Jump to content

Sub ping indicator too short


MysticalWar

Recommended Posts

  • HogHammer changed the title to Sub ping indicator too short
1 hour ago, MysticalWar said:

I think there needs to be a longer duration timer between sonar pings for subs.

Are you referring to how often the sub can ping or the duration of the ping indicator a player sees near the approximate area/location of the sub?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MysticalWar said:

I think there needs to be a longer duration timer between sonar pings for subs.

Just wait until you come across a really good sub driver who never pings you. Pings work against the sub more than they do for them.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Are you referring to how often the sub can ping or the duration of the ping indicator a player sees near the approximate area/location of the sub?

Yeah the time it takes for the ping to get your ship is too fast and more cooldown needed for the sonar option button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MysticalWar said:

Yeah the time it takes for the ping to get your ship is too fast and more cooldown needed for the sonar option button.

Speed of sound in water? 

Quote

water’s high density partly offsets its extreme incompressibility and sound travels at 1,493m/s, 
https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/how-fast-does-sound-travel-through-water


Actual WOWs ping velocity varies somewhat from submarine to submarine in-game.
The "ping velocity" can be found by looking at the equipment of a submarine in-game, if I recall correctly.

That said, every ping emitted provides a clue for opposing players to utilize in their efforts to locate and sink a submarine.
Careful and wise timing of one's Damage Control Party to clear a ping when combined with proper maneuvers of a ship may allow one to evade torpedoes.
Simply sailing behind an island is an evasion and may not require the use of DCP.

Of course, savvy submarine players will be observing your ship just as any other savvy player would.
If they notice that you've recently put-out some fires with the use of a DCP, they may time their attack to hit you when you're unable to immediately stop the flooding with the use of a DCP.  And other players would do the same, in principle, via their fire-starting or flood-inducing ordnance, in order to overwhelm an opponent's ship by damaging it faster than the ship can control or repair the damage.

Good play is not over-powered.  🙂 
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Speed of sound in water? 


Actual WOWs ping velocity varies somewhat from submarine to submarine in-game.
The "ping velocity" can be found by looking at the equipment of a submarine in-game, if I recall correctly.

That said, every ping emitted provides a clue for opposing players to utilize in their efforts to locate and sink a submarine.
Careful and wise timing of one's Damage Control Party to clear a ping when combined with proper maneuvers of a ship may allow one to evade torpedoes.
Simply sailing behind an island is an evasion and may not require the use of DCP.

Of course, savvy submarine players will be observing your ship just as any other savvy player would.
If they notice that you've recently put-out some fires with the use of a DCP, they may time their attack to hit you when you're unable to immediately stop the flooding with the use of a DCP.  And other players would do the same, in principle, via their fire-starting or flood-inducing ordnance, in order to overwhelm an opponent's ship by damaging it faster than the ship can control or repair the damage.

Good play is not over-powered.  🙂 
 

Thanks for information I find its best to wait or survive until the sub is forced to surface, then sink it

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2023 at 3:49 AM, MysticalWar said:

I think there needs to be a longer duration timer between sonar pings for subs.

 

On 11/10/2023 at 5:26 AM, Type_93 said:

Just wait until you come across a really good sub driver who never pings you. Pings work against the sub more than they do for them.  

This!

The fast ping ability actually works against sub players and for the other players. The fact that most inexperienced sub players spam pings like lunatics gives the victims a small chance of predicting the subs movement and get a hit in with plane ASWs.

This is just another thing I like about the U-4501, which if im not mistaken, has some of the longer ping cooldowns in the game, so it works for the Sub player. 

And as mentioned. Really great sub players never even ping, they either send long range un-pinged homing torps against predicted grey lines or go really close and personal (looking at Gato players here) and just NUKE you from full HP with regular nuclear torps, without you or anyone else ever knowing he was even there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

And as mentioned. Really great sub players never even ping, they either send long range un-pinged homing torps against predicted grey lines or go really close and personal (looking at Gato players here) and just NUKE you from full HP with regular nuclear torps, without you or anyone else ever knowing he was even there.

Is this why everyone loves playing against subs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

 

This!

The fast ping ability actually works against sub players and for the other players. The fact that most inexperienced sub players spam pings like lunatics gives the victims a small chance of predicting the subs movement and get a hit in with plane ASWs.

This is just another thing I like about the U-4501, which if im not mistaken, has some of the longer ping cooldowns in the game, so it works for the Sub player. 

And as mentioned. Really great sub players never even ping, they either send long range un-pinged homing torps against predicted grey lines or go really close and personal (looking at Gato players here) and just NUKE you from full HP with regular nuclear torps, without you or anyone else ever knowing he was even there.

 

Well, when hunting another Sub, pinging is a requirement to get a hit, since the Sub can just change depth and the unguided torpedoes sail over or under it.  Against a surface ship, pinging can be useful both as a distraction and when you need to shoot in a situation where you are going to get spotted if you come to periscope or surface depth.  The general rule is a good Sub driver knows -when- to ping and doesn't use it as their preferred attack.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gillhunter said:

Is this why everyone loves playing against subs?

The challenge (which is accepted) by enthusiastic submarine hunters is the "mental game" to figure-out what "the other guy" will do and how they'll do it.
Then, to play one's ship in a manner that successfully hunts "the other guy". 
This may include communication and cooperation with one's team-mates, including the submarine(s) on one's team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

 

Well, when hunting another Sub, pinging is a requirement to get a hit, since the Sub can just change depth and the unguided torpedoes sail over or under it.  Against a surface ship, pinging can be useful both as a distraction and when you need to shoot in a situation where you are going to get spotted if you come to periscope or surface depth.  The general rule is a good Sub driver knows -when- to ping and doesn't use it as their preferred attack.

 

For me, Subs hunting Subs is just a huge waste of time, its like CVs trying to snipe each other instead of going after the other ships where they can have an enormous impact.

My tactic when it comes to enemy subs is that I fall back to my team when the 5 min mark comes up, and the Sub radar comes of cooldown. Then usually you lured the enemy sub into a false sense of safety while pushing into your ships, then you surface near your fleet, pop radar, spot enemy sub and he gets annihilated by you're BBs and then you have an open flank. He will try and counter radar you but since you are at the surface and away from his fleet it doesn't matter.  This tactic works in about 80 % of the matches. Many captains don't seem to be aware of radar cooldown time and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2023 at 10:49 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Time to welcome the U-4501 to my Port and give it a "test drive".  🙂 

Fun boat, not completely OP.
4 torps forward, 6 aft. Faster underwater then on surface. Does not have 'dumb' torps.
As always, the challenge is getting the torps to hit your target.

 

 

4 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

For me, Subs hunting Subs is just a huge waste of time

 

For the most part yes.

Sub vs sub is not possible alone. Unless someone has hydro on the red sub, you have to wait for the sub hydro to be ready, and even then the Red Sub could already be sunk or in a completely different area. However, if I am in the area of the Red Sub, I will try to attack it.


I focus on helping the team by torping and harassing the red team, and alerting teammates when a ship has DC'd a ping away. I have used the sub hydro to locate the red sub near friendlies, essentially lighting them up to allow teammates to sink the sub.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Fun boat, not completely OP.
4 torps forward, 6 aft. Faster underwater then on surface. Does not have 'dumb' torps.
As always, the challenge is getting the torps to hit your target.

 

 

 

For the most part yes.

Sub vs sub is not possible alone. Unless someone has hydro on the red sub, you have to wait for the sub hydro to be ready, and even then the Red Sub could already be sunk or in a completely different area. However, if I am in the area of the Red Sub, I will try to attack it.


I focus on helping the team by torping and harassing the red team, and alerting teammates when a ship has DC'd a ping away. I have used the sub hydro to locate the red sub near friendlies, essentially lighting them up to allow teammates to sink the sub.

Sorryyoucannotaddanymorereactionstoday_screenshot_08-16-2023_.thumb.jpg.4ee7e5225c7755f5837050c8d6a530d2.jpg  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.