Strange sound issue..

Col_NASTY

I've posted about this before, even put in a ticket . Nothing so far so I thought I would try here.

The sound I get when I destroy a ship changed a few patches back.  I thought maybe it was Game wide but every time I watch a Stream they still have the OLD sound.

The Kill sound used to come in two parts.. A symbol crash part closely followed by a DONG!! Bass part. Now I just get the Bass part.

Just saw again Both parts play on a NA  stream.

Is it just me?

I have uninstalled all mods over and over , I have sound settings set to Cinematic ( as always since I got here ) 

Run WG check a dozen times.

It's not a huge deal but it's a bit bothersome that something isn't working properly here.

8 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Run Gamecheck.exe too

Is that not the same as the WG check that makes the report? Where is that one?

@Col_NASTY

AdditionalSoftware.png.fedd43e3226c538a5a7ca2363a12730a.png "Check and Repair" I assume, is the same that Admiral_Karasu is referring to.

Check for additional software (highlighted).  Both are in the WG client.

The sound has and was when they first did the update a few patches back, rather odd to me also.  I had to play with the sound settings to get them to my liking.  I'll see what I have when I log in here again and see exactly what my settings are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

@Col_NASTY

AdditionalSoftware.png.fedd43e3226c538a5a7ca2363a12730a.png "Check and Repair" I assume, is the same that Admiral_Karasu is referring to.

Check for additional software (highlighted).  Both are in the WG client.

The sound has and was when they first did the update a few patches back, rather odd to me also.  I had to play with the sound settings to get them to my liking.  I'll see what I have when I log in here again and see exactly what my settings are.

Yes Check and repair takes you to the WG Check APP so they are the same.

Interesting that mine does not have the option of Check for additional software.

I wonder why?

Q3WT354uq465uj.png.b1da07778695530fe191dc10b95fe697.png

11 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

Is that not the same as the WG check that makes the report? Where is that one?

Now that's an interesting question... I don't think I mean WGCheck, on my old rig I had a Gamecheck Folder under WoWS.... which I no longer seem to have.

Curious, I'm now wondering if it was added by the Modstation, as I wasn't using any mods from any other source.

@Admiral_KarasuIf you run "check and repair," in the client, you should see a WGCheck folder appear. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if you never ran it you may not have that folder.  Check and repair I think, creates it.  

@Col_NASTY The reason my client probably looks different is that I did a clean install (found out later I really did not have to) and needed to click on "Install additional app instance".  My screenshot would indicate that I did that, hence why mine looks different.  I'm running Windows 11, and if I recall correctly, the Install additional app instance in the client added an older/updated version of Microsoft Visual C++.  At least from what I can recall.

27 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

@Admiral_KarasuIf you run "check and repair," in the client, you should see a WGCheck folder appear. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if you never ran it you may not have that folder.  Check and repair I think, creates it.  

@Col_NASTY The reason my client probably looks different is that I did a clean install (found out later I really did not have to) and needed to click on "Install additional app instance".  My screenshot would indicate that I did that, hence why mine looks different.  I'm running Windows 11, and if I recall correctly, the Install additional app instance in the client added an older/updated version of Microsoft Visual C++.  At least from what I can recall.

I have WGCheck. What I'm wondering now is why I don't have Gamecheck.

Yes, the 'install additional crap' option is there because that needs to be up to date as far as I understand. It's a good idea to regularly do that, especially if some things start feeling a bit off. Or especially if you start experiencing more serious technical issues.

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I have WGCheck. What I'm wondering now is why I don't have Gamecheck.

Gamecheck I believe is the same thing, but offered to those who use Steam as a client.  

8 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Gamecheck I believe is the same thing, but offered to those who use Steam as a client.  

I've seen it referenced as a Steam feature. The problem is that I had it, and I don't have the Steam version.

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I've seen it referenced as a Steam feature. The problem is that I had it, and I don't have the Steam version.

Well, I'm at a dead end on this one 🤔.

• Like 1

I may help here.  In the last settings "adjustments" they've moved some sound elements to different volume groups. For example after that the horn ( don't laugh its important 🙂 ) was moved to the surroundings group. I had to raise the volume a LOT and still didn't get it to have the same volume as before Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67.

So I would suggest get into a training room, shoot/torp da bots and play with the settings to see what happens. Genius move, as kinda always, from Wedgie's part Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

I may help here.  In the last settings "adjustments" they've moved some sound elements to different volume groups. For example after that the horn ( don't laugh its important 🙂 ) was moved to the surroundings group. I had to raise the volume a LOT and still didn't get it to have the same volume as before Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67.

So I would suggest get into a training room, shoot/torp da bots and play with the settings to see what happens. Genius move, as kinda always, from Wedgie's part Smile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67

But of course, why not break what what needed no fixing.

• Like 1

The 'symbol crash' noise from earning a 'destroyed' ribbon was replaced by a generic 'hit' noise several patches ago. The second noise indicating class of ship remained unchanged, which is why you still hear the 'second part'. This has the unfortunate side effect of making the destruction of auxiliary ships in Ops sound less rewarding, as they only had the first sound originally to begin with. As far as I know, there is nothing to fix. If you're still hearing the legacy sound in some game play footage, that is most likely a mod.

I noticed in the PTS first, and then on my client when the changes went live. Several different users who stream or post videos of game play reflected the change as well. I think the change was made to allow the sound revamp to have more emphasis, as they want you to hear the dynamic explosion of the ship in the distance, rather than the 'ribbon award' noise.

I really do like the sound design in the game, but that particular change really bugs me. I wish they would give the kill ribbon its 'oomph' back, but as things are, I doubt it's high on the priority list.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

the 'symbol crash' noise from earning a 'destroyed' ribbon was replaced by a generic 'hit' noise several patches ago.

I was watching @Lord_Zath live streams as well as others and I heard it . That's why I asked.