World of Warships is an RPG - Lets lean into it

kriegerfaust

Let's face it the game is not a simulation or even an arcade game but a full-blown RPG.  We have classes Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, Carriers and Submarines all with their own roles and playstyles.  We have stats for health, speed, maneuvering and more that further define their roles as ships.  We then have skills for are captains that can increase some stats and lower other stats to make them better in their roles.  Then there is leveling up are captains and ships that get us new skills and ships.  Modules we can place on our ships to increase our stats, this a game of chasing higher numbers for are ships.

We of course have attack and defense in the form of guns and armor but also smoke, AA and ASW.  Simply put every aspect of the game is about boosting stats and trying to out-stat the enemy.  Trying to see the enemy before they see you with a stealth build is all about stats.  Trying to hit the enemy before they can hit you with range is all about stats.  Now of course there are elements of skill outside of builds like team play and position yoloing through the center of the map won't change much from stats.

th-wwii-home-guard-in-a-mock-up-gas-atta

What is my point well we have damage over time flooding and fire, and skill buffs over time like increase accuracy for are guns.  Hear me out chemical weapons no not for another over damage type but a skill sap.  Like artillery smoke often was not used to kill but hinder enemies by forcing them to take cover or put on masks.  You enter an area instead of with smoke where your view is obscured your rate of fire goes down because you have to put on a gas mask.  Or repair is delayed or speed goes down because the engine crew is rushing to get to their masks the point is with an RPG you have positive skill boosts and skill drains.

450px-Awm_128387_nadzab.jpg 

Delivered by shell, bombs and machines on destroyers they would provide a third option to damage, damage or time and now skill depuffs.   A cruiser is burning your battleship to the waterline gas/poison them to cut their range or fire rate.  Sorry if this is a poor idea but i have been coming down with something for a few days.  but i think it works because world of warships is an RPG you take the Mech's and turn them into mech's and you have a mech RPG.   Think about it shooting a player suppresses capturing a point shouldn't it also you know suppress the ship, i know being shot at would suppress me so why not even in a ship. 

in conclusion we are fighting with manned ships not transformers, we have a captain Afterall.  There are limits to this of course i don't want or need to see tiny men running to life rafts.  The game can already seem complex, but this could be fun to try not only to kill the enemy but outthink him.  I can't be the only one that loved to slow an enemy down in an RPG.  If we think of this game as an RPG then a lot more options become available for us to play with.  Now i don't mean fantasy i am not asking for shields or summons but come on tell me there are not already elements of RPG like healing a ship in battle that's some dwarf level stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

Let's face it the game is not a simulation or even an arcade game but a full-blown RPG.  We have classes Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, Carriers and Submarines all with their own roles and playstyles.  We have stats for health, speed, maneuvering and more that further define their roles as ships.  We then have skills for are captains that can increase some stats and lower other stats to make them better in their roles.  Then there is leveling up are captains and ships that get us new skills and ships.  Modules we can place on our ships to increase our stats, this a game of chasing higher numbers for are ships.

We of course have attack and defense in the form of guns and armor but also smoke, AA and ASW.  Simply put every aspect of the game is about boosting stats and trying to out-stat the enemy.  Trying to see the enemy before they see you with a stealth build is all about stats.  Trying to hit the enemy before they can hit you with range is all about stats.  Now of course there are elements of skill outside of builds like team play and position yoloing through the center of the map won't change much from stats.

<photo edited out for brevity>

What is my point well we have damage over time flooding and fire, and skill buffs over time like increase accuracy for are guns.  Hear me out chemical weapons no not for another over damage type but a skill sap.  Like artillery smoke often was not used to kill but hinder enemies by forcing them to take cover or put on masks.  You enter an area instead of with smoke where your view is obscured your rate of fire goes down because you have to put on a gas mask.  Or repair is delayed or speed goes down because the engine crew is rushing to get to their masks the point is with an RPG you have positive skill boosts and skill drains.

<photo edited out for brevity>

Delivered by shell, bombs and machines on destroyers they would provide a third option to damage, damage or time and now skill depuffs.   A cruiser is burning your battleship to the waterline gas/poison them to cut their range or fire rate.  Sorry if this is a poor idea but i have been coming down with something for a few days.  but i think it works because world of warships is an RPG you take the Mech's and turn them into mech's and you have a mech RPG.   Think about it shooting a player suppresses capturing a point shouldn't it also you know suppress the ship, i know being shot at would suppress me so why not even in a ship. 

in conclusion we are fighting with manned ships not transformers, we have a captain Afterall.  There are limits to this of course i don't want or need to see tiny men running to life rafts.  The game can already seem complex, but this could be fun to try not only to kill the enemy but outthink him.  I can't be the only one that loved to slow an enemy down in an RPG.  If we think of this game as an RPG then a lot more options become available for us to play with.  Now i don't mean fantasy i am not asking for shields or summons but come on tell me there are not already elements of RPG like healing a ship in battle that's some dwarf level stuff.

I wonder if you would enjoy contributing some stories of your own Role-Playing-Game adventures within another topic?  🙂

By the way, when my Azur Lane Commanders read your post, they often burst out laughing and frequently asked, "They're only realizing that, now?".  🙂 

As for your "boosts" and "drains", I'm reminded of some of the game mechanics used in Star Trek Online.  🙂 

While use of poison gas is theoretically possible in Naval situations, if my memory serves me correctly, there were problems with the poison gas being quickly dispersed by ocean winds and ships could simply order their crews to wear masks & close all hatches and the ship would sail out of it.
But, in the close-quarters and island infested maps of WOWs, perhaps it may find a niche?  

Anyway, I did a quick bit of research and found an article that I feel is relevant and offers some useful food for thought to add to this discussion.  🙂 

The Protection Of Capital Ships Against Poison Gas

By Lieutenant Paul W. Hains (Cc), U. S. Navy

July 1923
https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1923/july/protection-capital-ships-against-poison-gas

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

thanks long and complicated it makes you wonder how many warships put this into practice as the expense on larger ships would have been great.  Providing special clothing for all crew in open weapon mounts in itself would have been a great cost.  Then providing all closed mounts and environments with a way to pressurize them another.  Lastly the cost of deodorizer, an evaporator, a gas cooler, a gas absorber, and an air washer, chemical scrubbers for the entire ship.  That of course does not take into account battle damage that would open sealed environments.    

As for RPG i live in mostly a rural area so it's hard to play with other groups and normally stick to RPG games i loved JRPG games.  But did join a local RPG group before the Corona virus that met at a local site.  We only played a few games, but it was fun i played a druid that i loved to play i liked to do support more then hit things with a sword.  Like a lot of parties, we adopted a couple of goblin-controlled wolves thanks to my druid abilities we could not take all of them as i failed some of the checks.  Funny thing i wore metal armor giving up shape shift but had the best AC in the party.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in how this topic is discussed in a forum free of WG interference...

This idea was brought up multiple times during my time on the NA server (that the game is RPG like) and it was VOCIFEROUSLY denied by WG staff and volunteers...

...mostly because it exposes that a lot of leveling up can be achieved either by directly paying for it or can be achieved faster by paying for things...which then demonstrates that the game is pay2win if looked at as an RPG.

The game being known as pay2win was and still is seen as a huge detriment to sales (though I think WG is wrong to be so afraid of the moniker), and so discussion along these lines was quickly quashed by either direct censorship or allowing WG volunteers to troll and bully the author without consequence to drive the topic away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'd be interested in how this topic is discussed in a forum free of WG interference...

This idea was brought up multiple times during my time on the NA server (that the game is RPG like) and it was VOCIFEROUSLY denied by WG staff and volunteers...

...mostly because it exposes that a lot of leveling up can be achieved either by directly paying for it or can be achieved faster by paying for things...which then demonstrates that the game is pay2win if looked at as an RPG.

The game being known as pay2win was and still is seen as a huge detriment to sales (though I think WG is wrong to be so afraid of the moniker), and so discussion along these lines was quickly quashed by either direct censorship or allowing WG volunteers to troll and bully the author without consequence to drive the topic away.

That's a vicious cycle......having to "pay for" a faster rate to achieve something....  The detriment to sales is the less than honest way that after you "pay", it's not a stand alone event.........you have to constantly pay.....  Or, you simply stall and that alone is so painful, you quit or pony up for yet another Pay event.....

It's not a detriment to sales.....it's the game not being recommended that is hurting sales..... 

if it is this easy even this gem could be taken as rpg rofl ^^....

220px-Panzer_General_screenshot.png

xp, upgrades, classes, cross effects, yaddayadda.... in the end u can add a rpg level to anything u do on ur own. actually, taking the marks given in here kind of every game nowadays is rpg. eeerm... nein.

6 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

[...] Star Trek Online.  [...]

"summon to kill pvp"

b178500a-3139-4951-9dd8-b56e2f2774f2-pro

Edited by MrWastee
  • Haha 1

Yeah there are elements of MMORP in it all right mainly IMHO - class specific skills/upgrades and "tier progression" that usually maintains the "look end feel" is pure RPG material ie its upgrading your main character...

Oh yeah and lets not forget selling cosmetics and "premium sets" (in this case ships) altering the play experience withing the said class for cash

Edited by Yedwy

What is a role-playing game (RPG)?

A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which each participant assumes the role of a character that can interact within the game's imaginary world. Many RPGs are set in fantasy or science fiction environments. Among the earliest and most popular RPGs are Dungeons and Dragons (D&D), BattleTech, and Star Wars Galaxies. Most RPGs are played online or digitally, making them part of the electronic game genre.

RPGs are often called video games. RPGs usually have a storyline and central quest players, or "gamers," aim to complete, adopting the role of a fictional character in the imaginary RPG world. Some RPGs also include additional side quests that may or may not be optional. These side quests let gamers gain more experience in the game and improve their character's attributes and abilities.

Most modern-day RPGs typically include one or more of these elements:

• Levels letting a player improve the character and earn more points as they progress.
  • Statistics showing how many points a player has earned and their position vis-à-vis other players.
  • A combat system that, among other elements, lets players choose their actions and abilities.
  • Equipment, such as armor and weapons, that make players' characters stronger.
  • Elements that let players interact with other players and with the gaming environment, such as traps, doors, etc.
  • Character classes that each player can select, such as warrior, wizard, princess, etc.

Many RPGs include a participant known as the "game master" who usually acts as the game narrator and rule keeper. In electronic RPGs, unlike pen-and-paper RPGs, the role of a game master is automated. The game or the computer selects the actions of the game's non-player characters (NPCs) and enemies.

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/role-playing-game-RPG

A ship in World of Warships can not continue to get stronger even if it accrues more and more ShipXP. 
Ships are limited to their hulls & equipment and the tiers of play available to them.
Tier-1 Orlan cannot "level-up" to become Tier-10 Orlan and participate in Tier-10 matchmaking, for example.

A Commander in World of Warships can gain experience and skills until they reach their maximum (currently 21 skill points).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yet there are elements of role-play used for entertainment purposes, though.  :-) 

Detective Kléberot in Action! Murder in the Western Sea

• Like 1

The point is not that it is a one for one RPG you can't truly multi-class but nations are a bit like races, nevertheless my point is more it is not a simulation or arcade game because you can change the attributes of a single ship a great deal such as range can vary by easily 25% or more based on build which can very much change how you play it.  Second this is not bad as it lets people focus on different things you can have one ship that focuses on guns while another focus on torpedoes meaning given choice of ships and builds no two plyers have to play the same.  My point is only thinking of it as an RPG frees me of the mechanics so i can decide what i want to do then decide how it will be done, which is easier than looking through history to decide what kind of gimmick i would like to see in the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

The point is not that it is a one for one RPG you can't truly multi-class but nations are a bit like races, nevertheless my point is more it is not a simulation or arcade game because you can change the attributes of a single ship a great deal such as range can vary by easily 25% or more based on build which can very much change how you play it.  Second this is not bad as it lets people focus on different things you can have one ship that focuses on guns while another focus on torpedoes meaning given choice of ships and builds no two plyers have to play the same.  My point is only thinking of it as an RPG frees me of the mechanics so i can decide what i want to do then decide how it will be done, which is easier than looking through history to decide what kind of gimmick i would like to see in the game.

[ Hodin ]: "However, the only 'tool' diplomacy has is language. It is of the utmost importance that the meaning be crystal clear."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708470/characters/nm0403588

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

[ Hodin ]: "However, the only 'tool' diplomacy has is language. It is of the utmost importance that the meaning be crystal clear."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708470/characters/nm0403588

If that were only true.  Money is the language of diplomacy....  Language makes the money "sound better" even if the money is a most bitter pill....  There are several real situations in play right now where Language is the facade to cloak where the money goes.....

break   (a military word in a Radio or electronic conversation where one wants to change the subject or the conversation being had)

RPG.....  I've been thinking about this since this thread came out....  And, much of the discussion above resonates with me....  But, I was thinking.......and, that can be the potent of disaster, that the only real thing in this game that can "be expanded to include story or in game use based on a story" are the Captains....

What I'd love to see are the back stories of our CPT built around increasing the effects or the amount of things they bring with them, by a Campaign like event that gives our CPT"s just slight increase in capabilities or by adding two to three additional skills use.....  i.e. creating a 23 point CPT that really doesn't change the meta too much.

This would serve several purposes:  to invest the players in a long term campaign to do this by providing a well conceived back story for whatever skills the player wants to add;  to make money for the game and doing so in a very low cost way.....not a P2P, real money, kinda of investment....  We could build a War College for our clan ports or have a generic one for non-clan players....  The campaign would have a skills list and exploring that list and the story behind the campaign would be educational and fun.

I am not suggestion a major change here....  Just, another way to have some fun over a period of time.  And, we have a lot of CPT's that aren't humans or are cartoon characters........imagine what you could do with them !  

IMO, it would be fun to "build an Optimal Captain"......to match what your play style is....

Edited by Asym
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Asym said:

If that were only true.  Money is the language of diplomacy....  Language makes the money "sound better" even if the money is a most bitter pill....  There are several real situations in play right now where Language is the facade to cloak where the money goes.....

break   (a military word in a Radio or electronic conversation where one wants to change the subject or the conversation being had)

RPG.....  I've been thinking about this since this thread came out....  And, much of the discussion above resonates with me....  But, I was thinking.......and, that can be the potent of disaster, that the only real thing in this game that can "be expanded to include story or in game use based on a story" are the Captains....

What I'd love to see are the back stories of our CPT built around increasing the effects or the amount of things they bring with them, by a Campaign like event that gives our CPT"s just slight increase in capabilities or by adding two to three additional skills use.....  i.e. creating a 23 point CPT that really doesn't change the meta too much.

This would serve several purposes:  to invest the players in a long term campaign to do this by providing a well conceived back story for whatever skills the player wants to add;  to make money for the game and doing so in a very low cost way.....not a P2P, real money, kinda of investment....  We could build a War College for our clan ports or have a generic one for non-clan players....  The campaign would have a skills list and exploring that list and the story behind the campaign would be educational and fun.

I am not suggestion a major change here....  Just, another way to have some fun over a period of time.  And, we have a lot of CPT's that aren't humans or are cartoon characters........imagine what you could do with them !  

IMO, it would be fun to "build an Optimal Captain"......to match what your play style is....

On the old NA Forum, @ArIskandir proposed expanding the game in a manner that involved ideas from several games.
Questing, trading, conquest of areas of a global map under the auspices of one of several "nations" or "great houses" depending upon the details.
I mentioned similarities with Sid Meyer's Pirates game and offered blending of elements from the SIMS online game (so we could decorate and tour our own Port Bases and visit other player's Ports and do pub-crawls and other fun stuff). 
Also I suggested we perform "away team missions" similar to Star Trek Online, wherein our ships could sail to islands and our Captains or Avatars of ourselves and a portion of the ship's crew could disembark the ship to perform ground exploration and treasure hunting and other activities for the fun of it.
There could be "festivals", too, wherein players gather to have a beach party or something and perhaps have surfing contests and etc. & etc.

There is plenty of room for WOWs to be expanded with more activities and new content (ranging from practical to whimsical) to be added.
The willingness of the developers and our own imagination are the limiting factors, eh?  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a glimpse of what it might look like. 

Saw this comment by Drake_the_troll on Reddit. 

Three grumman aircraft approach your broadside, their undersided loaded with torpedos. What do you do?"

I roll to evade and initiate anti aircraft countermeasures

"Roll 3 D20 and a D6"

10, 5, and 1, plus 4

"The anti air crew race into action, filling the skies with tracer fire. Your secondaries boom, deafening all nearby. Several aircraft are shot down, but your crew had just competed in the inter-ship beer chugging competition last night and the planes deadly cargo is dropped. You own hand, deft on the wheel from years of experience, sharply turns the wheel, but its just too late. You evade all but two torpedos which catches your broadside"

"Rolls 2 D4, getting a 3 and a 1"

"The first torpedo was dropped early, and American torpedos are still in their mid-WW2 state. A wave lifts your ship and the torpedo sails beneath your midships, scratching the paint off the underside of the hull. The second was not so lucky. The pilot, an expert judge of the waves, held his finger on the trigger timing the drop just right. It slams into your bow opening a large hole. Luckily your crew are extremely well trained in damage control and seal up the exposed segments before too much flooding can occur. In addition no major sections are hit and you can continue until you reach port later on without issue"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The willingness of the developers and our own imagination are the limiting factors, eh?  🙂 

The only limiting factor(s) is/are MONEY.   You have to have it to spend it.  And, I kind of believe our host would rather gather mold than innovate.  Innovation requires a lot of faith and commitment to an idea.  Which, I just can't see happening ever.....

And yes, the sky is the limit that is controlled by "money..."  (I liked your ideas and those of the others !)

• Confused 1

When I first saw the title, I thought it was about rocket-propelled grenades.

I imagined the sailors lined up on the deck firing them at the nearby ship that was brawling. 🫠

• Like 1
  • Haha 1