I have to stop the machines talking their language code, or is it an infection?

Tpaktop2_1 NA

🤬 First it was the refrigerator, then the oven, then the dishwasher, then the toilets, then the freezer, then the dryer, and the last holdout is the washing machine.  All of this in the past three months. I had to buy a new refrigerator (11 years old), oven (16 years old), and new toilets. The toilets were an ADA issue. The rest I have managed to fix with parts from the internet, bubble gum, and grit. I have to isolate the washing machine 🤞 from either the infection or from talking to the other appliances. I got to get out of this appliance hell I am in. The good thing is the dryer the most easiest to work on. I don't understand why they, the appliances, want me to become the Maytag repair man. It is crazy on the money I have spent lately to fix the items in my house. WTFrankincense

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

🤬 First it was the refrigerator, then the oven, then the dishwasher, then the toilets, then the freezer, then the dryer, and the last holdout is the washing machine.  All of this in the past three months. I had to buy a new refrigerator (11 years old), oven (16 years old), and new toilets. The toilets were an ADA issue. The rest I have managed to fix with parts from the internet, bubble gum, and grit. I have to isolate the washing machine 🤞 from either the infection or from talking to the other appliances. I got to get out of this appliance hell I am in. The good thing is the dryer the most easiest to work on. I don't understand why they, the appliances, want me to become the Maytag repair man. It is crazy on the money I have spent lately to fix the items in my house. WTFrankincense

We all feel your pain.  Without going whole hog tinfoil hat, I'd recommend avoiding things that have circuit boards that don't need circuit boards... Like washing machines, ovens, etc.  The bells and whistles that come from the shiny displays aren't worth it and put an "end date" on something that should last decades.

It's amazing how gratefully analog I've gotten after spending years in Technology...  Even boating, there's nothing so nice as having the engine off and the wind in your sails...

Fair winds and following seas!

• Like 3

🥳 I got the dryer fixed. It took about 5 hours with the parts and cleaning that had to be done. With the seals gone, lint gets everywhere. Glad that's off my check list.

• Like 3

The machines are telling you: 1111 0000 1111 1111 😜

Arcus has a point. There's no reason to overcomplicate things when it comes to household appliances.

Especially toilets:

"Open the pod bay door, Hal."

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. My cleanliness is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Haha 3

I went through this last year, washer and dryer (we estimate they were at least 25 years old so no complaints), both gave up the ghost within a week of each other, preceded by the pellet stove (about 10 years old) and the oil furnace (about 20 years old) 6 months prior to this. New washer dryer combo $1800, new pellet stove $4000 and a new heatpump system with 3 mini splits kicking out 18000 BTU of heating/cooling $8000. My retirement lump sum from my UK pension was very dented by this and a couple of other things. Although we should be all set for quite a few years to come.

• Sad 1

A word about the heat pumps, I honestly can't recommend them highly enough. The summer we got them installed was the first summer we have ever been 100% comfortable in our house with respect to temperature and humidity. From July through to the start of Fall our house was kept a constant 70F. Our electric bill actually went down from the previous years bills where we ran two, sometimes three window shakers when it got really hot and humid. I live in Maine and our highest monthly bill was January-February, about $350. Sounds a lot, but if we had been operating with the oil furnace the cost would have been closer to $650, just for heating and hot water. For the pellet stove on its own it would have been $450 just for heating. There is less upkeep and no mess. Even thinking about converting our water heater to a heat pump system this coming summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dmnit. The PU Truck transmission went out on me. At times like these makes me think of Job. Granted, I have not gone thru what Job has gone through. But Dang it! I wonder who I pissed off?

Edited by Tpaktop2_1 NA

My car (2016 Kia Soul, base model, 1.6L 6-speed manual transmission), went into "limp mode", last night.
Now I've got to get the code(s) scanned to see what's going on.  Might be an isolated mis-fire.  Might have been an air-filter left in place too long.  Might be a dirty mass-airflow-sensor.  I don't know yet.