Seychelles is a horrible map for gameplay fun.

Musket22

Just finished a game (Co-op) where I was spawned on the far East side of A.

No enemy drones started on the east and those that could have been there went norteast to wards B.

That big-ass island center-left is a stupid choice of design

image.png.ee73d4a3d6973c69682153eb54ed0076.png

• Like 6

Yes, this is another example of a poorly-designed map from WG, at least for coop. D cap is guaranteed to always have at least a few ships to shoot there, while at least half the time in A there may only be 1 enemy in the area. Plus, if you finish capping D it is much easier to crossfire into B/C (since the western island is smaller, as you noted). 

Asymmetric battles are awesome; asymmetric maps are awful. 

Generally any map with such a huge obstruction in the middle for especially higher tier battles is going to be terrible for any ship except for CVs, because it allows for less modular play that centers and limits itself on flanks, excluding the capability of cross-map crossfires, flanks or DD rotations which maps with less middle obstructions possess. It's basically a crappy uptiered version of Solomon Islands from T4.

Solomon_Islands.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Musket22 said:

Just finished a game (Co-op) where I was spawned on the far East side of A.

No enemy drones started on the east and those that could have been there went norteast to wards B.

That big-ass island center-left is a stupid choice of design

I have to admit it is a horrible map to play on. If a sub spawns on the opposite edge of the map from you, all the bots will flock towards it leaving you with little to do. With the change they made to bot behavior, I have found it is best to only use premium, mid tier ships in all matches. That way I never lose credits even if I score near the bottom of the pack.  When the pickings are slim, I tend to just set a course and walk away from the computer or just minimize the game and play cards. 

It's bad for play, but they were trying to bring in a "real world" map which I applaud.   I think if they'd shift the cap zones to a diagonal, it would play better although that is still a BIG island for the overall map size 🙂

3 minutes ago, Arcusaesopi said:

It's bad for play, but they were trying to bring in a "real world" map which I applaud.   I think if they'd shift the cap zones to a diagonal, it would play better although that is still a BIG island for the overall map size 🙂

The only real world map they have is 'OCEAN'

• Bored 1

8 minutes ago, Musket22 said:

The only real world map they have is 'OCEAN'

🙂 It would have to be massively bigger and take hours to play to make a fleet engagement work... and probably need to be a clan battle too so there would be a chance for actual coordination. 

I'd like to see some of the WWII island scenarios that happened semi-implemented in the game although even those would have to be massively out of scale to allow for a 15-20 minute arcade shoot-em-up.

Guess I am in the minority but I kind of like it. Have played it in Co-op and Randoms and never had an issue with it. It's way better than Shatter (worst map in game).

My biggest gripe is not with the maps themselves (though some really do suck for coop, I am looking at you, Two Brothers) but with the bots leaving their flanks for greener pastures, more often than not the middle. If they stayed on their flanks like in the old days, there would not be such problems. Everyone would get their share to shoot at (french DDs wrecking everything in short order notwithstanding).

As it is now, at least for me, the one thing determining whether I will have a good or a bad coop game is not my ship nor my skill but the starting location. Middle start results almost always in a good game. Flank starts can be good can be bad on some maps. And on some other maps, certain flank starts are guaranteed suckage. This is bad game design. Which of course WG are experts at.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, Sorry_Yodo_Only said:

Generally any map with such a huge obstruction in the middle for especially higher tier battles is going to be terrible for any ship except for CVs, because it allows for less modular play that centers and limits itself on flanks, excluding the capability of cross-map crossfires, flanks or DD rotations which maps with less middle obstructions possess. It's basically a crappy uptiered version of Solomon Islands from T4.

Solomon_Islands.png

I like that map. I wish they hadn’t removed it from the rotation in Co-op.

Schy I’m perhaps a bit sympathetic towards complaints. But I tend to like any map that keeps idiot bots and their often equally idiotic priority targeting from shooting at you from the other side of the map.