2023 Black Friday Auction info (Smolensk)

New_Jersey_prpr

TLDR:

Smolensk(OG): bid starts from 35000 gold, 1000 for sale.

Smolensk B: bid starts from 350k coal, 1000 for sale.

Flag of Smolensk: bid starts from 225k free EXP, 700 for sale.

Flag of Smolensk B: bid starts from 3000 steel, 700 for sale.

source: https://nga.178.com/read.php?tid=38235295 (website NOT in English)

For those who are not interested in these money grab events (like me), just look at these numbers and feel WG's greddiness.

Pics:

image.thumb.jpeg.01bc5bba029a0add720a088cba39bb8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e52779c03b69ed6a48a455af1d9c348e.jpegimage.png.93b34f2cbb81fff00c735c050880d887.pngimage.png.df509615fb4e762e099e1b906dbca6f5.png

image.thumb.png.374eb53b5ad0ca2dca239200de72a2fd.pngimage.thumb.png.d7c178ecaf25aa51b68c42c3a951a5ed.png

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

ust look at these numbers and feel WG's greddiness.

Or just grind for free to Jinan, which does much the same thing.

Or unlock the research bureau and obtain the similar but somewhat different Colbert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Oy.  Smolensk and Smaland are the only 2 ships I don’t have in port that I WANT. Going to be a tough decision as I’ve not spent but a few bucks since sub were released. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

I got the Smolly when it first came out (19KM version) 

Radars and Power creep has done her in a bit. Not to mention subs that can spot her in smoke.

She's still fun in COOP though. ( until you get Colbert ) 

Colbert is a much better buy.

Even when she was new,  35K Dubs would be too much IMHO.

But what do I know?

🤪

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

This auction shows once again, that you have been better off, if you have joined the game in earlier years, as you will have gotten all those nice an good ships for a fraction of what they will cost you now.

However, the lesson learned is not to buy them now, as they have stood the test of time.

The lesson is, that games are cheaper in their early years and that you are better off investing into some other game that has been released recently, than watering this old plant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Col_NASTY said:

Radars and Power creep has done her in a bit. Not to mention subs that can spot her in smoke.

She also lost her 30mm amidships plating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

She also lost her 30mm amidships plating.

Yeah, I forgot about that part. That REALLY changed her.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Or just grind for free to Jinan, which does much the same thing.

Or unlock the research bureau and obtain the similar but somewhat different Colbert.

The subtleties are there, and while they can be seen to be doing the same HE and torpedoes, they are also very different.

• Jinan and Smolensk's ballistics are very different.
  • Jinan has DWTs, and a Torp Reload Booster; while Smolensk has only the usual 8km torpedoes.
  • Jinan does not even have hydro.

I find Jinan to be more torpedo focused, while Smolensk, to be more focused on guns and smoke. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

But what do I know?

🤪

Smolensk was released very long after Radar. Given how her artillery is so unique (4X4) 130mm, I'd say she's in a world of her own. Hydro really makes a big difference for smoke cruisers and neither the Pan Asian Jinan or the RB Colbert compare to Smolensk outside of having DD caliber guns.

She's a steal: Smolensk; if that play style appeals to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

The subtleties are there, and while they can be seen to be doing the same HE and torpedoes, they are also very different.

• Jinan and Smolensk's ballistics are very different.
  • Jinan has DWTs, and a Torp Reload Booster; while Smolensk has only the usual 8km torpedoes.
  • Jinan does not even have hydro.

I find Jinan to be more torpedo focused, while Smolensk, to be more focused on guns and smoke. 

Smolensk has sixteen (4X4) 130mm guns vs Jinan's (2X5) 127mm guns. Aside a ~1.5s reload different that's a huge firepower difference between Smolensk and Jinan; Colbert hardly compares. Not to mention Jinan's torpedoes are inapplicable against DDs and Submarines, denying their early use. Meanwhile Jinan is extremely vulnerable to DDs and torps; being larger and slower than Smolensk. Both tend to favor open water when they have smokes. But Smolensk remains flexible throughout the game thanks to her artillery set up, hydro and small size.

Personally I'd like to see a Soviet radar added as an option in Smolensk's hydro slot. And a Des Moines Radar as an option in Jinan's torpedo reload booster slot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Smolensk was released very long after Radar.

Of course I know that. I should have said MANY more ships with Radar were released after her.

Radar and hydro are everywhere now. Much more than when she came out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Smolensk has sixteen (4X4) 130mm guns vs Jinan's (2X5) 127mm guns. Aside a ~1.5s reload different that's a huge firepower difference between Smolensk and Jinan;

Smol only has about 14% more DPM than Jinan. Colbert blows Smol out of the water in the DPM department by having almost 55% more DPM than Smol (47% if we wan't to assume that Colbert is only using 7 out of the 8).

Meanwhile Jinan is extremely vulnerable to DDs and torps; being larger and slower than Smolensk.

Actually, Smol is the more clunky one with a larger turn radius and rudder shift, also worse accel.

Personally I'd like to see a Soviet radar added as an option in Smolensk's hydro slot. And a Des Moines Radar as an option in Jinan's torpedo reload booster slot.

Have you lost your mind? The last Cruiser to have HE smoke and radar available was the Belfasts and the T7 was considered the most broken ship ever to be released as it made it untouchable for a DD at almost any time. 43 was made almost unplayable by giving it worse DPM than its T7 counterpart.

If you where to put this kind of combo on the highest DPM cruisers in the game you're literally asking for the game to revolve around only these two cruisers, why bring a moskva (lmao moon spotting)/stalin (lmao moon spotting)/ petro (lmao 17 second radar) when I can have my 12km instagib stealth radar with my 10km detect, even if it was the 17 second meme petro radar, if we assume that the smol landed at least 50% of his shots you've already dealt 14.4k dmg to the poor DD assuming saturation did jack.

Same goes with Jinan and 10km DM radar.

It may have been fine if it was an option to trade smoke for radar on Jinan but Smolensk has better balistics than DM sub 15km and about 40% more DPM than a DM, sure the clunky handling will balance it but it doesn't deter from the fact that it's flat out better than Nevsky at DD hunting if we want the closest thing with what VMF cruisers we have.

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

Typical WG! Release Powercrept Smol for the masses! PLS understand NOT AS OP Breaking as it used to be in 2021 with its 19 km range. Småland on the other hand is great ship and also museum ship in my hme town Gothenburg!

• Thanks 1

Smol at released: 

OG WEEGEE MO: Release sought after premium BS/Broken ship! THIS IS NOT THE SMOLENSK OF TODAY WITH SUBS AND RADARS AND SUPER-CVs!!!!

Just be aware! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AkiraKurai said:

Smol only has about 14% more DPM than Jinan. Colbert blows Smol out of the water in the DPM department by having almost 55% more DPM than Smol (47% if we wan't to assume that Colbert is only using 7 out of the 8).

Thing people tend to forget about cruisers or any ship for that matter, projected and effective are two separate categories when it comes to damage. Colbert, I don't have, but the ballistics I've seen through replays and in my own encounters, that 55% is way off.

Actually, Smol is the more clunky one with a larger turn radius and rudder shift, also worse accel.

Port and in-game stats aren't the same. Lwm had highlighted this problem many times.

Have you lost your mind? The last Cruiser to have HE smoke and radar available was the Belfasts and the T7 was considered the most broken ship ever to be released as it made it untouchable for a DD at almost any time. 43 was made almost unplayable by giving it worse DPM than its T7 counterpart.

Belfast was introduced and is was introduced when Radar was very new (Only Atlanta and had it if I remember correctly.) That ship, regardless has been maintained at t7 to the present regardless of your phobia of the combination; not broken, just competitive.

If you where to put this kind of combo on the highest DPM cruisers in the game you're literally asking for the game to revolve around only these two cruisers,

Not really... Atlanta and The IFHE nerf proved that hull plating can serve as a spectacular balancing act when applied correctly. I believe Jinan and Smolensk have 16mm plating. If DD and super CL plating levels were  reduced to 13mm like Atlanta, Smolensk and Jinan would become vulnerable to medium caliber AP; hence Moskva/Hindenburg and Des Moines.

why bring a moskva (lmao moon spotting)/stalin (lmao moon spotting)/ petro (lmao 17 second radar) when I can have my 12km instagib stealth radar with my 10km detect,

Because that radar still only last 46 seconds and the lack of health means any and every citadel and torp hurts allot. Not to mention Radar, unlike hydro only spots ships, not torpedoes.

even if it was the 17 second meme petro radar, if we assume that the smol landed at least 50% of his shots you've already dealt 14.4k dmg to the poor DD assuming saturation did jack.

Damage saturation and ballistics reduce that to ~25% at best depending the range.

Same goes with Jinan and 10km DM radar.

Response above

It may have been fine if it was an option to trade smoke for radar on Jinan but Smolensk has better balistics than DM sub 15km and about 40% more DPM than a DM, sure the clunky handling will balance it but it doesn't deter from the fact that it's flat out better than Nevsky at DD hunting if we want the closest thing with what VMF cruisers we have.

Smolensk's got the best ballistics of all the CLs in-game. Alexander Nevsky is actually a CA so where ships like Colbert and Jinan have theoretical DPM, Smolensk has actual DPM; effective at almost any range. That's why Smolensk's sale is such a treat and a trick at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Thing people tend to forget about cruisers or any ship for that matter, projected and effective are two separate categories when it comes to damage. Colbert, I don't have, but the ballistics I've seen through replays and in my own encounters, that 55% is way off.

That was the effective DPS that Colbert can spit out, note the 47% for 7/8 guns which is standard for Colber to fire at all times (you can only unlock the 8th if you're extremly far). Personal experience shouldn't be used to judge the effectiveness of the ship.
I own all 3
Colbert shell flight is the middle pack of both Jinan and Smol but most similar to Jinan. The flight time of their HE shells at 15km are as followed.
Smolensk: 10.7
Colbert: 13.07
Jinan: 14.02

Port and in-game stats aren't the same. Lwm had highlighted this problem many times

And this is due to how turn radius varies with the speed of your ship, something that she also points out, so what's the prolbem here?

Belfast was introduced and is was introduced when Radar was very new (Only Atlanta and had it if I remember correctly.) That ship, regardless has been maintained at t7 to the present regardless of your phobia of the combination; not broken, just competitive.

Radar wasn't a new thing and has been in the game for awhile already, it was new for T7 sure but to this day only a select few cruisers at T7 have radar, it still does not detract from the fact that HE + smoke + radar is a setup for a counter on anything.
The idea if it being "not broken, just competitive" makes no sense, to be competitive you must be broken, or be banned, which is what happened during seasons of T7 CB.

Not really... Atlanta and The IFHE nerf proved that hull plating can serve as a spectacular balancing act when applied correctly. I believe Jinan and Smolensk have 16mm plating. If DD and super CL plating levels were  reduced to 13mm like Atlanta, Smolensk and Jinan would become vulnerable to medium caliber AP; hence Moskva/Hindenburg and Des Moines.

That notion of meta revolving was attached with them having HE + smoke + radar. If you read futher you would see that I would have been fine if it was smoke traded for radar.

Because that radar still only last 46 seconds and the lack of health means any and every citadel and torp hurts allot. Not to mention Radar, unlike hydro only spots ships, not torpedoes.

They're CLs and have CL manuverability, they make up in lack of health by having near DD manuverability, some make mistakes less punishing (San Martin 80% cit dmg recovery, etc...)
If you cant figure out where the torps are coming from and you haven't been spotted before you popped your steath radar, it's a skill issue.

Smolensk's got the best ballistics of all the CLs in-game. Alexander Nevsky is actually a CA so where ships like Colbert and Jinan have theoretical DPM, Smolensk has actual DPM; effective at almost any range. That's why Smolensk's sale is such a treat and a trick at the same time.

I would group Nevsky under the CL category, it has 180s, anything below 203 is a CL at least in my book, if you're going by armor would you then say that a worchester is a CA?
Smolensk "actual DPM" is more of a skill issue on the users part being unable to aim. At max range of both (16km) the difference is about 3 seconds for Colbert and 4 seconds for Jinan, in Jinans case I can understand. In practical engagements at around 13km the difference is only 2 seconds, where shell flight is only about 8.3 for Smolensk and 10 for the others.

It''s a treat sure, I'm not one to judge what you or anyone else enjoys.

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

12 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

But what do I know?

🤪

Did your Smolly keep her 19km range or did it get nerfed?  Mine is 16km with the range extension in equipment slot 6.

Just curious 🙂

I don't know what you should do now!  Hope you get something fun!

I think Colbert is my next target boat for fun...  Smolensk is fun in coop 🙂  nothing wrong with more fun!

15 minutes ago, Arcusaesopi said:

Did your Smolly keep her 19km range or did it get nerfed?  Mine is 16km with the range extension in equipment slot 6.

Just curious 🙂

The ship’s range wasn’t changed. The commander skill rework removed AFT (at least for cruisers), which boosted the range of guns up to 139mm (i.e. “destroyer guns”). IIRC, the only cruiser that had the AFT range “baked in” during the rework was Atlanta. Flint didn’t get auto-AFT, but rather got a bit of a range buff a patch or two later (along with an ROF nerf).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

You could get in a Santa Crate or could just buy it when the black Friday sale comes to make sure you get it. Might be cheaper then the auction to just use cash if you have any extra and just flat out buy it if you really want it. Wait tell you used all the free or cheaper ways to get her then if you have to just buy her.  

11 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Not to mention Jinan's torpedoes are inapplicable against DDs and Submarines, denying their early use.

That is why I had to correct the post that said Jinan and Smolensk do the same thing. 

The thinking behind that said post is clearly borne out of willful ignorance anchored on a lack of experience in PVP modes, or worse, an attempt to mislead players. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2