In gaming news about the WoWS forum shut down

Admiral_Karasu

Aiendreas [EU] on Discord 'forum' posted a link to this article.

‘World Of Warships’ Forums Shutdown: The Great Community Rework [Opinion]

I took the liberty of posting something the comments (see below). I think it's waiting for moderation at this point but I show you here how I commented on the article:

Thank you, a pretty good take on how it all transpired. Three days was just too short a time to prepare any sort of an organization move for the community. We have, however, as a community managed to set up a new forum for WoWS players who require a real forum to interact on instead of the chat and messaging platform that Discord is, and Discord is very good for what it does but a forum it is not.

The brand new community forum for WoWS is, of course, global now with players from NA, EU, and ASIA joining. The new forum can be found at www.devstrike.net.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

*sigh* My comment hasn't shown up yet. I'll keep tabs on it and try again if needed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

*sigh* My comment hasn't shown up yet. I'll keep tabs on it and try again if needed.

My comment hasn't shown up yet either. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Don't hold your breath, none of the articles on this site has comments.😐

Well, we need to find some other sites then.

An e-mail from a reknown player/CC(*) to Mr Jingles could maybe give visibility, i tried, but i'm a nobody, so i guess my message went directly in the spams can.

(*)very subtle toe-call to The LittleWhiteMouse😇

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Aiendreas [EU] on Discord 'forum' posted a link to this article.

‘World Of Warships’ Forums Shutdown: The Great Community Rework [Opinion]

I took the liberty of posting something the comments (see below). I think it's waiting for moderation at this point but I show you here how I commented on the article:

Thank you, a pretty good take on how it all transpired. Three days was just too short a time to prepare any sort of an organization move for the community. We have, however, as a community managed to set up a new forum for WoWS players who require a real forum to interact on instead of the chat and messaging platform that Discord is, and Discord is very good for what it does but a forum it is not.

The brand new community forum for WoWS is, of course, global now with players from NA, EU, and ASIA joining. The new forum can be found at www.devstrike.net.

Wow, that is a beautifully done article. And it raises a flippin' good point. None of the other WG forums (WoT/WoWP) are being shut down. If the case according to Wargaming was to transfer everyone over to Discord because it's "more popular", those forums should have absolutely been shut down as well, at practically the same time.

But they weren't. 🤔

(Quote from Wargaming regarding forum shutdown):

"One of the most notable is in the ways players interface with various platforms, communicate with each other and with game publishers or studios. This was exemplified particularly by a general migration from the forums to Discord and similar community channels. In addition to the above, our forum infrastructure has also aged quite significantly over the years, so we have decided to lay this particular platform to rest."

download.jpg.fdaae7f8aaff715dca870414023b4d97.jpg

Sorry Wargaming, there's too many missing variables here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Don't hold your breath, none of the articles on this site has comments.😐

Yeahhhh, about that....

cheeky-hehe.gif.45b7b18ff1180955a4f3ee525d3c14b7.gif

I might have posted a teensy weensy comment...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

An e-mail from a reknown player/CC(*) to Mr Jingles could maybe give visibility, i tried, but i'm a nobody, so i guess my message went directly in the spams can.

You think? I think I might have heard that name, @LittleWhiteMouse somewhere before...

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Wow, that is a beautifully done article. And it raises a flippin' good point. None of the other WG forums (WoT/WoWP) are being shut down. If the case according to Wargaming was to transfer everyone over to Discord because it's "more popular", those forums should have absolutely been shut down as well, at practically the same time.

But they weren't. 🤔

(Quote from Wargaming regarding forum shutdown):

"One of the most notable is in the ways players interface with various platforms, communicate with each other and with game publishers or studios. This was exemplified particularly by a general migration from the forums to Discord and similar community channels. In addition to the above, our forum infrastructure has also aged quite significantly over the years, so we have decided to lay this particular platform to rest."

download.jpg.fdaae7f8aaff715dca870414023b4d97.jpg

Sorry Wargaming, there's too many missing variables here.

Members of the now-shutdown-forum also made the same points that the article mentioned.  
The article just puts the important stuff in one place, on one page, and with a less than 5 minute reading time.

I noticed the "Clan Hub" was deleted a handful of days ago, too.  For some reason WOWs didn't want that visible until the October deadline, eh?

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:
27 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

You think? I think I might have heard that name, @LittleWhiteMouse somewhere before...

LaTouche and Karasu pinging Mouse be like:

😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

LaTouche and Karasu pinging Mouse be like:

😜

Ah.. in the old days on the WoT forum, we had a searchlight which cast a giant hamster shape on the sky, as a signal.

• Haha 4

One of the things you can do is change your Discord custom status to show the Devstrike address.  Basically, its a free advertisement since it will show in every Discord server you are a member of, and you don't even have to be doing anything on that server.

image.png.ab29a646a9afccf72504a71f47d289c4.png

Changing it is really easy. You can follow the article here:

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035407531-Custom-Status#:~:text=To Edit your custom status,right of your custom status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, yss_turtleship said:

One of the things you can do is change your Discord custom status to show the Devstrike address.  Basically, its a free advertisement since it will show in every Discord server you are a member of, and you don't even have to be doing anything on that server.

image.png.ab29a646a9afccf72504a71f47d289c4.png

Changing it is really easy. You can follow the article here:

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035407531-Custom-Status#:~:text=To Edit your custom status,right of your custom status.

Thanks for this - I just popped into Discord and did the necessary.

While I was there, I had another look around; it *really* is a carp substitute for a forum, thrown into even more sharp relief in comparison to this one (hat-tip again to those that set this up)!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

While I was there, I had another look around; it *really* is a carp substitute for a forum, thrown into even more sharp relief in comparison to this one (hat-tip again to those that set this up)!

I spotted you slumming there earlier.

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I spotted you slumming there earlier.

Ghastly experience; stayed long enough to check things out, and block some delusional shill that I think I had on ignore on the old forum, before bravely running away - never to return, most likely.

1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

Ghastly experience; stayed long enough to check things out, and block some delusional shill that I think I had on ignore on the old forum, before bravely running away - never to return, most likely.

Well, I only go there to check occasionally myself to see if they are chatting about anything interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

You can also change your flair on the WoWs subreddit on Reddit.
image.thumb.png.135fe890da9fb3ce7bd5085364b18327.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, yss_turtleship said:

You can also change your flair on the WoWs subreddit on Reddit.
image.thumb.png.135fe890da9fb3ce7bd5085364b18327.png

Thanks.

From the article:

"It started with the Puerto Rico dockyard debacle back in Christmas 2019 and only got worse from there."

- oh no, it started waaaaay before that. Years before. Arguably with the humble bundle thing back in 2015.

• Like 1