Where DO you aim in World of Warships?

Admiral_Karasu

Let's pretend I'm a noob (please pretend harder), and I was wondering how to aim in World of Warships, what do you make of these instructions I spotted on a website while doing a guuguru search.

• If they straightline, you should aim following their waterline, which is often diagonal, in which case you should add a vertical correction.
  • If they're turning away from you, you aim a bit lower than the correction.
  • If they're turning towards you, you aim a bit higher.

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/game-pedia/can-you-party-up-in-world-of-warships

When dealing with low levels... it just works.However, some high-level players pointed out that they should aim according to the direction of the ship's bow and predict the target's movement.I followed the latter.But more often than not, I will give the lead time mechanically(such as 22-24kmBB 15scales|some float dd  7-10km 15~20scales my favorite smolensk extreme range 15scales

It should be pointed out that the method provided in the above text is too simplified and does not take into account certain situations that require precise hitting of certain parts.(Such as attacking superstructures and igniting fire points everywhere)

Also, these questions are ready-made jokes that I found in the original articleimage.png.1cc1e5b415d1c16d1e9c7de023c845c3.pngimage.png.16202c27b5ee2150ad3940a3cb6b61e2.pngimage.png.7deddcc3e4bfb61030e8c3d3e4f42cd2.pngimage.png.5018480f49a11b5dfe7f3dbf9731ab84.png

I'm sure the answers to these questions seem to have to be answered after you become a counterexample...

Edited by Kawaii_shirasu_azusa

1 minute ago, Kawaii_shirasu_azusa said:

When dealing with low levels... this actually works.However, some high-level players pointed out that they should aim according to the direction of the ship's bow and predict the target's movement.I followed the latter.But more often than not, I will give the lead time mechanically(such as 22-24kmBB 15scales|some float dd  7-10km 15~20scales my favorite smolensk extreme range 15scales

Are you talking about the static or the dynamic crosshair? I originally used the static, then switched over to the dynamic, but now I'm back to using the static again. I just wish I could actually do the calculations instead of having to rely on some mitochlorine concept like gut instinct. I mean something more like proper Zeiss optics or something.

The use of dynamic crosshairs is not recommended as it is not conducive to developing aiming habits.

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Are you talking about the static or the dynamic crosshair? I originally used the static, then switched over to the dynamic, but now I'm back to using the static again. I just wish I could actually do the calculations instead of having to rely on some mitochlorine concept like gut instinct. I mean something more like proper Zeiss optics or something.

No.7 static.

When I once again killed an American battleship with a 460mm shell that crushed 32mm armor, a Spider-Man jumped off the ship and shot a spider web in my face, so I have been using this Accurate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Let's pretend I'm a noob (please pretend harder), and I was wondering how to aim in World of Warships, what do you make of these instructions I spotted on a website while doing a guuguru search.

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/game-pedia/can-you-party-up-in-world-of-warships

Aim at where the target "will be" when the projectiles arrive.

Observe their smoke trails, to help estimate their speed.
Observe their ship (and the mini-map) to determine their course.

If target is sailing towards my ship, I adjust my aim "lower" (at the water in front of their ship, for example) so that when their ship arrives at that spot the projectiles will arrive at that spot (at the same time) and score a hit.
If the target is sailing away, I adjust my aim "higher" to account for their movement in that direction.

An ideal shot would impact just above the waterline at the center of a broadsided hull (unless I'm aiming for something specific, such as their secondary battery guns or a main-gun turret) which is fired relative to the target's port or starboard.

Example: 
spacer.png
1.  The target is at the center of an old-fashioned clock face, and is sailing towards the 12 o'clock position on the clock face.
2.  My ship is firing from either the 3 o'clock or the 9 o'clock position on the clock face.
3.  If I aim well, my shots will impact the center of the broadside of the target.

"But", you say, "the real-world is not always an ideal situation."
That is true.
So, when the situation is less-than-ideal, we shall have to compensate.

If I am at the 5 o'clock position and the target is at the 1 o'clock position and sailing away from me, then I'll aim slightly forward and slightly higher than the tip of the target's bow to account for their forward movement.

For more information, and the illustration of the principles involved, I suggest reading the linked document, and adapting the illustrations from pages 29 to 36 to suit hulls in World of Warships.
"Engage Moving Targets"
https://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Portals/207/Docs/wtbn/MPMS/0300-M16-1017_ENGAGE_MOVING_THREATS_Media.pdf?ver=2015-06-15-122248-243

Edited to add:
spacer.png
Sourced from https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-68/c04.htm

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The decision to use dynamic or static crosshairs really comes down to the individual player preference.  I know exceptionally good players who use static, and I know exceptionally good players who use dynamic.  In the end, it takes practice.  No one type or style of crosshair will instantly make you better.

@iChase and Potato Quality have some excellent tutorials to teach anyone wanting to improve their aiming skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I only use static, so maybe i'm misreading something here.  Is the poster saying to aim -lower- on a target going away from you and -higher- on a target closing you?  That sounds like the exact opposite of what common sense about leading your target is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

I only use static, so maybe i'm misreading something here.  Is the poster saying to aim -lower- on a target going away from you and -higher- on a target closing you?  That sounds like the exact opposite of what common sense about leading your target is.

@Wolfswetpawshas it correct.  Aim higher if turning away since range is increasing.  Lower if turning toward you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

I interpreted it to be a typographical error or an editing/proof-reading issue.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

That's how I understood it as well. Are we missing something or is that just an error and meant to say the opposite?

3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I interpreted it to be a typographical error or an editing/proof-reading issue.

A very sloppy one at that.

• Like 1

Yuro's video with the Erie is both entertaining and an educational depiction of aiming and the impacts.
The basics are learned in Tier-1 game-play, eh?  🙂 

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yuro's video with the Erie is both entertaining and an educational depiction of aiming and the impacts.

Well yes but.... then you move onto tier 4, 5 and onwards... will the basics hold up?

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Understanding Colorful Firewire()

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well yes but.... then you move onto tier 4, 5 and onwards... will the basics hold up?

image_2023-09-15_085216110.thumb.png.d28eaf97d2233c51750e19e71cb96aa6.png

Sure, at higher tiers the distances between firing ship and the target may increase, and so will the "flight times" of the projectiles involved.
So, the "principles" remain the same, but as a target's speed and distance increase, so also will the aiming-ahead increase as a consequence.

Enclosed are some of the illustrations I've created over the years.  Hope they're helpful.

Dispersion, illustrated.
DispersionillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.png.c86210b3d176f9ad27845a97274604b4.png

The one below illustrates the difference between slow and fast traveling projectiles.
Floatyprojectilescomparedtonon-floatyprojectilesillustration_05-30-2022_.thumb.jpg.f20f9338dd0ede59f0548e76bb1d8e05.jpg  

Smoke trails
Smoketrailshelpdetermineshipspeedanddirection_09-05-2022_.thumb.jpg.119cef14dda1ec4a1536651bf860e7d1.jpg
Torpedo attack illustrated.  But, the concept involves "aiming where the target will be".
  TorpedoattackrunforBattleshipIseandhertorpedoplanescrudelyillustrated_01-06-2022_.thumb.jpg.08e2a7da44c0e5ba5f7cd82fc3742342.jpg  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

what do you make of these instructions I spotted on a website while doing a guuguru search.

To me, they look as useful as nipples on a breastplate

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

image_2023-09-15_085216110.thumb.png.d28eaf97d2233c51750e19e71cb96aa6.png

Sure, at higher tiers the distances between firing ship and the target may increase, and so will the "flight times" of the projectiles involved.
So, the "principles" remain the same, but as a target's speed and distance increase, so also will the aiming-ahead increase as a consequence.

Enclosed are some of the illustrations I've created over the years.  Hope they're helpful.

Dispersion, illustrated.
DispersionillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.png.c86210b3d176f9ad27845a97274604b4.png

The one below illustrates the difference between slow and fast traveling projectiles.
Floatyprojectilescomparedtonon-floatyprojectilesillustration_05-30-2022_.thumb.jpg.f20f9338dd0ede59f0548e76bb1d8e05.jpg  

Smoke trails
Smoketrailshelpdetermineshipspeedanddirection_09-05-2022_.thumb.jpg.119cef14dda1ec4a1536651bf860e7d1.jpg
Torpedo attack illustrated.  But, the concept involves "aiming where the target will be".
  TorpedoattackrunforBattleshipIseandhertorpedoplanescrudelyillustrated_01-06-2022_.thumb.jpg.08e2a7da44c0e5ba5f7cd82fc3742342.jpg  

I thought aiming and pinging were mutually exclusive?

Smoke trails and bow waves tell you something about target speed, but the problem with WoWS is that the ships are equipped with power steering and anti-locking brakes that give them the ability to change course or halt speed in under a second or so. Plus there seems to be the persisting discrepancy between the angle indicated by the visual interface and/or the crosshair and where the ship actually is heading. On some videos, I've seen people aim higher, in a sense, than what I would be aiming at when you have an angled ship as an approaching target.

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I thought aiming and pinging were mutually exclusive?

Smoke trails and bow waves tell you something about target speed, but the problem with WoWS is that the ships are equipped with power steering and anti-locking brakes that give them the ability to change course or halt speed in under a second or so. Plus there seems to be the persisting discrepancy between the angle indicated by the visual interface and/or the crosshair and where the ship actually is heading. On some videos, I've seen people aim higher, in a sense, than what I would be aiming at when you have an angled ship as an approaching target.

Some of the phenomena you describe are dependent upon the aiming reticle chosen by the player (dynamic compared with static), and some are affected by less-than-perfect modeling of aiming and ballistics by the game.  (The famous "aiming bug", glitch, for example.)

And some of the "quirks" can be compensated for by learning through trial & error and a lot of practice & experience.

For me, most of the time I take my "real world" marksmanship experience and apply it to the situations in-game, and tweak or adjust my behavior according to what I've learned via trial & error experiences in-game.

Aiming a few boat-lengths ahead of a fast high-tier DD in a manner that means I won't see the hull when I zoom-in with my cross-hair is *entertaining*.  🙂  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

On some videos, I've seen people aim higher, in a sense, than what I would be aiming at when you have an angled ship as an approaching target.

Now, you are entering a whole different dynamic of the game and why there is a pretty steep learning curve for players.  Things such as overmatch, shell ballistic characteristics, angle, armor, etc., all come into play.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

that give them the ability to change course or halt speed in under a second or so.

Sure, if they're looking at you.  🙂 
Observe their turrets and sometimes you'll see they're looking at someone else's ship.
Which may provide you with an opportunity.

Ships performing a turn suffer a loss of speed as a consequence.
If they're doing a turn that you can predict, and they're going slower, you may catch them with a well-aimed shot.

• Thanks 1

Postmodernjukebox Wiggle - Vintage 1920s Broadway Jason Derulo Cover feat. Robyn Adele Anderson
"Wiggle"

If you're being targeted, then maneuver in ways that make it more difficult for an opponent to aim at you.  🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

This seems ok but also I'd add not firing off all your guns at once, also making sure that when you fire and they dodge to see what direction they dodge into so you can correct your aim for that next salvo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

My best tips are:

1. Use Horizon sight in mods, its good to estimate leads

2. Best tip I think I ever gotten was to expand the minimap to max with some transparity, so you can see what you aim at there and then use the small aim circle there and put it on direction line from targeted ship, because 8 times out of 1o when you Guesstimate aiming in the game you will see that the circle on the minimap is off target, and its where you have the circle your shots will go.

So for me leading BBs that are way of is pretty spot on if you put the circle just in front of the ship on the minimap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

My best tips are:

1. Use Horizon sight in mods, its good to estimate leads

2. Best tip I think I ever gotten was to expand the minimap to max with some transparity, so you can see what you aim at there and then use the small aim circle there and put it on direction line from targeted ship, because 8 times out of 1o when you Guesstimate aiming in the game you will see that the circle on the minimap is off target, and its where you have the circle your shots will go.

So for me leading BBs that are way of is pretty spot on if you put the circle just in front of the ship on the minimap.

Thanks. The trouble with the circle-on-the-minimap method for me is that it is a little too volatile, and trying to coordinate my hand and eye movement seems to be a challenge too.

Now... what do you mean by 'Horizon sight'?