To cap or not to cap,that is the question

Kawaii_shirasu_azusa

In today's increasingly complex environment,  most normal DDs (except Elbin and someone)  cap in random mode has become a multiple-choice question.

have to reiterate that playing random mode alone is just like playing in a single player game.

cap? or don't cap kill all?

Edited by Kawaii_shirasu_azusa

32 minutes ago, Kawaii_shirasu_azusa said:

To cap or not to cap,that is the question
In today's increasingly complex environment,  most normal DDs (except Elbin and someone)  cap in random mode has become a multiple-choice question.

have to reiterate that playing random mode alone is just like playing in a single player game.

spacer.png

• Like 3

In general, from the PoV of an average player, were I to compliment myself somewhat, the answer to this question is something you will know only once you have tried and... well either succeeded, or failed.

Caps can decide the battle, but I don't even bother to count how many times my team has capped all the caps there are and lost the battle. From this follows, that I consider it more important to deny enemy capping rather than throw a ship in an unsuccessful attempt. For me it's best to cap if there are no enemy DD's (or subs God forbid) in the vicinity. I've learned to give up the capping attempt when this turns out not to be the case.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kawaii_shirasu_azusa said:

Cap once the enemy DD has been bent over and pounded. Otherwise try and fight him while getting his support ships killed.

• Like 5

I was told once a cap is not worth dying over.

What I notice is if the opposing DD is a bit stronger; I go near the cap but not in it. Typically, their support will focus me down as a DD which is what is supposed to happen, I just wish my team would figure that out and focus on their DD also. By waiting on the cap a little longer, if I don't get noticed, I will usually get the cap eventually and keep it once their DD is at long last, dead. 

Spotting damage will tell you if you have support or not. o/1ooo no support. Sometimes I get 4ok-7ok and I realise the support is real.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 8:43 AM, thornzero said:

I was told once a cap is not worth dying over.

What I notice is if the opposing DD is a bit stronger; I go near the cap but not in it. Typically, their support will focus me down as a DD which is what is supposed to happen, I just wish my team would figure that out and focus on their DD also. By waiting on the cap a little longer, if I don't get noticed, I will usually get the cap eventually and keep it once their DD is at long last, dead. 

Spotting damage will tell you if you have support or not. o/1ooo no support. Sometimes I get 4ok-7ok and I realise the support is real.

If their DD is a bit stronger, well it really depends how it's stronger than your ship. But yeah it's safest to rely on ambushes, team support and other factors to help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

If their DD is a bit stronger, well it really depends how it's stronger than your ship. But yeah it's safest to rely on ambushes, team support and other factors to help.

If I am in a gun/hybrid boat, I am checking artillery and concealment. The truth is, it is not safest to rely on team support because it is often not there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thornzero said:

If I am in a gun/hybrid boat, I am checking artillery and concealment. The truth is, it is not safest to rely on team support because it is often not there.

Yup. I'm still surprised by this at times, I also notice often in these situations that the red team DD does not have this 'issue'.

And.. welcome aboard as well!

• Like 2

Thank you kindly. Yes, I agree, red seems to get it when green doesn't.

I enjoyed the old forums for a short time and was sad to see them go. It was barely a discord post that helped me discover DevStrike but I am quite glad it was organized. There was a ton of help and explanations and some of them are gravitating over to here which is ideal. 

Cheers to you.

• Thanks 1

Late to the thread but I'll post my thoughts.

You should always play with the ultimate goal of securing the cap and everything you do should in some way contribute to that. If I'm playing something with poor concealment like a Marceau, either I'll stay out of the cap and try to spot supporting ships, or I'll use island cover to ambush the destroyer in the cap. If I'm in a hybrid with respectable concealment and firepower like a Gearing, then I'll just reverse into the cap and continue if I can win the gunfight, otherwise accelerate out. If I'm in a pure torpboat like Shima, I'd just stay outside of the cap and again, spot and torpedo the supporting ships. Only actually try and fully capture the cap when you know it's safe to do so. 

There isn't really a catch all answer to this as it varies heavily depending on matchmaker and what DD you're up against, but hopefully this will help you. 

• Like 3