What is your favorite destroyer and why?

kriegerfaust

I like the Somers class, a premium which means good economy, long lasting smoke and hard-hitting long-range torps even if they are slow to reload, good number of guns and health pool, but almost no AA, Good for cutting down other destroyers and taking out battleships with its torps which can be shotgun blasted or thrown in spurts.

destroyer_somers_02_1280h720_454a2457d04

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Khabarovsk, a CL that trades radar for an afterburner and a 50mm energy shield. Khabarovsk also has surprisingly good AA for a T10 DD; it's only her torps and rudder that's lacking.

• Like 2

Damn. You're asking a difficult question.

Statistically speaking, it would be Asashio. However, those statistics are from a much older meta and it wouldn't be true in the current meta any longer. For a time, when I was still playing high tier randoms, it would have been collectively the following DD's, mostly: Shimakaze and Halland, and Harekaze.

• Like 2

shima/kitakazePR (because she is beautiful)or asashio? damn it. I love JP dd&trop toomuch

Edited by Kawaii_shirasu_azusa
  • Like 3

Why just one???   I like a lot of them!!!

If I had to (at gunpoint)... probably Cossack or Kidd, they are just so good all-rounders

• Like 3

OP's question requires more context...

I need to know Tier and mode....or at least mode.

But if you leave it to me to pick mode and tier then .... some of the most DD fun I've had ....  Too bad WG mucked it up by forcing it (arms race) into randoms...

Think I got well over 3k base on this game... which is much tougher to get these days after the XP scoring nerf...

Edited by YouSatInGum

31 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Why just one???   I like a lot of them!!!

If I had to (at gunpoint)... probably Cossack or Kidd, they are just so good all-rounders

In that case Loyang is a spectacular all rounder. Cruiser hydro and USN 5/38s with American Smoke: brutal...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

In that case Loyang is a spectacular all rounder. Cruiser hydro and USN 5/38s with American Smoke: brutal...

Buffed Z35 with identical hydro to Loyang is now the better cap contester...

Of course I always gravitate to gun boats...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

I like Loyang too, but I found there are nowadays too many other gunboats you don't really want to meet face to face... it depends too much on her smoke/hydro trick in order to win DD vs DD fights. Imo, it lacks firepower... Kidd gets by because the heals help you outlast the other guy, Loyang without her trick is too weak for her intended role.

I like the whole US tech tree line. At each level they aren't particuarly the best, but they are solid, reliable all-rounders. Decent guns, decent torps, good aa, great smoke.

• Like 4

As others have alluded to, it depends an awful lot on things like mode and tier.

• Last I checked, Asashio was my most played DD in Randoms, but most of that was way back when she was new and the meta was rather different (I was also still playing Randoms then).
  • I like Smaland a lot for PvP, especially Ranked, as she's a pretty decent DD hunter - makes you pretty influential if you do it right (which, I don't with distressing frequency).
  • Vampire II is great - T10 Haida (more or less); can't go wrong with that.
  • Haida, of course, is fantastic for T7; great DD hunter, and sneaky enough that not having access to the concealment module matters much less (shame about Huron in that regard). Also - Mighty Secondaries™ - fear me!
  • Since I withdrew from Randoms, I've been worrying less about stealth, and more about lots of alpha and plenty of dakka; in that context, Marceau is pretty awesome.
  • Besides them, Orkan, Lo Yangs, and Cossacks will also all be big favourites (Kidd too, come to that)...
  • Like 3

Mahan.

Highest DPM at her tier, can farm BBs with IFHE (Jervis/Gadjah cannot), has good range on the torps, and at Tier 7 she's not going to face many radars, so those smokes are actually useful.

Honorable mentions: Oland, Marceau, Udaloi.

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 5

I've been having a ton-o-fun in the T5 Mutsuki lately. Love the 98 concealment and fast reload on 8km torps. Only 2 guns though, so that's a bit of a buzz killer.

• Like 2

I only DD in Co-op. I have different go to ones for various tasks but if I was to pick a single all around fav it would probably be Benham. Lots of fast reloading torps rules Co-op.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My favorite must be Somers since she has the most XP (just over 3 mil) in all of my ships.  Used in Ranked mostly (most battles in Ranked in all of my ships).

• Like 2

Al Yukikaze.

I love concealment 5,4km, you can get close and personal.

I love ultra fast torps with ultra amazing damage.

Guns have slow reload but they hit hard.

Unfortunatly he is really bad when paired against tier 10 but in its tier its amazing.

Love it.

Feel like a ninja with a hammer.

• Like 2

Mogador, mostly because it doesn't give a toss about radar or concealment and is more than suitable for open-water gunboating and getting away with it, even when targeted by multiple enemies.

• Like 1

I gotta say my most played DD, where I gotten best rewards, 2 Solo warriors, a T8 that couldn't care less about facing T10 and then just crap on them all ...... Asashio!

If you master the IJN DD torp Ninjas you can have amazing games in her, if youre a mediocre torp DD player she can be challanging. Have a full playlist of games in her on my channel. Amazing little boat.

Lately I most enjoy playing 2 gimmicky T10 DDs. Range build Sherman that can make an entire flank turn around and run .... no one wants to have that ships attention. And my newest ... Vampire 2, great cap contester and fire starter. Bullies other DDs out and controls the area.

• Like 1

Friesland...

...but mostly as a killer of the Paolo Emilio guys...or in ranked.

I dislike the damage farm play style of many DD captains, and instead play positioning and vision control games.

My average damage output is lower than most, but I still have a positive win rate.

I'm going up the tech tree lines of a number of gunboat and hybrid DDs now...but this is a slow process, as I don't get much time to play.

I'm sure I'll find different / better.

• Like 1

I have tied for two:

I can sum my reasoning for the following with two words: dakka dakka

tr2vbrw7r2p91.thumb.webp.1bcab586ec353463b315f4b8cb9e37da.webp

The tied choice goes to Elbing, she's so punchy with those guns and its so satisfying to catch a CL/CA by surprise and blow out their citadels. She's unique in that and very unconventional in her class.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I like Loyang too, but I found there are nowadays too many other gunboats you don't really want to meet face to face... it depends too much on her smoke/hydro trick in order to win DD vs DD fights. Imo, it lacks firepower... Kidd gets by because the heals help you outlast the other guy, Loyang without her trick is too weak for her intended role.

Until she lands a torpedo. Loyang, along with USN DDs have been relegated to the universal DD role thanks to French and IJn Gunboat DDs.