Silly question about obtaining "extra" festive tokens based on # of ships in port.

xamdam

Looking at my port, if I grab some extra port slots that are 20% off for the 5 pack I may be able to bump my ship count to 300.  

My question is, and I can't seem to find any definite info, does anyone remember how this works? I know I was getting 2 extra tokens (for having 200+ ships) in the last event. I don't remember the base xp requirement though. Also, does it scale up per each 100 ships? Meaning, would I need to get higher base xp if I had 300 ships to get 3 tokens? I remember seeing the chart somewhere before but I haven't been able to find anything about it now.

For example, wasn't it something like this?
100 ships / 300 base xp = 1 extra token

200 ships / 600 base xp = 2 extra tokens

300 ships / 900 base xp = 3 extra tokens

400 ships / 1200 base xp = 4 extra tokens

500~etc

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot since I mostly play only PVE anymore and the base xp is low to begin with. That said, getting the extra tokens helps shorten the grind, a lot... My current extra 2 tokens was easy enough. But if the base xp required for 300+ ships is too high (for PVE/Operations) I may end up actually getting fewer tokens in the end (due to bad teams failing in Ops).

Any help would be appreciated so I can make my decision. There are plenty of free Tier 1~3 ships I can grab for free/cheap to fatten out my port. It's the extra slots and potential increase in bxp requirements that has me undecided.

Running solo in ops, I was able to easily complete enough BXP regularly to get past the 500 ship requirement during the anniversary event this year, so there shouldn't be much issue doing the same this time. Combining ops and assym should get you plenty of BXP for all of your ships, and since the removal of coal and steel, (assuming they put an upper limit on Santa's Crates too), I have a feeling several of my (approx. 500) ships will go unrun again just because I'm out of meaningful rewards for running them.

Edited by FltCaptAlan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xamdam said:

Also, does it scale up per each 100 ships? Meaning, would I need to get higher base xp if I had 300 ships to get 3 tokens? I remember seeing the chart somewhere before but I haven't been able to find anything about it now.

You don’t need to reach the higher base xp level just because you have a larger fleet. Each set of 100 ships opens the option for that extra additional reward, but doesn’t “lock” you out of the lower tiers of extra flakes. You’ll still clear the lower levels regardless of the number of ships you have, it just gives you extra rewards if you clear higher levels too.

Think of it like this — if you have 100+ ships, you can get an extra reward by earning 400 base xp. If you have 200+ ships, you’re also eligible for a second extra reward if you earn 800 base xp. And then 300+ lets you earn a third at 1000, etc.

For example (assuming they use the same numbers from the anniversary):

If you have 300 ships in your fleet, you can earn up to three extra flakes per ship cleared.

You take out a ship and have an amazing co-op game and earn 1000 base xp. That’s enough to earn all three extra rewards you’re eligible for, so you get all three.

Your next game, bot spawns and pathing aren’t as kind to you and you barely manage to reach 400 base xp. Since you only crossed the xp threshold for the first level, you only get one extra reward from that battle.

Finally you decide to play an op and earn 1500 base xp. If you had 500 ships, you’d get five extra rewards (for exceeding 1200 base xp). But you’re only eligible for three, so you just get three. 

If you understand how the mechanic actually works, you can probably figure out what the chart is showing (the maximum number of flakes each tier can earn, and how much you need to earn that “additional” extra flake). But it doesn’t do a good job of actually showing how it works. It would take up a lot more space, but would probably be easier to understand if it were laid out differently. Have the fleet size go down the side (as 0-99 or <100, 100+, 200+, etc), and then show the base xp stages along the top.

Or even just change the columns from 100-199, 200-299, 300-399, etc. to 100+, 200+, etc. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

You don’t need to reach the higher base xp level just because you have a larger fleet. Each set of 100 ships opens the option for that extra additional reward, but doesn’t “lock” you out of the lower tiers of extra flakes. You’ll still clear the lower levels regardless of the number of ships you have, it just gives you extra rewards if you clear higher levels too.

Think of it like this — if you have 100+ ships, you can get an extra reward by earning 400 base xp. If you have 200+ ships, you’re also eligible for a second extra reward if you earn 800 base xp. And then 300+ lets you earn a third at 1000, etc.

For example (assuming they use the same numbers from the anniversary):

If you have 300 ships in your fleet, you can earn up to three extra flakes per ship cleared.

You take out a ship and have an amazing co-op game and earn 1000 base xp. That’s enough to earn all three extra rewards you’re eligible for, so you get all three.

Your next game, bot spawns and pathing aren’t as kind to you and you barely manage to reach 400 base xp. Since you only crossed the xp threshold for the first level, you only get one extra reward from that battle.

Finally you decide to play an op and earn 1500 base xp. If you had 500 ships, you’d get five extra rewards (for exceeding 1200 base xp). But you’re only eligible for three, so you just get three. 

If you understand how the mechanic actually works, you can probably figure out what the chart is showing (the maximum number of flakes each tier can earn, and how much you need to earn that “additional” extra flake). But it doesn’t do a good job of actually showing how it works. It would take up a lot more space, but would probably be easier to understand if it were laid out differently. Have the fleet size go down the side (as 0-99 or <100, 100+, 200+, etc), and then show the base xp stages along the top.

Or even just change the columns from 100-199, 200-299, 300-399, etc. to 100+, 200+, etc. 

Okay, thank you! That's what I was mainly worried about. Spending some of my hoarded dubs for a few port slots, spending credits on ships I'll never play and then getting locked out of some extra rewards. 

Ofc, the system may change at the next event but this helps. Thanks again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xamdam said:

Okay, thank you! That's what I was mainly worried about. Spending some of my hoarded dubs for a few port slots, spending credits on ships I'll never play and then getting locked out of some extra rewards. 

Put it this way - assuming your port has grown or stayed static, you are no worse off than you were last year. 

The worst case scenario is having to play every ship. This mechanism merely helps people with bigger fleets get through them quicker. 

The cost of splurging for a few extra slots and a few extra ships is very rarely worth the gain, and you should be very clear before doing so about whether what you get is worth what you spend.

• Like 1