Missing the boat on the Recent Commander Reset

Tpaktop2_1 NA

I'd informed a clan mate the bad news there was a free commander reset. They were not able to take advantage of the reset situation because of their job schedule. To me rushing for 1 week for a commander reset is to short for some players, because they have lives outside of WoWS. They need to allow at least month for commander resets, or have the reset once a quarter for a one week period in the year (4x a year). It would be a nice perk for the loyal WoWS players that have played 2 years or more.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1 NA
typo
  • Like 3

• Tpaktop2_1 NA changed the title to Missing the boat on the Recent Commander Reset
16 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Good point, no idea why this was one week only.

To trap people who missed it into paying to reset the captains...

Obviously...

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Obviously...

Also, to appear generous, while being anything but.

There was also the issue of the button not working properly the first 1-2 days, so we didn't really get a whole week of resets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

There was also the issue of the button not working properly the first 1-2 days, so we didn't really get a whole week of resets.

Well, the button issue was rather interesting in itself. It was supposed to only activate the doubloon discount, but in the early stages it actually reset all the captains. Then they removed the reset with the button only giving the discount, as WG had intended, and when there was an outcry from people actually wanting the global reset, WG introduced a separate 'Reset all Captains' button.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

7 hours ago, Aragathor said:

I missed the reset period. I have a dedicated Captain for all my ships & I haven't noticed much of any differences. I'm not a parser of fine points anyway (lol) :).

• Like 3

The good news is a lot of the new skills weren't worth the bother to swap to. At least for me the only one I wanted to swap to was the Cruiser secondary skill on a few ships. I did those few ships and did take advantage of the reset to fix a couple Capt's (mostly BB's I wanted to add Brisk to). But for the most part 95%+ of my Capt's didn't need any changes. I considered the global reset just to have a clean slate across the board but when I looked at my hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of Capt's that would have to be redone I just said nah forget it. For someone who had a need for that global reset and missed it I feel bad for them as that sucks.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

This contradicts the stated purpose of "allowing people to experiment" with builds. Many players have real lives outside the game, and <1 week to not just reset, but also try out ships with the new skills to see how they fare in battle is woefully insufficient time for proper evaluation. 

In fact, the last time there was a reset offered (about 1 year ago when submarines were introduced), it was over a two week period: 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0119-submarines/

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NMA101 said:

This contradicts the stated purpose of "allowing people to experiment" with builds. Many players have real lives outside the game, and <1 week to not just reset, but also try out ships with the new skills to see how they fare in battle is woefully insufficient time for proper evaluation. 

In fact, the last time there was a reset offered (about 1 year ago when submarines were introduced), it was over a two week period: 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0119-submarines/

As is true with many companies...it's best to just ignore their sales pitch statements. There is no requirement that they be fully truthful, and so most indulge in outright fabrications.

That seems to be the case with this reset...which is the usual MO with WG, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The good news is a lot of the new skills weren't worth the bother to swap to. At least for me the only one I wanted to swap to was the Cruiser secondary skill on a few ships. I did those few ships and did take advantage of the reset to fix a couple Capt's (mostly BB's I wanted to add Brisk to). But for the most part 95%+ of my Capt's didn't need any changes. I considered the global reset just to have a clean slate across the board but when I looked at my hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of Capt's that would have to be redone I just said nah forget it. For someone who had a need for that global reset and missed it I feel bad for them as that sucks.

Most of my clan mate's ships in port are BB's. It matters some, but it's not hurting him in the pocket. He is a little ticked that he missed a free event.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:19 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Because this way WG could say they offered a free respec with minimal lost revenue in the form of paid resets. Remember that the devs also set up the in-game free individual resets as an opt-in, contrary to existing precedent where it was always simply automatically implemented in the game client.

They basically put in the minimum effort they thought the playerbase would let them get away with. This rollout was designed in a manner to make it easier to overlook/miss out on compared to past such events.

Edited by Nevermore135

15 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Because this way WG could say they offered a free respec with minimal lost revenue in the form of paid resets. Remember that the devs also set up the in-game free individual resets as an opt-in, contrary to existing precedent where it was always simply automatically implemented in the game client.

They basically put in the minimum effort they thought the playerbase would let them get away with. This rollout was designed in a manner to make it easier to overlook/miss out on compared to past such events.

We maybe also need to remember that this wasn't even intended as a global reset event. Seems the idea with the reset discount was that we would be limiting it to very few captains. Works well for those who do not have that many captains and ships, but I think veterans might run into trouble quickly and the week is a very short time since everyone still has other life to live as well, apart from WoWS. Though, as @AdmiralThunder  was saying, maybe there necessarily wasn't that much changes required. Still, would have been nice to make better use of it, because the opportunities are rarer these days than what used to be the case.

12 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

We maybe also need to remember that this wasn't even intended as a global reset event. Seems the idea with the reset discount was that we would be limiting it to very few captains. Works well for those who do not have that many captains and ships, but I think veterans might run into trouble quickly and the week is a very short time since everyone still has other life to live as well, apart from WoWS. Though, as @AdmiralThunder  was saying, maybe there necessarily wasn't that much changes required. Still, would have been nice to make better use of it, because the opportunities are rarer these days than what used to be the case.

There has still been no good reason provided for WG to make the individual resets opt-in, contrary to every other such event that has been run in the past.

The logical inference is that it was set up that way to result in less players utilizing it (either because they didn’t know about it our didn’t pay attention in-game) and thus reduce the impact of the event on revenue or resource depletion.

Edited by Nevermore135

12 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

There has still been no good reason provided for WG to make the individual resets opt-in, contrary to every other such event that has been run in the past.

The logical inference is that it was set up that way to result in less players utilizing it (either because they didn’t know about it our didn’t pay attention in-game) and thus reduce the impact of the event on revenue or resource depletion.

Uhm... not sure what you mean by opt in? You mean that the discount should become activated without having to press a cleverly concealed button on the website?

9 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Uhm... not sure what you mean by opt in? You mean that the discount should become activated without having to press a cleverly concealed button on the website?

Opt in - to choose to participate or be involved in something.

In past such events, in-game individual commander resets were set to free (0 doubloons) automatically. This event was the very first that required players to press an opt-in button in a news article to enable that functionality.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1