Visual Representation of Ship Depth Charge Blasts

LittleWhiteMouse

A special thanks to ttaro over on Reddit for this wonderful breakdown of depth charge damage.

Here's an example of Haida performing a depth charge run against a stationary submarine.  The yellow circle (which may be a cube because of how the Big World Engine works) has a 450m radius.  The red circle has a 67.5m radius.  Everything within the red sphere takes 1x depth charge damage.  Anything within the yellow takes 0.33x depth charge damage.  Because of how depth charges sink, even if the overhead looks like one struck pay-dirt, it sank too deep to score the 1x damage.

GfOTCcu.jpg
All ship dropped depth charges have a 450m blast radius.  Submerged submarines within the radius take 0.33x the in-port damage value of the depth charge.  In Haida's case, her depth charges do 5,000 listed damage, so each do 1,650.  The red circle is a 67.5m radius where submarines take 1.0x the in-port listed damage.

Qe1KsN1.jpg
Depth charges detonating well beneath USS Salmon's 50m max depth.  The depth at which bombs sink is dictated by RNG and all deeper than submarines can go presently.  It's going to be rare that you ever see the 1.0x damage, particularly for lower tiered submarines where the bomb needs to a good helping of RNG as well as perfect placement to bullseye a sub.

Gsl4Gqx.png
Chobi's result screen. Eight depth charge hits x 1,650 damage = 13,200 damage.

Preliminary testing is showing depth charges are fired at a rate of 1 per second.  Depending upon a ship's speed, you can stretch or shrink the size of the area these bombs are dropped.  Drop patterns are fixed.  Haida, for example, will always begin her drop with a port-side depth charge thrower, then the starboard-side depth charge thrower, then roll a single charge off the back.  This sequence repeats twice more. 

• Thanks 6

Based upon an old forum conversation that I seem to remember having with @Ahskance, the depth-charge explosions are shaped like a cylinder.
So the radius is correct, but instead of the explosion being in the shape of a sphere, the explosion is shaped like a cylinder.

Which is why it doesn't matter what depth the submarine is at, it only matters how much distance is between the submarine and the explosion when looking from the "top down" view (as depicted in your helpful graphic, above 🙂 ).

(I'm not sure where the "square" or rectangle notion came from, but am curious to learn the source and the reasoning.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

(I'm not sure where the "square" or rectangle notion came from, but am curious to learn the source and the reasoning.)

That "infinite depth" should be pretty easy to test for. 

As for the cube / rectangle thing, it's because of the engine.  BigWorld is an MMO engine and it's designed to use cubes as its base building block.  So a lot of effects / geometries are cube-based and not circle based.

• Thanks 4

We need an aiming reticles for the bofors 375mm ASW rockets and the british limbo system, which hilariously fires next to the ship instead of at range like its designed. I also think hedgehogs should be available as they are shown on sherman. Incidentally with Edger being a 1975 ship (lol wargaming) it should get an Ikara rocket ASW torp launcher. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foxhound421a said:

We need an aiming reticles for the bofors 375mm ASW rockets and the british limbo system, which hilariously fires next to the ship instead of at range like its designed. I also think hedgehogs should be available as they are shown on sherman. Incidentally with Edger being a 1975 ship (lol wargaming) it should get an Ikara rocket ASW torp launcher. 

I would love to see an overlay generated in game that would show the predictive drop pattern of depth charges.  It need not be so detailed that it shows where each bomb will specifically drop (though the engine could render this easily given that it's simply based on time / speed).  But like a green rectangle that gave a rough idea of the area that's about to be covered by the depth charge pattern, similar to the air-drop reticle, but that moves along with the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An idea I had was ASW patrols for carriers. For example an RN carrier would have a pair of fireflies that would patrol an area like fighters and they would rocket and depth charge subs that they detect in that area. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, Foxhound421a said:

An idea I had was ASW patrols for carriers. For example an RN carrier would have a pair of fireflies that would patrol an area like fighters and they would rocket and depth charge subs that they detect in that area. 

That's how I'd imagined WG would initially introduce depth charge planes.

I'll be honest for subs I want wargaming to play command modern operations for a couple of days. in particular the sub and ASW heavy scenarios so they can get a better idea how to impliment it into WoW.  They would also see how bad early homing torps were

20 hours ago, Foxhound421a said:

I'll be honest for subs I want wargaming to play command modern operations for a couple of days. in particular the sub and ASW heavy scenarios so they can get a better idea how to impliment it into WoW.  They would also see how bad early homing torps were

Oh, they know but they do NOT want to piss off the sub-mafia with realism. 

It's an arcade game that has subs in it because 'historically' they were in WW2.

Never mind that they were NEVER as strong as represented...

On 11/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, Musket22 said:

Oh, they know but they do NOT want to piss off the sub-mafia with realism. 

It's an arcade game that has subs in it because 'historically' they were in WW2.

Never mind that they were NEVER as strong as represented...

Well pretty soon they'll have another game with subs to play, and can make up their own decisions about what they would rather play

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Well pretty soon they'll have another game with subs to play, and can make up their own decisions about what they would rather play

I hope the sub players from here do find a different sub game to play/

but that they play their surface ships here...

Edited by Musket22
  • Bored 1

Just make the subs more realistic forward deploy them, make them detectable by hydro, romove homing torps from the majority of subs with a few armed with slow, low powered acoustic homing torps not these ping homers. 

• Like 1

• I_cant_Swim_ featured this topic
  • I_cant_Swim_ unfeatured this topic