Why isn't WG uniting the servers of EU and NA?!

OT2_2

Perhaps this has come up before, but at least I haven't seen any discussion about this topic. A unification of EU and NA server would benefit both players and the company IMHO. More players around the clock especially for the suffering P v P modes, and that combined with less queue, less frustration (perhaps) and consequently more attractive matches. Simplified and therefore more cost - effective administration would / could be a benefit and positive side effect for WG. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

do i need to say more why that is a bad idea

Too big and different time zones I suppose?! In the first instance I was thinking about the minor cultural differences between Europe and the USA, Canada and the opportunities arising from this. 

I'd think the ping would be the biggest obstruction here. Sure you'd have more people around to keep certain modes open... but I wouldn't be especially happy about match quality if I'm suddenly thrown into an oversea server where I'm under 300+ ping instead of sub 100ish and am thus more prone to being dev struck or missing a chance to citadel somebody. Some ships like destroyers would be considerably more annoying to control under high ping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is why:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping login1.worldofwarships.eu

Pinging login1.worldofwarships.eu [92.223.21.29] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 92.223.21.29: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=44

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kynami said:

I'd think the ping would be the biggest obstruction here

Thank you for provided information. I did'nt think and know about this. 

15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This is why:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping login1.worldofwarships.eu

Pinging login1.worldofwarships.eu [92.223.21.29] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 92.223.21.29: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=44

That ping is about the same if you try to play on any other region server. It's playable, still, in the sense you don't notice that ping in terms of stuttering. What I can't say is how much it will affect your aiming.

I would also add server power (age of servers) as for another reason to the discussion. I don't think the present servers could handled full 12 member teams. I predict in the future they may change to 9 players for the MM or maybe 5 for teams with all the junk (mines, smoke, etc.) being thrown into the game. I don't think there is enough computing power for WoWS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That ping is about the same if you try to play on any other region server. It's playable, still, in the sense you don't notice that ping in terms of stuttering. What I can't say is how much it will affect your aiming.

Some of the better CV players have said that they don't play outside of their local region because of the aiming and flak-dodging lag that latency generates. My sister lives in an area of the US where they can only get satellite internet. She can only play turn-based games due to the latency.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

Perhaps this has come up before, but at least I haven't seen any discussion about this topic. A unification of EU and NA server would benefit both players and the company IMHO. More players around the clock especially for the suffering P v P modes, and that combined with less queue, less frustration (perhaps) and consequently more attractive matches. Simplified and therefore more cost - effective administration would / could be a benefit and positive side effect for WG. 

As several others have mentioned, the ping/lag phenomena would be unacceptable for a large portion of the players.

I already notice issues if my ping/lag values get above 50ms and I'm playing a CV.  
If I'm having poor internet service that day, or if my Wife is watching television via streaming-services, then the ping/lag spikes can be more frequent and of greater severity, which can send their values into the 300ms to 1000+ms range.

Increasing the physical distance of the server from my home would increase the latency and adversely affect my game experience.
Game providers are aware of this.  Thus, they provide servers in multiple regions to minimize the problems.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

I would also add server power (age of servers) as for another reason to the discussion. I don't think the present servers could handled full 12 member teams. I predict in the future they may change to 9 players for the MM or maybe 5 for teams with all the junk (mines, smoke, etc.) being thrown into the game. I don't think there is enough computing power for WoWS.

I'm curious about how much of that is a server hardware issue and how much is an internet bandwidth or latency issue?
More objects to calculate the positions of, creates more packets of data to send back & forth, and thus a crowded internet pipeline?

7 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

Why>>?  Because if one country decides to enforce laws that requires game changes, it isolates the loss of revenue from those changes.  And, changes are coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Some of the better CV players have said that they don't play outside of their local region because of the aiming and flak-dodging lag that latency generates. My sister lives in an area of the US where they can only get satellite internet. She can only play turn-based games due to the latency.

I seem to recall that there are issues with CV targeting to begin with, meaning any lag will probably compound on those issues.

8 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I seem to recall that there are issues with CV targeting to begin with, meaning any lag will probably compound on those issues.

Even a brief spike in the lag can cause a CV player to see their flying squadron suddenly stop and perform impossibly high-G circles while they wait for the player's game and the server to "catch-up" with each other and resume normal communications or perhaps get disconnected as a result of the lag.

• Like 2

TBH while timezones and ping prob play a role to a degree I suspect the main reason is the need for WOWS NA and dedicated server due to consumer laws and monetisation

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm curious about how much of that is a server hardware issue and how much is an internet bandwidth or latency issue?
More objects to calculate the positions of, creates more packets of data to send back & forth, and thus a crowded internet pipeline?

Now that is a discussion that is needed on what you are talking about. I find that if you have 134 FPS and 30ms ping, this is normal. There are things that lead me that work needs to be done with the WoWS infrastructure. For my example, a WoWS ship that I can see moving between two islands is not spotted until two thirds of the enemy ship is behind the second island. However, this brings up the question is it software optimization or hardware replacement that is needed. If the WoWS servers are 8 to 10 years old, then yank them with replacements. If they are not, then the problem is in the WoWS software. Optimization is then needed. We will not know this information unless WG publishes the information. 

• Like 2

I reside on Vancouver Island (NA) & I play on EU server & see little or no ping problem or lag. I expect ping is from those who are using suboptimal internet services and/or suboptimal computers. Nor is the time differences between global areas any kind of problem - just wake up & play at the optimum times. Incredible what people whine about regarding some non-issues/subjects.

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Even a brief spike in the lag can cause a CV player to see their flying squadron suddenly stop

& this is a 'problem'? The peanut gallery here is so concerned about a griefer class (the reworked CVs) that the Squirrels here are all ROFL.

• Haha 1
  • Bored 3

3 hours ago, Aethervox said:

I expect ping is from those who are using suboptimal internet services and/or suboptimal computers.

Unfortunately, this is often outside many players’ control, as has been pointed out already in this thread.

3 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Nor is the time differences between global areas any kind of problem - just wake up & play at the optimum times.

As is this. I would hazard a guess that most of the WoWs playerbase living outside of Europe isn’t unemployed or retired and would have a very difficult time syncing their play to prime time EU hours.

It’s incredible how some people are unable to see beyond their own circumstances and perspectives.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1
  • Bored 1

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s incredible how some people are unable to see beyond their own circumstances and perspectives.

2 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Incredible what people whine about regarding some non-issues/subjects.

• Haha 1
  • Bored 1