tier 11 Clan battles. 😠

Now I also have the  Cruiser Piemonte and have completed Tier 11

Edited by qkarl

8 hours ago, qkarl said:

I suspect that Wows will ONLY feature Tier 11 Clan battles. 😠

Now I also have the  Cruiser Piemonte and have completed Tier 11

Maybe in the near future. 

Congratulations on that, I wouldn't buy it even for collection purposes but you do you.