Collaborator...?

Verblonde
Go to solution Solved by I_cant_Swim_,

This is probably hard-coded into the forum, so there isn't much that can be done, but - in the EU at least - doesn't the term 'collaborator' have somewhat negative connotations in some quarters?

image.png.5eb6d439e6257a1d4cf20191de0f1f2f.png

If I post lots of things approving of WG's more dubious actions, will I eventually get a 'Quisling' badge, I wonder...?

😉

• Haha 1

No, it doesn’t necessarily. Collaborate is a „clean“ word, though the association with repressive regimes has, of course, given „collaborator“ that hue in such contexts.

16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This is probably hard-coded into the forum, so there isn't much that can be done, but - in the EU at least - doesn't the term 'collaborator' have somewhat negative connotations in some quarters?

image.png.5eb6d439e6257a1d4cf20191de0f1f2f.png

If I post lots of things approving of WG's more dubious actions, will I eventually get a 'Quisling' badge, I wonder...?

😉

I'm not a psychologist and didnt stay in a Holiday Inn Express, last night ...
But this seems more like a 'you' situation, wherein you got triggered by the word.  🙂

We've had several anime and toy-product collaborations in-game.
Each company was a co-collaborator in those deals, eh?

I suggest losing the hang-up or confining it to the context in which you're seeing it.  🙂

35 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

But this seems more like a 'you' situation, wherein you got triggered by the word.

Triggered is too strong a word; I'm just in the habit (from work) of reading copy looking for unfortunate connotations. This connotation may be more of a European thing, for obvious reasons.

If it were me, I'd use the phrase 'co-collaborator', or perhaps 'collaborative effort', to make it unmistakably clear - in the context of a game that includes the WW2 period - that the positive meaning of the word was meant.

I may be just showing my age (a shade over half a century); for my vintage, a significant meaning for Collaborator (especially capitalised) was the negative one.

To be honest, I don't care enough to get excitable about this; I just wanted to flag it in case anyone else does. In a similar vein, the relatively recent Telegraph news logo (for breaking news, or whatever it was?) clearly made it past a lot of eyeballs before being released. Mind you, that is a lot worse than mere connotation...

5 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Triggered is too strong a word; I'm just in the habit (from work) of reading copy looking for unfortunate connotations. This connotation may be more of a European thing, for obvious reasons.

If it were me, I'd use the phrase 'co-collaborator', or perhaps 'collaborative effort', to make it unmistakably clear - in the context of a game that includes the WW2 period - that the positive meaning of the word was meant.

I may be just showing my age (a shade over half a century); for my vintage, a significant meaning for Collaborator (especially capitalised) was the negative one.

To be honest, I don't care enough to get excitable about this; I just wanted to flag it in case anyone else does. In a similar vein, the relatively recent Telegraph news logo (for breaking news, or whatever it was?) clearly made it past a lot of eyeballs before being released. Mind you, that is a lot worse than mere connotation...

Contingency planning and heading-off-trouble-at-the-proverbial-pass is laudable.
I'm only suggesting we don't make a mountain out of a molehill.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Solution

In confirmation of the OPs suspicion, "collaborator" is indeed pre-coded. Most such code can be altered using "languages", a tool where you in this case replace default English with your flavor of it, but I don't see "collaborator" raising any serious hackles. I'm currently using said tool in creation of Clan pages.

• Like 1