The HSF Graf Spee auction - low priced result?

Aragathor

The HSF Graf Spee auction ended and the final price was 10600 dubs. That's 35€. In comparison a T6 premium cruiser costs ~18€.

For a bundle, that's not a great price, as you also received the captain and a mission for the collection.

And then there's the issue of Graf Spee being a rare ship that cannot be obtained otherwise. This ship has been deemed OP by WG, and yet the price for it was more or less the standard bundle shop price, from way back in the day. And let's not forget that collab ships sell for a premium too.

That's not a great result, considering the fact that WG put only 900 bundles into the auction. Looks like the whales looked at it, balked, and kept their purse strings tight.

39 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Looks like the whales looked at it, balked, and kept their purse strings tight.

Perhaps, especially since this auction was over the combined NA, EU and ASIA servers.  However, with 900 bundles in the auction, the winning bid would be the 900th top bid (with 899 bids the same, or higher.)

So take the total number of whales on all 3 servers (an unknown number), subtract those who already have the HSF Graf Spee, subtract those who are not interested in the HSF series, and subtract those who already have the Graf Spee and are not interested in the clone.  The resulting number, indeed, seems to be less than 900. 🙂

Rookie (not one of the whales)

10600 doubloons as the 900th highest bid seems about right to me, and I would argue that the price indicates that Graf Spee might still be considered a desirable ship by the playerbase and will likely return to the auction in the future.

In past such auctions, ships like Belfast and Musashi have sold for double the minimum bid, and while slightly lower (+~90% vs. 100%) the results of this auction were in the same general range. Musashi then featured in a second auction and sold again for a similar price. In contrast, ships like Nelson and Haida sold for significantly less (in fact, IIRC the latter sold for the minimum price or very close to it).

Edited by Nevermore135

1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

The HSF Graf Spee auction ended and the final price was 10600 dubs. That's 35€. In comparison a T6 premium cruiser costs ~18€.

For a bundle, that's not a great price, as you also received the captain and a mission for the collection.

And then there's the issue of Graf Spee being a rare ship that cannot be obtained otherwise. This ship has been deemed OP by WG, and yet the price for it was more or less the standard bundle shop price, from way back in the day. And let's not forget that collab ships sell for a premium too.

That's not a great result, considering the fact that WG put only 900 bundles into the auction. Looks like the whales looked at it, balked, and kept their purse strings tight.

I already had the HSF Graf Spee, from a previous High School Fleet collaboration event.
I couldn't bid on it.

What I did bid on was the Blue Mermaids Flag.  My 31,000,003 credits bid was well short of the lowest winning bid of 67,000,000 credits.
https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/?do=findComment&comment=19298

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

18 minutes ago, Seaman_Rookie said:

Perhaps, especially since this auction was over the combined NA, EU and ASIA servers.  However, with 900 bundles in the auction, the winning bid would be the 900th top bid (with 899 bids the same, or higher.)

So take the total number of whales on all 3 servers (an unknown number), subtract those who already have the HSF Graf Spee, subtract those who are not interested in the HSF series, and subtract those who already have the Graf Spee and are not interested in the clone.  The resulting number, indeed, seems to be less than 900. 🙂

Rookie (not one of the whales)

Yeah I imagine the number of people who like the anime content, or don't care and just thought of the ship, who already owned the ship from earlier sales of it were probably relatively high. Since it was semi-cheap being t6, rather unique especially at the time with few t6 ships having a heal and supercruisers not being a thing yet, for those who were fans a popular character, and the non-hsf ship wasn't availible. Then subtract all the people who hate "that weeb shit in my serious ship game," and yeah probably not a large pool of buyers to begin with before figuring in those that don't want to pay auction prices.

T6 is just meh. If they bring something like Thunderer on Auction, the whales will probably go crazy as usual.

• Like 1

I purchased the vanilla GS back in the day for historical reasons. Appreciate the staying power of a heal at Tier 6, but the reload 😳

It was also part of a mission where you could have the ship for free = O cost during christmas 2016/17. Sure it is a long time ago but many of us including me did get her then.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/graf-spee-marathon/

Also it seemed that if you had the captain you were registered as having the ship and could not bid, I read it somewhere maybe on reddit but I have not checked personally if that was correct or if it was fixed. It was not interesting to me anyway.

I think for historical reasons that she as the original ship belongs in port, but I have not played her much apart from say the first year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Also it seemed that if you had the captain you were registered as having the ship and could not bid, I read it somewhere maybe on reddit but I have not checked personally if that was correct or if it was fixed. It was not interesting to me anyway.

This was the case initially. Sometime over the course of the auction WG made a quiet fix.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

Another *minor* factor: if you had vanilla GS and bought the 'national' cammo for her (pre-separation of cammo and bonus), the HSF version is economically weaker than vanilla.

I don't imagine this applies to huge numbers of players, but still.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, ReDiR20 said:

T6 is one of the most fun tiers, but Graph Spee is just a mediocre premium.

After I hoisted a Sierra-Mike "speed flag" on mine, the Graf Spee was more pleasant to play as I worked on the High School Fleet in-game missions.
It made me wonder what taking the Swift-In-Silence skill might do?

On 11/22/2023 at 3:38 PM, Gnirf said:

On 11/22/2023 at 5:59 PM, Nevermore135 said:

This was the case initially. Sometime over the course of the auction WG made a quiet fix.

3wv1a0.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b13213cd5333de