What's your rig?

A few months ago my laptop began acting up, keyboard would periodically lose functionality in various areas on the board. Easy solution replace keyboard... yeah checked out the videos for doing this and I came to the conclusion that 20 years ago I would have given it a go, but with failing eyesight and a propensity for dropping stuff it wasn't going to happen. After some perusal of various laptop manufacturers and the prices they were asking for laptops I perceived as acceptable in terms of performance I came to the conclusion I wasn't going down that rabbit hole again. Bear in mind if it was a desktop with a dodgy keyboard then it would have been replaced instantly. So instead of spending $1500 on a new laptop I invested in a compact system that I have on my sofa end table with a 27" monitor on a floor stand. Total cost was just short of $1000.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600

Asus Prime B550M-A WIFI II

32GB 3600 DDR4

2x 1TB NVME SSD

MSI Ventus x2 RTX 3060 12GB

Enermax Revolution DF 650W

Thermaltake V21 case 

Corsair Strafe Red Keyboard

Corsair Katar WiFi mouse

ASUS 27 inch Monitor, 75Hz, 1ms mprt, nothing stellar but good enough for me.

8eddace247478fbd9836a83193b984e1.thumb.png.31a331abbd37686b504ecaec98e6f025.png

Completed system which has been giving stellar performance for the last 3 months. Notice the presence of the ever attentive watchdog.

• Like 3

I bought a gaming laptop about 2 1/2 years ago and it's chugging along pretty good. I don't know offhand what it has but I manage 130FPS or so on high or very high graphics settings. One of the cooling fans is getting ready to go though. I did buy a 27" monitor a year ago since playing on the 15" is too hard on my eyes. I may consider either building, with my son,  or buying a new gaming desktop soon though. 

• AMD Ryzen 5600x
  • Gigabyte Gaming X V2 B550
  • 4x Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR4 3600
  • MSI Gaming X Trio 3060ti
  • 2x 1tb SSD (1x NVME, 1x 2.5" SATA)
  • Coolermaster ML360 AIO
  • Be Quiet! Pure Base 500
  • Samsung 32" Odyssey G5 1440p 144hz curved panel
  • Some sort of Iiyama 23" 1080p panel
  • Sharkoon Skiller mechanical keyboard with RGB
  • Logitech ergonomic mouse

I built this rig 2.5 years ago, when the 5600x was just a fresh release. It had a GTX 1660 then, but that died last year. Fortunately the GPU market was slowly recovering at the time so I didn't pay exorbitantly huge amounts of money for the 3060ti, though I still paid over MSRP.

Edited by Lert
  • Like 1

Acer "Nitro 5" gaming laptop.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)

System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

GeForce GTX 3GB graphics card.
Display 1920 x 1080  laptop screen

Logitech "Trackman" marble mouse.
image_2023-08-16_213041428.thumb.png.fbb52f3759d9cb3f3c546f952afbc984.png

Now that I'm home it's a Lenovo Legion 5

Processor

1x 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor(Core™ i7-10750H)

Memory

1x 8GB DDR4 2933

1x 8 GB DDR4-2933

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64(EN:English)

Hard Drive

1x 512 GB SSD PCIe

1x 1TB HDD 7200rpm

Wireless Network

1x Bluetooth® 5.0 or above; Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX

Ports

1x 1 Type C (USB3.1 GEN1+DP1.2); Combo jack; RJ45 port with Giga Lan; HDMI 2.0

Camera

1x 720P HD with Array Microphone & Privacy Shutter

Graphics

1x GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

12th gen alder lake 12900kf

asus rog strix 3080ti

gigabyte z690 aurous elite mb

2 x crucial 2 tb ssd

64 gig dominator platinum

Lian Li case

007.jpg

Edited by CriMiNaL
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Gigabyte B550 UD AC

32GB T-Force Delta Ram

RTX 3050

2 x 1TB NVMe SSD

Got this a few months ago to replace an I5-6600K / GTX 960 system I bought in early 2016. 

Probably overkill for WoWs and YouTube. 

I feel bad but here it goes:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic case

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Corsair H150 elite capellix cooler

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI

Sapphire RX 580 8gig

32 gig corsair vengeance ram 3200 

Corsair keyboard K55 (the old one) onn wireless mouse (walmart special)

WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB (boot and some games) Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (steam games drive)

43" element tv (1080p 60hz)

Edited by wade_gaskins

One of the good things about WoWS is the vast range of hardware it will run on. As long as you are not on the bare minimum spec then the game should run. I used to play it by streaming the game from my server in my basement to my laptop, which didn't have the graphics oomph (business model), it worked perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

I'm running an older MSI MAG Infinite S with upgraded memory, so:

• Intel i5-10400F
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
  • 32 GB of RAM
  • 1 TB NVMe for OS'es and games, 512 GB external SSD (my old boot drive) for random data and 4 TB HDD for local bulk storage
  • 34" 3440x1440p 144Hz and 22" 1080p 75Hz displays

With more or less maxed out settings and FSR I'm getting around 120 FPS, granted with the new graphics update seemingly dropping me down to high 90's in closequarters brawling with lots going on. Works good enough for me.

First prebuilt I've ever bought, but a combination of a nice discount, extra discount for taking a returned unit and the at-the-time really fitting form factor made me go for it. I think all short-term upgrades will be done to my fileserver, and this one will stay as is until I'll just build a brand new one with VR more in mind in 2-3 years.

I recently rebuilt my system, so the components are mainly new.

* Intel i7 13700K

* 64 GB RAM

* motherboard is an MSI something-pro-Wifi II

* power supply is a Corsair 850W gold (old)

* 1TB SSD (old)

* Intel arc a770 LE graphics card.

* mouse and kb are wired (old)

* 2x 24" monitors

The case is also old. I had intended to get an Nvidia 4070 card, but cancelled the order in favor of the intel one. Felt like I needed to support the newcomer, like. Not the best move, for WoWs. At high settings it frequently crashes, but for normal applications it's solid.  Although I tend to get carried away when I do things, own builds isn't as enjoyable as it once was. This one is likely my last. A good laptop will do fine, thank you, next time around.

I need to point out- nothing of this was essential for WoWs. Another system in the house, with an Nvidia 2070 super and a Ryzen 3700 (?) runs WoWs nicely too.

13 minutes ago, Efros said:

Interested in the Arc, any problems with it?

From what I can find / have learned watching the tech space, the performance horsepower is there (for mid-range users) but driver issues, older direct X performance / compatibility issues and teething problems have kept me from adopting Arc. I'm very keenly watching what happens with Battlemage, though.

Edited by Lert

49 minutes ago, Lert said:

From what I can find / have learned watching the tech space, the performance horsepower is there (for mid-range users) but driver issues, older direct X performance / compatibility issues and teething problems have kept me from adopting Arc. I'm very keenly watching what happens with Battlemage, though.

I nearly opted for one when I put this rig together, but chickened out. From what I've been seeing in the press the driver problems have become fewer and fewer with every update and the cards themselves are good performers.

1 hour ago, Efros said:

I nearly opted for one when I put this rig together, but chickened out. From what I've been seeing in the press the driver problems have become fewer and fewer with every update and the cards themselves are good performers.

Yeah that's what I'm banking on, a certain level of technology and driver maturity by the time Battlemage rolls out. They're still aiming for a 2024 drop, but - well, delays happen.

i7-7700

32gb ddr4 2400

gtx 1080

1440p 24” @75hz and 1080p secondary

SSD for os and select things, another SSD for games, 2x10tb HDD in mirror, raid 5 3x1tb HDD, 4x6tb HDD in raid10 (external NAS).

Run f@h/curecoin, plex, handbrake even while playing wows with minimum hiccups.

next upgrade (eventually after I find a 4K Sony tv that I can afford) will be a pure unicorn puke build.

Edited by ZaCLoNe

Guest Capt_of_Satisfaction

Also built about 2.5 years ago:

• AMD Ryzen 5800x
  • MSI Gaming B550
  • 32gb (2x16) Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR4 3600
  • MSI Gaming X 3060ti
  • 2x1TB PNY SSD 
  • EVGA 3x120 CLC
  • EVGA SuperNova 850w Platinum
  • Gigabyte 32" Aorus 1440p 165hz 1ms panel
  • AS510 old style unbreakable keyboard
  • Kensington Pro Trackball to which accommodates a pool ball :classic_biggrin:

It still purrs like a kitten and I don't feel the need to upgrade, yet :-)

5 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Also built about 2.5 years ago:

• AMD Ryzen 5800x
  • MSI Gaming B550
  • 32gb (2x16) Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR4 3600
  • MSI Gaming X 3060ti
  • 2x1TB PNY SSD 
  • EVGA 3x120 CLC
  • EVGA SuperNova 850w Platinum
  • Gigabyte 32" Aorus 1440p 165hz 1ms panel
  • AS510 old style unbreakable keyboard
  • Kensington Pro Trackball to which accommodates a pool ball :classic_biggrin:

It still purrs like a kitten and I don't feel the need to upgrade, yet 🙂

Very similar rig to what I'm running.

I'm holding off on upgrading for games like Space Marine 2, wanna see how that runs before considering a new tragics card.

9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Very similar rig to what I'm running.

I'm holding off on upgrading for games like Space Marine 2, wanna see how that runs before considering a new tragics card.

I know right?  We both built ours about the same time and GMTA I guess :classic_laugh:  I'm partial to MSI, EVGA, Lian Li and Crucial though :-)  

1 minute ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

I know right?  We both built ours about the same time and GMTA I guess :classic_laugh:  I'm partial to MSI, EVGA, Lian Li and Crucial though 🙂

And me AMD, Corsair and Be Quiet. The MSI tragics card was mostly because that was what was available at the time, plus I wanted one with an overkill cooler.

34 minutes ago, Lert said:

And me AMD, Corsair and Be Quiet. The MSI tragics card was mostly because that was what was available at the time, plus I wanted one with an overkill cooler.

I'd be happy with any of those.  I've had Corsair in most of my builds but a guru friend of mine advised me to try Crucial years ago and I like a lot.

Also, AMD CPU, yes.  AMD GPU, hard no.  Had more than one bad experience with the GPUs over the years.

1 hour ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

I'd be happy with any of those.  I've had Corsair in most of my builds but a guru friend of mine advised me to try Crucial years ago and I like a lot.

Also, AMD CPU, yes.  AMD GPU, hard no.  Had more than one bad experience with the GPUs over the years.

Fair. It's a shame that at the current moment nvidia is the big dog in the GPU sphere, because as a company, on a corporate level they are rather - .... well, a word I will not type here because I want to keep this account for longer than today.

I like to be 2 or 3 years behind in technology, by that time prices are usually not eye wateringly painful.

8 hours ago, Efros said:

I like to be 2 or 3 years behind in technology, by that time prices are usually not eye wateringly painful.

lol, yup

20 hours ago, Lert said:

It's a shame that at the current moment nvidia is the big dog in the GPU sphere

True. That's why I went with Intel. And every time you think GPU prices should come down, they seem to go up. Bitcoins, AI, what next - 4k VR?