making wow more immersive by replacing the home screen with a bridge

kriegerfaust

bridge-interior-at-uss-midway-BFDFBF.jpg

I want to feel like a captain the way i feel in the game not an admiral in some office in some port hundreds or thousands of miles away, so add a bridge this would not be made for every ship but maybe one for each class and nations, then more for premium, still it could be fun seel like you are inside you're ship.

bridge-interior-at-uss-midway-aircraft-c

Imagine walking around a bridge pint click adventure style, open a logbook or look at a clear screen with writing on it.   Seeing an empty mug then a stain on said logbook, a captain raincoat thrown casually over a chair.  I know it is nothing about gameplay but the more i can forget i am in a gamer the better.

5847241618_c98684c952_b.jpg

I know it would be too much to play from the bridge during battle, but it would be fun to feel more like you are part of the ship.  It would be one more thing they could sell and make the developers sweat when they have to come up with a bridge for a ship that never had one.  One because it was never started or two because it was never finished.

8c3c7b2d64f4e1b9922946809d50c958.jpg

Second it would look weird to have a crew as they would either be standing still or slowly moving around not what many would want.   Now would it look better new like the ship just came from the slip or more old like years of service with care given to maintenance.  Do we wat them to exactly model a ships bridge or a combination of features from that class and nation.

Edited by kriegerfaust
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20_combat-information-center_12-800x530.

cic_2.jpg

houston-texas-the-auxiliary-combat-infor

uss-independence-cvl-22-combat-center-74

You could add different areas like the mess hall, the gun turret, the magazine room, the hangar but that might all be a bit much.  The upside is the ships would feel like what they were small communities' town and cities that people had to live on for months and not bath toys.  Also areas like the mail or radio room could be for announcement integrating the game and web site into one for you guessed it more emersion as in a one stop shop for all things wow.

Another game I play added the ability to walk around, but it was a HUGE project and could only go so far because the code for the game hadn't been built with that in mind, even though it did feature actual environments and first person perspective.  WOWS is not a first person game, and trying to do this would be almost impossible, and hardly worth it just for the part of the game where you are essentially idle or managing your assets.  

You have many ships under your command and can transfer your flag to any of them at will.  You manage the battle but not the day-to-day aspects of the crew and ship.  You take the glory or the pain of the battle's outcome personally, not the ship you were on.  Hate to break it to you, but you -are- an Admiral in some office, looking down on the port at the ships under your command until it's time to set sail in one of them.

• Like 1

Star Trek Online has features which allow a player to view their bridge, and tour other player's bridges (by invitation).
There are some customization options, also.

That said, Star Trek Online has been programmed so that a player can control their "character" (sometimes refered to as a 'toon) and the character starts as a Captain of one ship with a crew of Bridge Officers and Duty Officers.

If one plays enough, then eventually one can acquire many ships and assign some of them to perform Admiralty Missions.
Personally, I find that aspect of the game quite nice.  Because as one progresses, the opponents become tougher and the player's ships (that one acquires early in their "career") become obsolete and underpowered.  Hence one gets a newer and stronger ship. 
But the older ships then have nothing to do, until one reaches the Admiralty ranks and can access the Admiralty missions.

Star Trek Online has more administrative & management tasks available for a player (when compared to World of Warships).
There's a wider variety of things for a player to do and explore.  https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/

That said, it's all set in the Star Trek genre, instead of the Earth during World War Two genre of World of Warships.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Star Trek Online has features which allow a player to view their bridge, and tour other player's bridges (by invitation).

That said, Star Trek Online has been programmed so that a player can control their "character" (sometimes refered to as a 'toon) and the character starts as a Captain of one ship with a crew of Bridge Officers and Duty Officers.

If one plays enough, then eventually one can acquire many ships and assign some of them to perform Admiralty Missions.
Personally, I find that aspect of the game quite nice.  Because as one progresses, the opponents become tougher and the player's ships (that one acquires early in their "career") become obsolete and underpowered.  Hence one gets a newer and stronger ship. 
But the older ships then have nothing to do, until one reaches the Admiralty ranks and can access the Admiralty missions.

Star Trek Online has more administrative & management tasks available for a player (when compared to World of Warships).
There's a wider variety of things for a player to do and explore.  https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/

That said, it's all set in the Star Trek genre, instead of the Earth during World War Two genre of World of Warships.

It's probably also fair to say that Star Trek Online is much more realistic than WoWS.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It's probably also fair to say that Star Trek Online is much more realistic than WoWS.

Star Trek Online is mostly consistent with Star Trek story from television series and movies (and some books?).
But there's plenty of sci-fi stuff or "space magic" in-game, too.  

So, I consider STO to be at least as much of an "arcade game" as World of Warships is, and perhaps more so.

But, as for the administrative management aspects?  Yes. 
I think STO is closer to the daily processes of running ship & crew and managing a fleet than WOWs is.

Edited to tag @Sailor_Moon, who, when she's not wielding her jewelled magic scepter in the righteous cause of buffing the California in the Name of the Moon, has been known to play Star Trek Online.  And she may be able to offer her perspective and make comparisons.  🙂 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

sto is a pure pve mmorpg, with a lot of singleplayer vibes. wows is a 3rd person arcade shooter/actiongame, pvp centric with a clear team focus (that many players don't seem to get. seperate discussion). they want u to sail ur ships into randoms to keep population for mm up, simple. everything not catering that concept is an obstacle in achieving that goal. opening spaces for players to not sail into a match while spending time ingame, i don't think it's within their interest... it's ok for them on occassions, as some minigames f.e., but i really don't think they'd go in such direction on a wider scale.

given that, nice ideas. as 4 me, i can see how the admirality system could be a nice addition. on the other, i really wanna emphasize how much i not want anything from the "true pvp killer" sto in here. yep, maybe slightly biased by conditioning lol... and if anything, 1st, only and foremost, i'd take their label for clans and finally would call em FLEETS in wows, but that's about it...

/

for sure in general i'd never, ever take sto as an example of a "good designed/programmed game". it's totally fubar on that end tbh, played a lot between 2010 and '16 when it all went down. there's some positive aspects to it, sure, but overall these get buried by at least the weight and influence of a big fat gecko and the most toxic and enclosed pve community i ever could imagine! which is kinda funny, as one would expect trekkies to be tolerant rofl. they're not over there lol, not a slight bit! (*anyone who wanna check on that: go to their forum and post "pvp". in whatever positive connoted context. or even without lol...)

in sto endgame is called space-barbie. with reason.

/r *sigh

Edited by MrWastee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

sto is a pure pve mmorpg, with a lot of singleplayer vibes. wows is a 3rd person arcade shooter/actiongame, pvp centric with a clear team focus (that many players don't seem to get. seperate discussion). they want u to sail ur ships into randoms to keep population for mm up, simple. everything not catering that concept is an obstacle in achieving that goal. opening spaces for players to not sail into a match while spending time ingame, i don't think it's within their interest... it's ok for them on occassions, as some minigames f.e., but i really don't think they'd go in such direction on a wider scale.

given that, nice ideas. as 4 me, i can see how the admirality system could be a nice addition. on the other, i really wanna emphasize how much i not want anything from the "true pvp killer" sto in here. yep, maybe slightly biased by conditioning lol... and if anything, 1st, only and foremost, i'd take their label for clans and finally would call em FLEETS in wows, but that's about it...

/

for sure in general i'd never, ever take sto as an example of a "good designed/programmed game". it's totally fubar on that end tbh, played a lot between 2010 and '16 when it all went down. there's some positive aspects to it, sure, but overall these get buried by at least the weight and influence of a big fat gecko and the most toxic and enclosed pve community i ever could imagine! which is kinda funny, as one would expect trekkies to be tolerant rofl. they're not over there lol, not a slight bit! (*anyone who wanna check on that: go to their forum and post "pvp". in whatever positive connoted context. or even without lol...)

/r *sigh

Yeah, PvP in STO is....problematic at best. I do space PVP, but even I have taken a break with that, it's just SO broken and I have so much work to do just to make my ships PvP-viable...There's only certain ships that really work as PvP-centric platforms.

It's actually more work than making Tier VII California's secondaries viable in Randoms, I'll put it that way.

But yes, I'm all about that Space Barbie. Aesthetics matter to me! ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Interesting choice of words for a game with spacecrafts going warp speed, manned by alien species and armed with phasers and photon torpedoes 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Yeah, PvP in STO is....problematic at best. I do space PVP, but even I have taken a break with that, it's just SO broken and I have so much work to do just to make my ships PvP-viable...There's only certain ships that really work as PvP-centric platforms.

It's actually more work than making Tier VII California's secondaries viable in Randoms, I'll put it that way.

But yes, I'm all about that Space Barbie. Aesthetics matter to me! ❤️ 

Do we even tell the people here about how bad power creep has gotten there?  Since it's a story-based MMO, it has...different standards as to what qualifies as 'unfair'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Interesting choice of words for a game with spacecrafts going warp speed, manned by alien species and armed with phasers and photon torpedoes

Photon torpedoes?  Coming soon 🤣 perhaps???

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

It's amazing what one can find on youtube....

Barbie & The Rockers - Adventures in Outerspace

We Are Shooting Stars | Star Light Adventure | @Barbie

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Star Trek Online is mostly consistent with Star Trek story from television series and movies (and some books?).
But there's plenty of sci-fi stuff or "space magic" in-game, too.  

So, I consider STO to be at least as much of an "arcade game" as World of Warships is, and perhaps more so.

But, as for the administrative management aspects?  Yes. 
I think STO is closer to the daily processes of running ship & crew and managing a fleet than WOWs is.

Edited to tag @Sailor_Moon, who, when she's not wielding her jewelled magic scepter in the righteous cause of buffing the California in the Name of the Moon, has been known to play Star Trek Online.  And she may be able to offer her perspective and make comparisons.  🙂 

Comparing STO and WoWs is like comparing apples to oranges. They're not very comparable, really, they're very different games. As much as I tell Wargaming to improve the balance of ships in WoWs, and I certainly mean that, WoWs inherently is a more balanced game than STO will ever be, especially when it comes to PvP. Powercreep is VERY real in STO. And the quest to do more damage (DPS chasing)seems to be the source of all that powercreep. And then there's the gimmick consoles (so many), and the broken traits, and the ridiculous builds (Exitus and complete shutdown builds comes to mind) that are simply NOT balanced against players. They're not even balanced against PvE content, really...but at least PvE content has enemy ships that are basically huge damage sponges (especially on Elite difficulty), which lets you go all-in on that DPS/damage. But this stuff isn't scaled down or balanced at all for PVP.

I would say that STO is all about fun factor, less balance. Which kinda works for the PvE-centric design. Think of it like...WoWs Halloween mode but on a permanent basis. Crazy damage numbers and high-HP boss units and whatnot.

WoWs, on the other hand, is the opposite. It's all about balance according to the spreadsheet, but less fun as a result of that balance method. Wargaming needs to keep fun factor in mind when balancing/designing the ships, but without destroying balance entirely like STO has.

Not easy, but that's what they have to do to make WoWs better. Fun factor AND balance are important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Do we even tell the people here about how bad power creep has gotten there?  Since it's a story-based MMO, it has...different standards as to what qualifies as 'unfair'.

I just addressed it a bit, actually, in my post a minute ago 😅

TL;DR STO is FUN, but not balanced. I compared it to WoWs Halloween mode, but even that is more balanced than STO content really...the biggest problem is that basically none of the gear (weapons/consoles/traits) is scaled down against players. That's what really breaks STO PvP I think.

6 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Photon torpedoes?  Coming soon 🤣 perhaps???

inb4 Star Trek x WoWs collab. With Picard commander!

220px-Patrick_Steward_as_Jean-Luc_Picard

• Like 2

I was thinking more of point and click adventure style old school, you see and arrow to the right left and center to move around the bridge, this would act as a menu to see different options like campaign tasks, daily and weekly tasks, ships you unlocked and yet to be, research and so forth without being hit by menus.   i Also love STO if only they could unshackle the space combat from the ground missions, ground combat feels like well old school rpg.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kriegerfaust said:

i Also love STO if only they could unshackle the space combat from the ground missions, ground combat feels like well old school rpg.

Well, it -is- an old school RPG.  It's eleven years old and still going, and it got alot of things right other MMOs didn't.

Still, as said, it's not a PVP game.  Different requirements for different goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

No, no, no....I would definitely NOT say this XD

Unless you mean "STO is more realistic to its universe and lore than WoWs is historically inclined". Then maybe sure 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

I was thinking more of point and click adventure style old school, you see and arrow to the right left and center to move around the bridge, this would act as a menu to see different options like campaign tasks, daily and weekly tasks, ships you unlocked and yet to be, research and so forth without being hit by menus.   i Also love STO if only they could unshackle the space combat from the ground missions, ground combat feels like well old school rpg.

Yeah, now that we're nearly ready to start a second page of this topic, we get to the essence of what you're looking for.  😄 

Since you do love (and play?) STO, then you are probably aware that the starship bridge can be accessed for various STO in-game stuff and to assign Duty Officer missions to the Chef and Bartender and some others, along with accessing one's inventory and performing computer file analysis and other tasks.

I mostly play PVE stuff in STO, and only occasionally join task-force-operations.  I can't remember ever doing PVP battles, actually.
That said, I enjoy pursuing my own interests at my own pace while playing STO.

19 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Unless you mean "STO is more realistic to its universe and lore than WoWs is historically inclined". Then maybe sure 😛

It does help when you firmly establish from the start that lore and history are flexible subjects.

"I hate temporal mechanics." - Chief O'Brian speaking to Chief O'Brian.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

It does help when you firmly establish from the start that lore and history are flexible subjects.

"I hate temporal mechanics." - Chief O'Brian speaking to Chief O'Brian.

Yeah.  Personally, I get a bit annoyed when Star Trek writers (especially the amateur fan-film writers) use time-travel too much as a plot framework.
I mean, "Really?!!?  Why don't you just write an episode of Doctor Who instead, eh?!?"  🙂 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

I also don't like new trek i watched a couple episode of Discovery and thought um no, Does no one understand that like seaquest the point of trek is an optimistic look at the future, well at least since after TOS starting with TNG working through DS9 and Voyager and the TNG movies, sigh Picard, Discovery and the Abram movies just don't feel like trek,  I may be crazy but Orvile feels like the best current trek, i have heard good things about strange worlds, and well lower decks is just playing in the kiddie pool by itself.

Don't get me started on the current doctor who, really the first doctor was a woman and not a time lord, 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Bingo!

• Like 1