Commonwealth Tech Tree Cruiser Line On The Way!!!!

AdmiralThunder

The much asked for and desired Commonwealth Cruiser line is on the way folks.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/499

The new Commonwealth cruiser branch features ships from Australia, India, New Zealand, and Canada. At low and mid tiers these ships will be light cruisers armed with 152mm guns, and beginning at Tier VIII they will receive a heavier armament of 203mm guns. Their main battery will be capable of dishing out a good amount of damage per minute, but in return will have somewhat poor shell ballistics and slow turret traverse. Starting from Tier III, they will additionally be armed with torpedoes. At Tier VII these torpedoes become long-ranged and may even be launched from stealth due to the excellent concealment of these ships. For captains interested in hunting submarines, from Tier V onwards the ASW airstrikes of these ships will have improved features: longer range, additional charges, and an increased splash radius for incapacitating modules. However, they will deal somewhat less damage in return. The improved features of this line will be balanced out by generally weak armor, low HP pools, and weak AA defense.

As is standard for most cruisers, the line will feature Hydroacoustic Search, available in its own slot at Tier IV and sharing a slot with Defensive AA Fire at later tiers. Starting at Tier V, the signature Commonwealth Crawling Smoke Generator will also be available in its own slot, with its long action time allowing slow movement while remaining concealed. Starting at Tier VIII, the ships will be equipped with a Repair Party of standard characteristics.

In battle, these characteristics will come together in a mid to close-range playstyle. The Crawling Smoke Generator coupled with their excellent concealment will allow these ships to take aggressive positions and make best use of their good damage per minute, while also being able to conduct successful retreats when in danger. Captains will want to avoid exchanging fire in open waters however, due to overall low survivability; in these cases, the long-range torpedoes may be employed while repositioning.

1IMbie6YJEotVKkBXI8xtVQu0csn97n5EA4NaM87

D9QHDvH7W5Oww02d1wIF3VEWBfgEv5eyB07z5XrZ

ILjnKh6iiwuerIAKmtF9iAlNsB9cMLCLWpGN2aYH

US7V3vJLEnuCfcPajWHTv83VGaqP2VhuTQzQdUOa

Commonwealth cruiser Delhi, Tier V - no pic

cyKhe3hDOavNZCpwwhy5Eg7B59rXKa1qQuX3Gqe0

Commonwealth cruiser Uganda, Tier VII - no pic

grxWzAqCpUXXsch8aFkucwitliuIDwoX3w6oYfD1

SMME1JJmGqtSHAA04ZHycQ4jOPkMZpWin8hrHE9u

XQtvjF80b9DsPAp6jn2uJDqMxTv3npCkwCUXkHOE

salute.jpg.070269b8e9e537aca9bce7213eacb524.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Nice, then we get use to all the captains on our premiums (10 p) and the 19p from the Brisbane event (I grabbed the female pirate captain).

• Like 1

Not only finally, but also they didn't screw it up by making it weird. They kept the HMAS Perth gimmick, which is awesome.

Now here's to hoping we can get the line without it being butchered in testing.

PS: Delhi was in design hell for years now. It was a premium Leander announced with Mysore.

Hmmm... nice batch of interesting ships (tho not enough to reel me in...)

The Commonwealth Cruisers look very reliant on their smoke... I don't like they appear to be CV fodder, quite sad situation for a CL. 

To be honest I'm very, very surprised that WG didn't introduce a line full of copy paste ships considering their current state. At least T9 and T10 is using new models, even having only two of them (three if take the new German cruiser into consideration) can make me much less worried about their development abilities.

Is the new T10 Cerberus a historical paper ship, or made by WG?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Hmmm... nice batch of interesting ships (tho not enough to reel me in...)

The Commonwealth Cruisers look very reliant on their smoke... I don't like they appear to be CV fodder, quite sad situation for a CL. 

As a frequent Perth player, the CV is not the issue, the ships should be maneuverable enough.

It's the random ass broadsides that hurt the ship. If the Perth is an indicator, the line will be ok vs CVs.

1 minute ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Everything T8 and up is made up. Uganda is the last ship that really served (Ceylon subclass of the Fiji's).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Chances are there's a plan in the Royal Navy files for it. After the mid 1930s the British dabbled a lot in 8 inch cruiser designs that never got built, some of which were offered to other navies and others were considered for RN use but never had the money or resources to build. 

I was reading through this dev blog thinking “this all looks reasonable, where are the crazy gimmicks?”

And then I got to the end…

6 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Everything T8 and up is made up. Uganda is the last ship that really served (Ceylon subclass of the Fiji's).

Yeah, above Tier 7 there's really nowhere to go in the Commonwealth navies if you want to stay in steel.  

I do hope we get HMCS Ontario as a premium at some stage. I'm quite surprised she wasn't the T7. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

As a frequent Perth player, the CV is not the issue, the ships should be maneuverable enough.

It's the random ass broadsides that hurt the ship. If the Perth is an indicator, the line will be ok vs CVs.

T6 environment is very different from high tiers, the air threat is more manageable as it is easier to isolate the air threat from the surface threat (shorter gun ranges). Having to suffer a second or even third air strike at high tiers in a death warrant. 

Honestly I don't like the line concept for a "modern" meta (Sub+CV), this line will struggle a lot to overcome an environment loaded with Subs and CVs. Consider Subs nullify your smoke at 7km, you have useless AA values and the hulls are 25mm and somewhat fat & clumsy (at least by numbers). Up to the Fiji clone they look OK-ish but at T8+ I don't see them being particularly strong nor particularly useful for the team.  

Edit:

I mean, they bring no team utily beyond a questionable long range ASW Airstrike. They are only useful for farming and even there they not only require third party spotting but their gimmick can be nullified with relative ease... Not a particular fan of the design tbh. 

Edited by ArIskandir

4 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I was reading through this dev blog thinking “this all looks reasonable, where are the crazy gimmicks?”

And then I got to the end…

I don't see anything drastic.  What are you referring to at the end?

1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

I don't see anything drastic.  What are you referring to at the end?

Spanish battleship Victoria, Tier IX

WG is doing more crazy things with funny buttons.

1 minute ago, Nevermore135 said:

Ah.  This thread is just about Commonwealth cruisers so that is all I was looking at.

5 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Ah.  This thread is just about Commonwealth cruisers so that is all I was looking at.

The Commonweath cruiser line is a pretty safe path forward, and about what I’d expect.  A German Atlanta isn’t too much of a divergence from already existing archetypes either. Also lots of asset recycling, but that’s to be expected given recent trends.

That Spanish (Italian) battleship snuck up on me. I feel like I was pulled into a false sense of security. :classic_laugh: 

Edited by Nevermore135

5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

At least this gimmick is not as silly as others and imo more reasonable, different munition types is easier to digest than magical homing, magical planes, magical reload... 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kalishnikat said:

Weisbaden is Tier 1 Hermelin with 4 extra turrets. Even looks like Hermelin.

but with twelve 9.5km 65 kts torpedoes 🤩

34 minutes ago, Kalishnikat said:

Weisbaden is Tier 1 Hermelin with 4 extra turrets. Even looks like Hermelin.

"Here, Hermelin, let me inject you with this super serum and I'll give you these anabolic steroids to take as well. You may feel a few... changes over the next few days."

image.png.9e7c173978b6ff527acf34eee9829894.png  image.png.dc891e0a2e0698221b11ab192dbc279d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The line looks interesting, although I wonder what Kiwis will say when they see that they have a reskinned Albemarle, probably "Au f*ck an Albemarle without a superheal."

Wisebaden is what happens when Flint and Mainz get kinky. For randoms, this+Lutjens looks like something nasty to push into, for co-op, 12 torps every minute, nuff said, and for ops, likely zero AP pen won't be enough to take down Mainz, but the sheer DPM (446k AP, that's actually 20k worse than Mainz, but 90k better than Cleveland, albeit neither of these have a smoke) may be worth looking into. (HE wise, 194k, think Irian/Kutuzov/Chappy with worse ballistics but 32mm base pen. Still behind Bayard, Mainz, Harbin, and Cleveland though.)

And can Spain have one normal ship for once? Canarias has low damage 203 AP with Leander flavored fuses, Bazan and the tech tree cruisers have a funny button, Numancia has a worse funny button. Now Victoria has high damage mortars or low damage piss missiles on a Roma hull (it has Standard dispersion, instead of Italian though.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

And can Spain have one normal ship for once? Canarias has low damage 203 AP with Leander flavored fuses, Bazan and the tech tree cruisers have a funny button, Numancia has a worse funny button. Now Victoria has high damage mortars or low damage piss missiles on a Roma hull (it has Standard dispersion, instead of Italian though.)

Remember that Canarias was originally tested with the burst-fire funny button. Weird firing modes seems to be the Spanish “flavor.”

Edited by Nevermore135

38 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Does it not smell a little Dockyard over Victoria? 

Yep - shajt reload, shajt caliber for tier with shajt number of barrels and dumb gimmick that makes no sence whatsoever, reeks of a typical DY ship all right

• Like 1