Asymmetric Battles

Efros

I've come to the conclusion that AB are more COOP than the COOP mode. For a successful game you do need to take note of where your teammates are and what they're doing, also the traditional COOP yolo will get you dead... quick. So it is a COOP mode that actually requires some Co-Operative behaviour... there's a novelty!

I haven't been playing them exclusively and TBH I've really only opened them up to start a day or to finish a day off quickly as a few red or blue bonuses pile on the XPs quite nicely. Example from a fair to middling game from  today.

f6fa19c8d6cbe36f46e241365e9c9ea4.png

df573ca068e9ab09822a4865814e6f2f.png

• Like 3

And, it seems there are two versions of ASB's:  the Traditional ASB and the Nasty ASB...

It's like night and day....  The Traditional plays a lot like COOP but in a much larger sense.  Cooperating really helps win.

Nasty ASB is it's evil twin - and, our division hasn't figured out what causes it>?  Nasty is all the word means:  play as a team or simply die alone.

We're taking notes and discussing "triggers" but so far, there is no rhyme nor reason they show up.  There is one small detail:  I haven't seen a Nasty one during the prime time NA hours.  Only in the evenings.

2 hours ago, Beleaf said:

Still the same as last time - Enjoyable for BBs but an uphill battle for everyone else.

Pretty much that, BBs are the most fun in this mode and that's totally fine and only fair since they suffer so hard in Coop. DDs can be fun too, but cruisers outside of a few exceptions, have a difficult time in this mode.

• Like 1

I’ve been having a lot of fun with my Benson in AB but almost every game has come with some good cooperation from teammates, especially BB’s helping to keep bot cruisers away from me as I make torp runs.  Guess I’ve been lucky. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've found ASB's to fine in most classes. I have even seen subs do well in them. Play ships in their traditional roles and you should do fine.

Non-smoke cruisers, play at range and don't yolo. Smoke cruisers can be fun as you can move in a bit,  smoke up, cause a heap of damage (you won't get blind fired upon but be aware of radar) before retreating and then play at range - don't forget to use islands. 

DD's, especially gunboats do well. They can smoke up and use their smoke to great advantage. Carefully placed torps can cause a lot of damage. Torp boats can spot the ships early then use use their torps to get to bots to turn broadside or just cause damage. Subs play like DD's

BB's need to be careful not to get in crossfires as they can be sunk very quickly. It can be very easy to find 6 or 7 ships shooting at you.

CV's are great (ATM) for spotting ships and killing low health ones that are out of sight of the other ships.

ASB's need to be played to a strategy or you'll lose. Their are two basic ones that I have found work.

For domination battles, go up the flanks - never the centre - until you make contact then kite and clear that flank. Make sure to take the cap when clear. Once the cap is taken, pincer in on the bots and it should be easy from there. For the ship that spawns in the centre, pick what looks like the weaker flank and help that.

For standard battles, wait on the flanks equal with the top of the friendly base or a bit further. Don't go chasing early, the bot's will beeline for the cap. Once the bots are caught in a crossfire, they'll die quickly and then you can go hunting for the stragglers.

ASB's are a really fun battle type that takes some skill, some strategy and some map awareness. Played well, they are hard to lose, but take your eye off the ball for too long and lose you will. 

• Like 2

My personal experience while playing Submarines in Asymmetric Battles has given me the impression that the 'Bots aren't fully utilizing their anti-submarine-warfare capabilities.
Failure to use Hydro-acoustic-search.  Failure to launch Depthcharge Airstrikes.

They "swarm" well-enough a fair amount of time, and can overwhelm a lone submarine which is defending a green-team's "Base" through sheer numbers and by chasing the submarine to exhaust its dive-capacity.  
But, with help from team-mates and some competent kiting, the 'Bot team can be whittled-down and sunk over a period of time.

Perhaps WG/WOWs is simply evaluating the changes (compared with the previous version of Asymmetric Battles and the current A.I. programming) to see what the spreadsheet performance data indicates is working as intended and what may need additional tweaking?  

• Like 2

I actually dread seeing subs and CV's in Asymm. Good players in those roles can make the ships work as well as any other, but Asymm seems to be where people are grinding ships. I've had many an asymm where the CV has not been useful, and the sub has died in the first 4 minutes. 5 v 12 is a decent fight with the "smartbots" and random team mates. 3 v 12 is *very* challenging, especially if you are in a cruiser, DD or a non-brawling BB, even if all 3 are in div and have active communication.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

My personal experience while playing Submarines in Asymmetric Battles has given me the impression that the 'Bots aren't fully utilizing their anti-submarine-warfare capabilities.
Failure to use Hydro-acoustic-search.  Failure to launch Depthcharge Airstrikes.

They "swarm" well-enough a fair amount of time, and can overwhelm a lone submarine which is defending a green-team's "Base" through sheer numbers and by chasing the submarine to exhaust its dive-capacity.  
But, with help from team-mates and some competent kiting, the 'Bot team can be whittled-down and sunk over a period of time.

Perhaps WG/WOWs is simply evaluating the changes (compared with the previous version of Asymmetric Battles and the current A.I. programming) to see what the spreadsheet performance data indicates is working as intended and what may need additional tweaking?  

What I've seen with subs, observation only as i have not played them, is the bots don't seem to actively try to mitigate homing torps. So, basically, if I'm right, it's a free hit for submarines each time. That's pretty powerful. 

4 hours ago, SureBridge said:

I actually dread seeing subs and CV's in Asymm. Good players in those roles can make the ships work as well as any other, but Asymm seems to be where people are grinding ships. I've had many an asymm where the CV has not been useful, and the sub has died in the first 4 minutes. 5 v 12 is a decent fight with the "smartbots" and random team mates. 3 v 12 is *very* challenging, especially if you are in a cruiser, DD or a non-brawling BB, even if all 3 are in div and have active communication.

As I mentioned, subs I don't have a problem with in ASB's - I deplore them in randoms - as they seem effective. I think the issue you're seeing with subs is maybe the caliber of the player. The ones I have seen have done quite well. Not always, but quite often.

I agree with CV's. They're a bit of a fish out of water in ASB's where it's important to strike hard and fast. Good for spotting though.

On the point of non-brawling BB's, try the Monty, Kremlin, JB or Alsace. I also played Warspite to pretty good effect in a couple of games - that poor full health Phoenix. I haven't tried it but, the NC might do well as she tanks well from the front - just forget your rear three guns exist.

3 hours ago, blindfaith1 said:

What I've seen with subs, observation only as i have not played them, is the bots don't seem to actively try to mitigate homing torps. So, basically, if I'm right, it's a free hit for submarines each time. That's pretty powerful. 

Powerful, for now.
I imagine that WG/WOWs will tighten-up this metaphorical loophole (in the next patch/update or two from now) so that the 'Bots are better at utilizing their Anti-submarine-warfare options.
Granted, that is merely my speculation & imagination.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Powerful, for now.
I imagine that WG/WOWs will tighten-up this metaphorical loophole (in the next patch/update or two from now) so that the 'Bots are better at utilizing their Anti-submarine-warfare options.
Granted, that is merely my speculation & imagination.

Having more intelligent bots wouldn't be a bad thing, but WG still has to make subs fun to play so people will buy them 🙂

7 minutes ago, blindfaith1 said:

Having more intelligent bots wouldn't be a bad thing, but WG still has to make subs fun to play so people will buy them 🙂

I've been playing Submarines in WOWs since the introductory Halloween event.  🙂 
And I agree that the 'bots leveling-up wouldn't be a bad thing.  🙂 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Played a lot of Asym this patch. Much more than Operations as it clears my XP and mission requirements quicker. I started out playing all (surface) classes and while they can all be fun, yes BBs are the most reliable. Especially secondary builds.

Many games in my GK. I prefer it over my Schlieffen just because of the extra 4 barrels. I can swat DDs harder with the main guns that way and finish them off with secondaries. I have noticed bot North Carolinas sometimes seem to have GPS citadel-homing super duper AP from across the map though. Other than that, as long as I don't eat any torps I usually survive and often top the team. I never bother with HE on it as the AP is enough to smack enough HP off DDs for the secondaires to finish them quickly.

Napoli does well, as does Salem. Having heals on a cruiser makes a huge difference.

DDs, more challenging but also fun. The bummer is when you think you're safe and out of nowhere a bot you never saw pops radar or hydro from the other side of an island. Often when you're smoked up. The bots communicate quite well when it comes to this. lol

I mainly played T9 and 10 simply because I can't in Ops and I rarely play Coop except for certain missions.

I really hope it sticks around as a permanent, or at least seasonal (as in several times a year) mode. I'm betting their spreadsheets will show it was very popular this round. But I'm sure they'll find a way to nerf the income / xp for the next time (even though it wasn't exactly 'great'). Can't have people ruining the economy...

Edited by xamdam
  • Like 3

Likewise, for the snowflakes I've opted to go the Asymmetric way. Even with some BB's and cruisers lately. It's pot luck essentially, which map you get, what kind of team you get, and how many yolo BB's you get on your team...

• Like 3

I just discovered AB.  I think I'm in love.  Co-op Hard Mode with some of the positioning requirements of Randoms, and reasonable rewards.

Not appropriate for knocking off Snowflakes because the battles take 2-3x longer than base Co-op, but I will be playing more after the Christmas events.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2024 at 6:50 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Likewise, for the snowflakes I've opted to go the Asymmetric way.

I was going to do that for the Holiday event, but when I did the projection, even with AB I'll come up just short of the Steel because of the limits on Progression Points.  So I'll have to be satisfied with the Festive Rewards, and in Co-op I can get many more of them with the same time investment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I just discovered AB.  I think I'm in love.  Co-op Hard Mode with some of the positioning requirements of Randoms, and reasonable rewards.

Not appropriate for knocking off Snowflakes because the battles take 2-3x longer than base Co-op, but I will be playing more after the Christmas events.

Welcome to the party!

But... curious mind(s) want to know. Will AB continue after the "Christmas events"? I haven't seen anything about how long it's projected to run...

23 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Welcome to the party!

But... curious mind(s) want to know. Will AB continue after the "Christmas events"? I haven't seen anything about how long it's projected to run...

Ends this Wednesday

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

Ends this Wednesday

Welp, guess I'll play some of my other Tier 9 and 10s then put them back into mothballs and head back to Operations after that. Bummer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xamdam said:

Welp, guess I'll play some of my other Tier 9 and 10s then put them back into mothballs and head back to Operations after that. Bummer.

We were discussing that last night as well.  If they end ASB's this Wednesday, we'll see a 50% cut in play.   The ones left will play Op's only.  COOP is dead to us for most missions anymore.  PVP is simply OUT completely.  

8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

<bleah>

I'm not sure what that ^^^ meant???  TBH, a great many of us are "about done" with this game....  ASB's were a "bright light" for many of us and, I used ASB's to farm almost all of my snow flakes this year, faster than ever before....  So, losing ASB for some other crappy mode of play is a sad thing......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asym said:

So, losing ASB for some other crappy mode of play is a sad thing......

The long version of <bleah>.

• Thanks 1

Last hours of AB being a bit rough. Quote of the day (so far) after a Montana / Des Moines div rushed straight up one flank in a "Standard Battle". The Des Moans gets devstruck and starts blaming the "cowards hiding in the back"... His Montana buddy goes a min or so later.

Trying to explain how the bots operate in the Standard Battle is met with silence. Obviously, he didn't care or isn't willing to learn. Oh well, such is the way of the playerbase.

I will be sad when these get removed though. I will also have a lot more time to do other things that are piling up! 

• Sad 1