WoWs forum ranking - what do YOU see?

I_cant_Swim_

Note: I've replaced the original post, based on a search using my PC, with this far more interesting one.

Today, the 15th November 2023, using Mozilla Firefox and the Google search engine for the term “world of warships forum”, DevStrike! appears in 5th place1. Spots 3 and 4 are WGs defunct sites, so we are effectively in third place!2

🎉 Hurrah! 🎉

2nd place goes to Steam Community.

1st place goes to the German World of Warships Community Forum.

The German site is smaller than ours, but they’ve been around a bit longer. We may also need to work on improving our search engine optimization a bit. Still, congrats to our German friends, too! 🎉

What do you see when you search for "world of warships forum" or similar terms with your favorite search engine?

1 Edit: This is not a proper ranking check, of course. Not official, YMMV and all that. Parameters: Mozilla Firefox, Google search. Cache cleared, logged ouf of Devstrike.net. Not behind a VPN. EU-based. Same PC that I do a lot of DevStrike! work on, so regional, tracking, and search history settings will likely play a role. 2 On this list.

Edited by I_cant_Swim_
I'd prefer to know what YOU see
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

thanks! What search term did you use, and engine?

Same as you, "world of warships forum" and Firefox private browsing.

The real test is when we start showing up in topic searches, the same as the defunct official forums used to.

• Like 1

Microsoft/Bing search (also used by Yahoo) at number two in search using "world of warships forum" as search terms.

Latestinsecondforwebsearches.thumb.png.d6d7aa9658842c89cb90ddae7857f28e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brave Browser with integrated private Search: #21, very last on the 1st page.

Brave / Google.ie: #4 [forum shutdown / wows official / then steam, then devstrike]

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, thornzero said:

Brave Browser with integrated private Search: #21, very last on the 1st page.

Interesting. Most of the others are to various sections of the defunct WoWs forums?

5 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Interesting. Most of the others are to various sections of the defunct WoWs forums?

Not exactly, but sort of: [I missed a couple because the search is not just a typical list, it has sub sections at the beginning.]

Official and Steam Community

Discussions

Videos [Like Twitch or Deutsch mentioning the forums closing]

Reddit [forums closing]

Asia

Gamekit

Legends

WoT

Youtube [forums closing]

Official Asia

Reddit

Codeweavers

Reddit

Chrome Web Store

Sub_Octavian

Legends

Wows Official

German Forum

Devstrike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, mate. Deflates a bit, but good to know. Apart from raw traffic, optimization for search engines is a thing. I haven't gone there, yet, as I see it mostly as purely cosmetic, but I guess I should.

There's a bit of cover to every book...

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Thanks, mate. Deflates a bit, but good to know. Apart from raw traffic, optimization for search engines is a thing. I haven't gone there, yet, as I see it mostly as purely cosmetic, but I guess I should.

There's a bit of cover to every book...

The main thing I'm concerned is do the search engines currently index all of devstrike, meaning all the various sections and threads down to individual posts?

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The main thing I'm concerned is do the search engines currently index all of devstrike

I believe so. I have not activated any indexing services, everything I had administrative access to that involved 3rd party services I set to "off". This mainly to comply with EU data privacy concerns. The only way to keep the forum away from indexing is to prevent guest access. If folk can come in and read posts without registering, so can indexing crawler bots.

• Like 1