Editing options for members - Attachments

I_cant_Swim_

Effective immediately, members can remove attachments to free up space.

Context: The amount of space we have available per member is limited, and is determined in effect by our hosting plan. It is wise to post as few images as possible, and/or to reduce their resolution, to avoid running out of space. Under your profile tab (top right) is the option "My Attachments" which lists all the attachments you have uploaded and shows the proportion of your allotted quota that has been used up.

You can delete images and other attachments to free up space by clicking the marker box to the right and selecting the delete function that pops up.

Caution: Please be aware that your image is then removed, from everywhere it was used. Moderators will not be able to retrieve deleted images - these are permanently deleted. Deleting an image may also ruin the intention or value of the original post. You will be unable to edit the text of the post. Instead of the picture, a broken image or link will be seen. Please note that posts considered by moderators to have lost the intended value after deletion of attachments may be deleted in full.

If you are not sure about deleting an image or attachment, contact a moderator or administrator.

Access to the function may be removed at a later date, pending the outcome of its use.

• Thanks 3

There are alternative image hosting sites, aren't there? I don't use those myself and have no experience with them, or if they offer any space for free and what sort of service options they offer in general.

• Like 2

Yes there are. Imgur is one. Of course more involved sites means slower loading times, but for now if you have a lot of images to share that's probably the better way to go.

But I couldn't say I know how it works (cos I don't). Apparently you can open an account there for free, so I guess their revenue comes from ads. Maybe T-shirts too.

You can keep images private, or have them on display so everyone can laugh at you. 

• Like 2

After using-up my alotted upload space (a while ago) I've been inserting links to images instead of uploading images.

But, tonight, I learned that there is a space-limit to that activity, too.

Personally, I'd like the chance to edit posts to swap-out an "upload" for "an existing attachment" and by doing so reduce the space I'm utilizing.
But, long term, I'm going to have to create an account with an image hosting site and share links.

But, if the "sharing links" feature also has a limitation on the space, then I'm wondering what other options might exist, other than merely copy/pasting a link and hoping people will visit the link to see the image.  🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn’t aware of the sharing links limit. I can only think it means images, anyway. When you paste an image you paste in effect two images. Your image proper that you have saved on the system and the smaller thumbnail shown on the page, that only yields the big one when you click on it, When you only paste a link, you get the thumbnail calculated too, i guess. We have enough space at this rate to last about 4 years, so if i increase the allowed quota we run out earlier1. Which means we’ll need an upgraded hosting package at 2x the overall cost2.

1Based on early calculations that may be be inaccurate now and need to be redone. 2From my recollection, I may be off a bit.

Edited by I_cant_Swim_
clarification added
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I wasn’t aware of the sharing links limit. I can only think it means images, anyway. When you paste an image you paste in effect two images. Your image proper that you have saved on the system and the smaller thumbnail shown on the page, that only yields the big one when you click on it, When you only paste a link, you get the thumbnail calculated too, i guess. We have enough space at this rate to last about 4 years, so if i increase the allowed quota we run out earlier1. Which means we’ll need an upgraded hosting package at 2x the overall cost2.

1Based on early calculations that may be be inaccurate now and need to be redone. 2From my recollection, I may be off a bit.

Which brings up the related topic getting the DevStrike staffing and financial transparency capabilities up to snuff?

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Which brings up the related topic getting the DevStrike staffing and financial transparency capabilities up to snuff?

Yeah, I'm slooow as a slug. Setting up an NPO to take over stewardship, but it seems like it won't be able to take over the first year's bills (as they were incurred beforehand). So I figure the NPO sometime in the next 4 months, and just before that goes live I might pass a hat around. The NPO will be subject to dual accounting requirements, for the hat the best we can do is have staff verify the account used to turn off the flow as we approach the mark. I better eat all my veggies, because I want to have this done by the end of March, when I step down as CM.

6 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Yeah, I'm slooow as a slug. Setting up an NPO to take over stewardship, but it seems like it won't be able to take over the first year's bills (as they were incurred beforehand). So I figure the NPO sometime in the next 4 months, and just before that goes live I might pass a hat around. The NPO will be subject to dual accounting requirements, for the hat the best we can do is have staff verify the account used to turn off the flow as we approach the mark. I better eat all my veggies, because I want to have this done by the end of March, when I step down as CM.

Roger that.  Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.889f44744d6ce21d60e8033824324702.jpg