Repair Party Timing

Malum0ne

Hello Bob!
I play Cruiser's 99.9% of the time. The only time I play BB's or DD's is when I have to get a mission done that specifically calls for them. 
I plan on someday to play them but right now, just figuring out Cruisers is enough for my feeble mind.
I've been wondering about using the Repair Party and the timing of when to use them. I imagine it varies from country to country, and on a ship-by-ship basis.
I generally wait until I get to about half of the ship's DP on most ships. For some of the British ships I can hold off until it gets down to about  1/4 of the DP remaining, and in the red, hit the Repair Party, and it gets back to 3/4 and green.  Some ships have more charges than others, and some Repair Parties do better than others, but is there a general rule of thumb?

Thanks.

Edited by Malum0ne
Clarification
  • Like 1

Are you talking about DCP, damage control party, or repair party?

It seems like you’re talking about repair party. Generally I use repair party as soon as its full potential will be used. In some cases such as the British or the Pan-Ams, that’ll mean waiting longer, whereas with normal heals like the Germans it won’t be much time. 

So rule of thumb use your heals as soon as the full heal will be used. No point in waiting. 

Different nations do have different heals. As I said before the Brits and the PanAms have better heals, healing more citadel damage than regular ones. German cruisers, at least Roon and Hindy have one more heal than normal, so you can use them more freely than other cruisers. 

Theres quite a few more odd ones, so I’ll just link the wiki. 
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Repair_Party_Data

FYI, DCP means damage control party. It’s used to stop fires, floods, etc. 

Repair Party is used to heal back damage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As mentioned above, I think you referring to repair party. I will first recommend installing mods that gives you extra information, like this one, since the in game grey bar isn't enough to show you accurate numbers. Either the regen assistant or the advanced HP bar can help you. 

image.thumb.png.623985026f6b37b280cd03a7f0d095e8.png

10 hours ago, Malum0ne said:

in the red, hit the DCP

For usual cruisers and DDs (especially squishy light cruisers), just pop the heal whenever it can heal the full amount, you cannot afford sailing around in low HP, since one accurate salvo will be enough to end your day. 

However, if you are on a sturdier ship and has the adrenaline rush skill, like BBs, you can hold the heal a bit, and utilize the reload boost from the lost hp. But heal back whenever you aren't shooting since a healthy BB is important. And if you are going to push, make sure both damage control party and heal is ready. 
There is another way of popping heals where you are taking DoT damage and you intend to eat through it (one fire/one flood), you can pop the heal earlier halfway. For example, one fire is ticking and your grey bar is 10000, when the fire melts through the 6000hp, pop the heal, so the fire damage is ticking the same time as your heal is ticking. This way, you aren't wasting heal, and your heal can go into cool down earlier. I use this when trading HP in a BB/cruiser so my heal can come up faster next time. 

I don't have a good example on me so just use this one, you can see him popping the heal early at the timestamp since he is eating constant damage.

Edited by GMMF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Malum0ne changed the title to Repair Party Timing

Yes, I meant Repair Party.
Sorry for the confusion. I get mixed up about which is called what. 
OK, both make sense. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malum0ne said:

Yes, I meant Repair Party.
Sorry for the confusion. I get mixed up about which is called what. 
OK, both make sense. 

It took me awhile to get the names straight yet knowing well what they did.  There's also all the acronyms for those consumables.  All part of the learning curve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, Malum0ne said:

Hello Bob!
I play Cruiser's 99.9% of the time. The only time I play BB's or DD's is when I have to get a mission done that specifically calls for them. 
I plan on someday to play them but right now, just figuring out Cruisers is enough for my feeble mind.
I've been wondering about using the Repair Party and the timing of when to use them. I imagine it varies from country to country, and on a ship-by-ship basis.
I generally wait until I get to about half of the ship's DP on most ships. For some of the British ships I can hold off until it gets down to about  1/4 of the DP remaining, and in the red, hit the Repair Party, and it gets back to 3/4 and green.  Some ships have more charges than others, and some Repair Parties do better than others, but is there a general rule of thumb?

Thanks.

Generally you use repair party when you'll heal for it's maximum potential. However I find that if I need to make a play quickly in the future and I have some HP that's worth healing I'll sacrifice one early on for more initial HP while making the push play. Allowing the next heal to start recharging as quickly as possible giving me some more hp if I really need it.

• Thanks 1

@Malum0neIf u have any more questions please ask, making sure people are informed and know how to actually deal with a problem they're having in-game is what I'm here for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I am just an average but experienced player but for me it is easier to set in relation also to game elapsed or general game situation.

If you f.e. are in a battle with a single adversary and when you have defeated him you are likely to have time to spend on cooldown it makes sense to use the repair party quite éarly especially if you have many of them. When you are going low in hp end game it is also a matter of staying alive, unused parties are of no value when you sink.

I ofter alternate repair party with dcp if I can. Torps I usually use damage control for directly and fires I get to the repair party, sometimes you need both.

Are there other sources of fire damage or torp damage around you vs AP firing (Battle)ships. As the repair party last a while but DCP only is 5 s that is also a factor to take into consideration if you can.

How much adversaries are there left compared to your team, maybe you have to be the spearhead insted of going behind a battleship f.e. when there is few ships remaining so for me it is also such things that comes into mind. Or the game might be over soon so why save them? Think before the ensuing battle (part of a game).

But in the heat of the hectic battle you may also do not have the time to overthink the issue, if it is a say a knifefight where your torp reload is soon back on line and the need for survival until then is crucial just use it. 

I am more angry to myself when I hesitate afterwards but that is just me.

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, thanks folks.  I think I've been using the DCP almost correctly but not quite optimally. So, this will help. And I feel that any improvement is a good improvement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gnirf said:

But in the heat of the hectic battle you may also do not have the time to overthink the issue, if it is a say a knifefight where your torp reload is soon back on line and the need for survival until then is crucial just use it. 

+1
You can't use it at all if one's ship is sunk.

Sure, it's ideal to get optimal use from the Repair Party.  
But, having charges left-over could involve playing well, or not getting shot at, or could involve being sunk before using them.

"Smoke'em if you got'em."  🙂 

• Like 1