PSA. The free respecc period is about to expire!!

Andrewbassg

and I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't find more to do with it. I added the sec battery firing range extension to the Marseille and Puerto Rico, just for fun I guess, and made minor skill corrections to a couple of destroyers (didn't need the rework for that). Probably missed out on something somewhere, but oh well. A bird in hand...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

and I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't find more to do with it

Cruisers ALWAYS get the shortest stick of whatever Wedgie comes up with. IFHE rework, capt rework no 1, sub introduction, camo separation/ec rework no 1, ec rework no 2, and now cap rework no2.

Its not even funny, how obviously Wedgie hates 'em. 😞 

• Like 3

It was much too short a test period for the new skills. I can't say which build works better now.

For cruisers it was supposed to be simple: The secondary range works well on Napoli, Schröder and maybe Ägir. However this buff is pointless, since now you'd need a dedicated 21-pointer to get the full benefit out of it. Up to now, I used my Hindenburg-commander. One universal build worked perfectly on pretty much all german premium cruisers. "Perfectly" may be a bit of an overstatement, but since it was one commander for all, it was Lütjens. If I would change my commander on Schröder and Ägir now, to make use of the secondary buff, I would give up Lütjens' talents, which by themselves are as powerful as another 4 skill points. So on paper Schröder and Ägir should now be stronger, but without Lütjens, this new build would be a sidegrade at best.

Same goes for Napoli, which works reasonably well with my Sansonetti trained for Venezia. The range buff alone is worth 3 points.

So again, you don't just give up another 3-point skill, you give up the talents. Or you give up your unique commanders for other ships, which you may use as much. In my case that would affect: Hindenburg, Prinz Eugen, Mainz, München, Weimar, Venezia, Gorizia and Duca d'Aosta.

I don't even want to start thinking about the BBs: One more heal for 2M potential damage seems a no-brainer for dedicated high-tier BB-commanders, but again not so much, if you use the commander on multiple ships. IJN-BBs are pretty homogenous. If you use your unique Yamamoto-commander on the Yamato, as I do, you also use it on most other IJN-premium-BBs of similar flavor, that being Shikishima, Musashi, Ise and, if you have them, Hizen, and the event-Amagis and -Kongos. You will not tank 2M potential damage on mid tier BBs.

The dilemma is similar for all other survival-built BB-lines with a selection of premium versions or similarly specced premium ships.

So this rework is not as easily implemented for the user as WG might think. The test period is too short. There is not even a lot of tutorials about it available at this moment in time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The multiple dilemmas and discussion on (mainly) battleship commander skills, in an opinion that I agree with, means that the rework is a considerable success in mitigating the long-criticized problem of the dominance of no-brainer, cookie-cutter meta builds.

10 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

I don't even want to start thinking about the BBs: One more heal for 2M potential damage seems a no-brainer for dedicated high-tier BB-commanders, but again not so much, if you use the commander on multiple ships. IJN-BBs are pretty homogenous. If you use your unique Yamamoto-commander on the Yamato, as I do, you also use it on most other IJN-premium-BBs of similar flavor, that being Shikishima, Musashi, Ise and, if you have them, Hizen, and the event-Amagis and -Kongos. You will not tank 2M potential damage on mid tier BBs.

The dilemma is similar for all other survival-built BB-lines with a selection of premium versions or similarly specced premium ships.

Another example is the improvement of focus fire training turns the skill into a much more viable competitor (improves AA and can use the existence of enemy aerial threat to one's own advantage) with GtG and Swift in Silence.

3 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

In less then 24h on NA. EU has one full day in plus.

Thanks.  I just finished hitting the "reset all" button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

In less then 24h on NA. EU has one full day in plus.

Probably not for all but I actually took Potato Quality´s advice to change up my builds on Napoli (almost full secondary) 11 km SAP secondarys with insane accuracy and mega fast reload, but also most of my BB captains, freeing up an extra cap point for pretty much the same effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

Cruisers ALWAYS get the shortest stick of whatever Wedgie comes up with. IFHE rework, capt rework no 1, sub introduction, camo separation/ec rework no 1, ec rework no 2, and now cap rework no2.

Its not even funny, how obviously Wedgie hates 'em. 😞 

I somewhat agree with you, cruisers definitely has the nr 2 spot on the hated list after DDs. 

41 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The multiple dilemmas and discussion on (mainly) battleship commander skills, in an opinion that I agree with, means that the rework is a considerable success in mitigating the long-criticized problem of the dominance of no-brainer, cookie-cutter meta builds.

Another example is the improvement of focus fire training turns the skill into a much more viable competitor (improves AA and can use the existence of enemy aerial threat to one's own advantage) with GtG and Swift in Silence.

I never criticized no-brainer meta builds. First of all, most players don't use their brains, so no-brainer skills are a good way of making working builds somewhat conveniently accessible to the majority of the players. The alternative is that, like with my module-thread, we'll talk about builds soon, and most players will say they can't be bothered, and most of you will agree.

Second, right now I can't get into any special map without half the team whining about getting that map, cause it doesn't suit their ship's playstyle. So, the more situational builds become, the more the win depends on luck, i.e. how much the sum of situational builds in a team suits the situation of the battle, rather than the sum of individual player skill. I don't subscribe to that driving factor. I want to be beaten by skill, not equipment.

And third, I find the idea ridiculously stupid to design a skill that makes enemy playstyles situational. Before the rework, dutch cruisers were already nothing to write home about. Now their airstrike may even work against them. They try to strike an enemy BB close to destruction and instead of the reasonable assumption of getting a perma-fire, they now shorten it's cooldown to the next heal and DCP, allowing it to extinguish the fire immediately and gain strength from the airstrike. So the one defining skill of dutch cruisers has just become an attack now requiring careful consideration. Plus I hear Potato Quality telling people to focus the wrong sector on ASW planes, so, instead of shooting the mdown quickly, thus helping the friendly submarine next to you not get sunk, you can farm the shorter consumable cooldown for longer. How selfish and illogical is that?

33 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yeah right. The button, so for the next 6 months, whenever I pick a ship for the first time, my division mates bully me to hurry up, cause I'll have to look up a build or make a hasty choice, probably worse than what I'd do now. This is all not practical but just caters to WGs dumb greed of getting a few bucks out of people paying to respec commanders from tomorrow on.

Edited by HMS_Kilinowski

Isn't the aspect that you can get some positive buff from a negative situation already here with the adrenaline rush skill and "HP bar-Adrenaline management", and by attacking and damaging an enemy in any means would possibly give him a RoF buff?

My attitude is to accept the fact that the meta is here and a player alone will and can not change it. So I build FdG as "Freistaat" of main battery-RoF build, Spanish cruisers with both range and Eye in the Sky spotter and assign all brawlers effectively to modes that they will shine and would be able to play in their advantageous situations.

If anyone claim that he/she can't be bothered, the traditional cookie-cutter builds would still work just fine. So why are you opposing a positive change that have brought variety into game?

40 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I was originally going to do this since if I hadn't made a list of the commanders I wanted to respec regardless of the free respec event. As it turns out, most of the improved skills are geared toward BBs, and I haven't worked much of that class yet. I've made the changes to those I've had on my list and also to my Napoli. Speaking of which, I would like to get Sansonetti. Is it possible to buy one of the Italian collection containers in order to start the collection that gives him as a reward?

• Like 1

What I've done is reset my commanders and then select one or two 10 or 14-point commanders to experiment with.  Once I have a good idea what I intend to do with the skills as they sit, I will start selecting on each commander as I play them.  This keeps open the option to change my builds on the important commanders past the deadline while giving XP time to my commanders who need advancement. It also challenges me to play with basic/non-optimized commanders again.

• Like 2

Ive made a very few changes on cruisers, and redone some other builds I had intended to change anyway. The main change I have made is to change some BBs to a build along the lines of the Furious builds described by PQ in his build video, and to produce about three or four options of builds for the Premium BBs of US, Germany, UK, and Russia. Today will probably consider some alt builds for IJN BBs as well. 

I've decided to hold what I got.  I've de-spec'd a few captains but stopped when I accepted the fact I had no sensible plan and I'm not in a good position to make one.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, yss_turtleship said:

Is it possible to buy one of the Italian collection containers in order to start the collection that gives him as a reward?

Sansonetti is available in the form of Resolute and Rapid collection containers. However elements of the said collection is only available in the said containers, so a number of containers would have to be bought.

3 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

I want to be beaten by skill, not equipment.

Ah, then you are playing the wrong game my friend. Equipment plays a big part...as you know...and our host makes money selling equipment.

So, it's a free2play game with an unequal playing field...which means much of the playerbase disdains competitive advantage and just dicks around and has fun...because they already know the truth that skill isn't determinant enough to focus on winning...and there will always be the few 'equipment rich' guys who will abuse them...so why bother with focusing on winning?

Cause -> Effect

The above perception by most players means most players treat the game as a joke...and so the game is a joke.

• Bored 1

3 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

This is all not practical but just caters to WGs dumb greed of getting a few bucks out of people paying to respec commanders from tomorrow on.

Exactly correct.

• Bored 1

I just reset ALL my commanders and will rebuild at my leisure.

Does this mean I play less matches than I would have had the changes not been made?

Yep.

Is that WGs fault?

Entirely.

• Bored 1

I hadn't actually noticed what the changes were. Given that most of my captains are 10-12pt'ers I doubt it matters.

10 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Does this mean I play less matches than I would have had the changes not been made?

Yep.

Why?

10 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Is that WGs fault?

No, it's yours. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Why?

No, it's yours. 

I spend more time outside the game deciding on and then building the ship captain and modules.

It is WGs fault, as the way they setup the change meant that we players would need to do some captain maintenance as a direct result of the event.

This is not a bad thing...just an inevitable result of the change.

I find it amusing that people want WG to not take responsibility for anything in game...when a healthy and successful company would want to take responsibility for as much as possible about the game.

You and WG can blame me for not playing enough...and I will laugh at the silliness of expecting me to do the bidding of people who attack me.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

6 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

and I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't find more to do with it. I added the sec battery firing range extension to the Marseille and Puerto Rico, just for fun I guess, and made minor skill corrections to a couple of destroyers (didn't need the rework for that). Probably missed out on something somewhere, but oh well. A bird in hand...

Well; didn't even do the reset.

In a way; it's a huge pita, when the UI does a popup every time you take another ('new') ship into battle, saying you have no skills.

• Like 1