Will USS New Jersey, fastest BB, lose her four propellers?

iDuckman

Just repair the jacking gear to keep the shaft turning slow. And the shaft journal & thrust bearings. And the reduction gears. Whoops, gotta remember the turbine shaft bearings, too, then. And maybe the lifting pumps, if she has ‘em.

Good to

Yeah.  As I repeated, not an easy question.  And your solutions doesn't address the issue of bi-metallic corrosion. If they could exercise the gear and drydock her regularly...

Or bloody reactivate her.

15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Oh that would be soo amazing.  I guarantee I could find a legit purpose for her.  even if it was just parading around, tying up at different ports, and offering tours at 20 bucks a head, to help offset some of the cost.

I had the great fortune to tour on the Missouri, in the mid '80's, when it came up the Columbia and Willamette rivers and tied up at Portland.  I was a teen, and knew what I was seeing was awesome, but I really had no idea.  An event like that will never happen again.

Sorry for the drift.  Great video, Ryan (?) is fun to listen to, knowledgeable and passionate.  You can hear the disappointment in his voice with the prospect of losing "control" of the props if they are removed.  No good answer.  

• Like 2

It could end up being a situation like USS Massachusetts, where the two outer propellers were removed due to leak issues, but the two inner ones are left in place. (I think this is accurate)

On 8/16/2023 at 10:06 PM, Utt_Bugglier said:

Just repair the jacking gear to keep the shaft turning slow. And the shaft journal & thrust bearings. And the reduction gears. Whoops, gotta remember the turbine shaft bearings, too, then. And maybe the lifting pumps, if she has ‘em.

Good to

That's not a crazy idea.  What would it cost to staff that maintenance procedure vs. other options?

I'm reminded of the song from Kansas "how long till the point of no return".  I've been gradually noticing how the expense of ship preservation is climbing and there are more and more ships becoming museum pieces.  There will be a gradual fading of memory of why these ships need to be preserved I think.  Will they command the awe they deserve in another generation or two?

7 hours ago, meatgrindr said:
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Oh that would be soo amazing.  I guarantee I could find a legit purpose for her.  even if it was just parading around, tying up at different ports, and offering tours at 20 bucks a head, to help offset some of the cost.  ...

While the New Jersey doesn't quite have the accomodations of the "Pacific Princess" (A.K.A. 'the Love boat'), I do love the notion of museum ships being able to provide pleasure tours, especially if they're sturdier than the "S.S. Minnow".

There are a few museum ships that do offer cruises.  
The ones that come to my mind are the LST-325, and a Liberty Ship.
Though, now that I think of it, there are some WW-II vintage "Duck Boats" in Boston which provide tours, on land and in the water.

Bottom line, I think there are enthusiasts who would be willing.  But, there are a lot of logistics hurdles and some serious costs involved.
That said, the USS Constitution sails on special occasions.  🙂

1 hour ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

That's not a crazy idea.  What would it cost to staff that maintenance procedure vs. other options?

Technologically, no, it’s not crazy at all.

Initial expense-wise, it’s about the most expensive way you can go, because you’re restoring every rotating element in the chain.

Then you’ve got some electricity cost to turn the jacking gear (turning the jacking gear keeps the shafts spinning so they don’t set, & bushings and packing don’t take a set), because the ship’s TG set isn’t powering it any more, and some maintenance activity to check the rate of packing leakage and crank down on it from time to time.

I made the suggestion a bit toungue-in-cheek, because it is mind-blowingly expensive, but is is the top-to-bottom way to fix the problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I'm reminded of the song from Kansas "how long till the point of no return".  I've been gradually noticing how the expense of ship preservation is climbing and there are more and more ships becoming museum pieces.  There will be a gradual fading of memory of why these ships need to be preserved I think.  Will they command the awe they deserve in another generation or two?

I don't think they command the awe they deserve now.  Otoh, if you can drag someone to an Iowa, the sheer fucking *size* and complexity should take some of their breath away.  Assuming you can get them to look up from their phones.

What is so bloody fascinating on these phone thingies, anyway, that is better than the real world?  Don't answer that.

Edited by iDuckman

10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

That said, the USS Constitution sails on special occasions.  🙂

She has to.  The prevailing winds warp her masts and spars.  Also constant exposure to sun and shade in places.  At the very least she must be turned around every year or two. 

With a battleship, there are at least two orders of magnitude of difference -- probably three.  A battleship or two could come in handy ever once in a while, assuming you don't intend to maroon your Marines in fooking Afghanistan regularly.  The killer is the cost of the crew. 

• Like 1